logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franklin Mint Clue Game - Box
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Franklin Mint Clue Game - Box Reply with quote

I'm sure this doesn't deserve it's own thread, but I was just remembering when I got my Franklin Mint Clue Game from eBay all those years ago. I'm pretty sure it was the first one ever listed there. Anyway, there weren't pictures, so I had to just wait and see. The anticipation practically killed me. I think my biggest disappointment was that there was no real box for the game. There was the shipping box, of course, but for some reason, I expected a game box too. I can only imagine what it would have looked like. Any artistic types out there wanna try and design for us what the artwork might have looked like?
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, no garentees though.
Missing Person

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I am up for a challenge. I will try to work on something.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some questions about the Franklin Mint game. Was surprised there was no thread dedicated to it alone, so decided to bump this one as it is the closest to being all encompassing.

Plus I would love to see someone come up with some artwork for a proper box! Wink

1) Michael this may directed at you alone since I think you are the only person who has had to open your Franklin Mint case to repair the Pool table, if I recall correctly. The game is advertised as being 24K gold plated. Now the weapons and playing tokens are metal, so I can see that they are easily electro-plated.

However, what are the items in the rooms made out of? The rooms appear to be the same cardboard construction of the Premiere Edition. But, some of those items look pretty substantial. If they are made out of metal, I would presume some of them are pretty heavy and would be putting a lot of stress on the rooms, enough to bow some of the floors even, which doesn't appear to be the case. But if they aren't metal, how could they be plated with 24K gold? Are they merely plastic, painted with 24K gold-leaf? In pictures, some items look really shiny, which I would not expect paint could achieve. Others though look dull.

2) The secret drawer. This is more of a marketing nit-pick kind of thing, but looking at pictures of an edition, I am seeing that there is hardly anything "secret" about it. There is clearly a knob on one side only suggesting a very obvious drawer. Frankly, if this were really a secret drawer, wouldn't a push-latch mechanism have been more appropriate? The kind where you press the drawer in slightly and it pops out enough to get your fingers inside it, then press to close. Only if you know to press the inlaid Clue logo can you access the then truly secret drawer. How about just a knob that pops out to pull with? It's a small thing, but come-on, it was a $600 game!
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been forever, but if I recall correctly, the pieces were very light. Coated plastic, I assume.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
It's been forever, but if I recall correctly, the pieces were very light. Coated plastic, I assume.

Wow. How do you plate anything but metal? Gotta look into this. One of the things that helped justify the price of this game to me was the 24K gold plating ... like a display case of something truly valuable (which is part of the problem I have with the cheapness of the Premiere edition).

I was given a used Franklin Mint Monopoly game some years ago (since sold because I never played it), and the one thing that was impressive about it was the houses and hotels ... substantial weight and plating, not just an easily scratched off coating.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it finally happened. I never imagined I would ever own a Franklin Mint game, due to the price and the fact I'm not that big a fan. But I was at a garage sale and came across a large wooden square wrapped in plastic. To my surprise, it was the Franklin Mint game. Looked like it was brand new. I asked the seller about it and he said he'd take $150 for it. Then he said he had all the parts for it in the box. Turns out he had the original shipping box as well. When I opened the white parts box, it looked like they had never been taken out, the cards had never been taken out of the plastic wrapping. What could I do? I had to buy it.

After I got it home and fully unpacked and assembled, I discovered there was no instruction/rule booklet. I had the certificate of authorship, and the care warning, and everything else. I was a little sad, because even though I have read Michaels' thoroughly documented page about it on this site, I was looking forward to sitting back and reading through the manual myself. So I drove back to the garage sale and asked the seller who told me it had been a gift he took out and played only a few times (which explained the condition and price), and did not remember such a booklet (I showed him a picture of the cover too). But he said he would look. I check with him once since, but he said if he ever had it, it was long gone, as he had gone through everything in preparation for his move.

So anybody with a copy of the rule booklet, PM me if you'd be willing to make a copy for me. As many here already know, the Franklin Mint's policy now is that they don't sell replacement parts, or even offer downloads of the instructions. Score one for Hasbro!

Once I was over that disappointment I began to appreciate what I had scored. First, the shipping box was in great shape too, especially being white. But like Michael, I was really disappointed there was not a more decorative storage box. I presume the Franklin Mint expected that people willing to spend $600 on such a game would always have it on display (the same reason they made a glass cover for the Monopoly game). However, I was surprised that the box was not more substantial, it's pretty flimsy cardboard with only styrofoam padding around two ends and the corners with only a thin sheet of styrofoam and cardboard protecting the glass, and a thin sheet of cardboard protecting the bottom. The parts box fit on one side of the board, protecting the secret drawer as well. Leaving one side completely unprotected except by the plastic bag surrounding the entire board. Come to think of it, a proper game box would have added one more layer of protection, however slight. Clearly Restoration Hardware had a box only because it was sold on store shelves. But that inner box definitely helped protect my Premiere edition during shipping as evidenced by it's crushing in places.

I'll put pictures up eventually for those interested.

Now the game board itself was in fantastic shape! Not a mark on it. The secret drawer fit nicely and I eagerly got the parts box unloaded into it.Still can't bring myself to unwrap the cards even though I want to look at them so badly. But just from the Peacock card I can tell how much higher quality they are from the Restoration Hardware Premiere edition.

Now for my first niggle – Everything fit perfectly into the secret drawer, except the certificate of authorship, which may explain why the instruction/rule booklet (which is the same size) was lost. You can't keep it with the game! My second niggle is with the drawer itself. The weapons, tokens and dice tray is a nice velveteen mount. The bottom of the drawer is clearly a lesser wood than the rest of the game as it is rough in texture and mine even has a small gash in the middle. For the original money, it should have likewise been lined by velvet. The *beep* mechanisms on which the drawer is supposed to glide is shop class 101 at best. The secret drawer, which is pretty obvious thanks to the big gold knob on the outside, is clearly named as some secret must be required to close it. It is an effort at best. Might this secret be included in my missing instruction booklet?

The other part that won't fit in the drawer is the murder solution "book", which is designed to sit in the middle of the board, evidently always on display. This is too bad because it covers the much nicer looking gold-leaf Clue logo on the board. I was actually surprised to find that the book is in fact plastic resin, rather than a ceramic box, as it has been described almost universally elsewhere. I'm not complaining, per se, it feel like ceramic, and looks it from the outside. But honestly, wouldn't an actual genuine leather book have been much more elegant and apropos for a game of this expense? It could have also fit in the secret drawer for storage. I mean, imagine if it had ben listed in the advertising: Mahogany and glass game board with 24K gold trim and playing pieces, with plastic resin solution card container. Oooh, how elegant! LOL

My next critique is about the detective note. They too are still wrapped, so I can only assume, the seller pulled out cards and notebooks from a standard game edition. And frankly, I will do the same. Even the cheapest edition's detective notepads are nicer than these plain white paper set with green print, and very few of them as well, which makes no sense considering this game is most likely to be purchased by an enthusiast who would play the game avidly. Considering Franklin Mint does not provide replacements, better not get used to using them anyway. Again for the original price, how much more would it have cost to add 6 leather detective pads to hold them, making even these cheap notes look nice. At a minimum, how about double the amount printed on a nice parchment?

While the playing pawns are some of the nicest I've seen, I was a bit surprised to find the colors are merely painted on (seemingly with grade-school level workmanship), not a vitreous enamel coating which one would expect from a game of this value. Miss Scarlet is also a sort of ruddy brown rather than Scarlet red. Considering it's just enameled paint, I will probably have to give her a fresh coat of paint.

The weapons are simply put a HUGE disappointment. Not only are they too small to easily grasp, but has been noted here, extremely fragile. They are also not particularly attractive, so I can't foresee ever using them, even for display. I would rather take the 50th Anniversary set to a jeweler some day and have them gold-plate them. The knife has already lost almost a third of its gold plate, which I super-glued back onto the knife (it was still in the shipping foam). Others are showing signs of cracked plating. Well at least that's one thing the FM & Premiere edition have in common – cheap weapons, which flake. The most ironic thing here, is that the more durable pawns have individual slots keeping them separated inside the secret drawer, while the extremely fragile weapons are thrown into a single container where they are going to constantly bump up against each other. Even the plastic dice are better protected. How hard would it have been to make individual slots in the drawer for the weapons?

But overall, while I have my criticisms, I can't really complain. In fact, I can fix most of my criticisms if I so choose.

Unfortunately, there is one small problem, with my board, though thankfully nothing was broken as in Michael's case. The corners of the top of the board have slight gaps where they bow upward. It's not noticeable except by observing light passing through. So I might leave it alone, except that there is a warp in the middle of the board on the ballroom. It appears as though while this board was stored, it may have been exposed to some humidity and cause this slight warping. So, per Michael's efforts, I will be opening this box to repair those things. And when I do it, I will take detailed pictures as I did with the Premiere edition.

Overall, the board itself is as nice as the Premiere edition, though it is satisfying to have properly sized tiles and the correct number of tiles next to the Ballroom and Hall. But the rooms really shine in this edition. Though still slightly shiny card stock, it is not quite as bad as the milk-carton stock of the Premiere. The quality of construction shines here though. The seams are perfect, corners square and walls and floors perfectly flat. And the rooms are large enough to to see the sharp intricate details of the artwork, which are somewhat blurry on the Premiere edition. I can't wait to see if the interior construction is as careful once I get it opened.

The bright gold furniture is also just as fulfilling. It makes me even more eager to repaint the Premiere edition's furniture, as that brownish paint they use is an insult by comparison. I am curious what exactly the furniture is coated with however. Is it really 24K gold plate? I have half-a-mind to take a piece to a jeweler and have him appraise it for me.

Stay tuned!
Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Everything fit perfectly into the secret drawer, except the certificate of authorship, which may explain why the instruction/rule booklet (which is the same size) was lost.

Are you telling me that the detective pads and playing cards fit into your drawer? They don't in mine!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
Are you telling me that the detective pads and playing cards fit into your drawer? They don't in mine!

Yes. But I have to lay them at an angle over the front accessory storage bin. I had to take the cardboard off the back of the detective notes so they would bend slightly to allow the drawer to completely close (so let me add that as another problem I have – they didn't need to be that wide considering they are custom).

That's odd they don't fit in yours. Where do you store them?

I see there's a strip of wood that runs along the back bottom, probably to prevent stuff from sliding under the game, which is why I had to take the cardboard off the back of the detective notes. When I open her up, I'll see if it's possible that it could be randomly mounted closer or further back. Maybe I just got lucky, or you got unlucky. Anybody else not able to store your cards and notes in the drawer?
Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my game, the playing cards and detective notes push up against the side of the sunken rooms along the drawer side of the game, preventing the drawer from closing.

When I took apart my game to repair it, I could not see a way to modify the drawer so the cards/notes could fit in there.
Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cards and the detective notes don't fit in my drawer since they push up against the sides of the rooms along that edge of the playing board. The drawer simply won't close, even if the cards/notes are placed on top of the felt holder for the playing pieces. I do not know how yours can fit in there unless the design is different to mine.

Incidentally I had to disassemble my board to reattach the fountain, which had come loose during shipping. I found that it was not possible to easily separate the sunken rooms from the glass. However, I was able to reattach the fountain by enlarging the hole slightly with a pencil, manoeuvring the board until the fountain fell into the hole, and then using a hot glue gun to reattach it from underneath.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew wrote:
I do not know how yours can fit in there unless the design is different to mine.

The black plastic liner is not what stops the detective notes cardboard back from fitting, it's the wooden strip along the bottom that the drawer bottom slides under. The liner just forces everything down at an angle. Once I open mine up I'll take pictures about how that strip is mounted on mine. Evidently it is far enough back to allow the cards to just fit with the drawer closed. No matter what, it is POOR design. Given the tight fit and your revelation, I suspect the Mint expected the cards would be kept inside the resin book on the center of the board, and the detective notes with the instructions in some completely separate location, which is why my rule booklet was probably lost. ;-(
Matthew wrote:
I found that it was not possible to easily separate the sunken rooms from the glass.

Interesting. Michael is the only other person I know of who has successfully reported that he disassembled his FM set. I'm pretty sure he had to remove the glass since leg of his pool table had broken off. He made it sound as if it were incredibly easy to take apart. Again, when I open mine up to fix the warped game board over the ball room (which means I'll have to remove the glass, I'll take pictures and relate my experience.
Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly different subject but still related to the Franklin Mint game, can anyone confirm that this is the official pedestal for the board:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180497893164&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_549wt_1139
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've seen this thread: http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3046

Sadly most of the pictures are auction links are gone now. The scrabble table pedestal is still there which was used on that last Clue auction.

Stylistically the table matches, but without exact dimensions of the top, hard to say. It differs from the Monopoly and Scrabble pedestal in that it doesn't have a section in the middle that fits into the bottom recess, while the game rests on the wider lip for structural support. This pedestal would have to be as wide as the entire recessed section, and then rely entirely on that inner bottom section for structural support. Was the game built for that? Then again it is also the largest of all the games and not meant to put any pressure on it. Surely nobody would lean on it during a game, or set something heavy on top of it as an end table?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:
when you look closely, you can see that the weapon and room cards have been illustrated and not photographed.

I just read the blurb about Drew Struzan in the Franklin Mint Rule Booklet.

It says:

Quote:
The portraits of the "suspicious" guests at Hollinghurst Manor, the depictions of the weapons and the cards representing each of the nine rooms are original works of art by Drew Struzan, the widely collected artist who has been called "a modern-day Rembrandt. ... Drew Struzan's greatest talent may be in his masterful ability to capture the essence of an entire era in a single work of art. This artistic genius is quite evident in the original illustrations that he has created for CLUE® – The Collector's Edition.

So it would seem that your original assessment of them is correct. Hard to believe an artist of Struzan's stature would have been employed to render photorealistic artistic images of items which could have simply been photographed and enhanced as I previously speculated.

That or the rule booklet misstates his contribution to those particular cards.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observations about The Cluedo Franklin Mint edition.

The obvious differences between the games is that everything on the board labeled Clue is labeled Cluedo. Otherwise everything else about the board and pieces are identical (except the inside of the book is black in Cluedo and unpainted in Clue).

Now we get to the cards. Again the card backs have all changed from Clue to Cluedo. But the fronts are identical. Likewise with the Detective notepad, where only the game's name has changed. Otherwise it matches the cards' labels.

But here's where it gets weird. I have not seen a German edition, but the French edition is all in English, identical to the UK game in every way, including the notepads. The only translation is in the Rule Booklet. Now I have not seen the inside of the French booklet, but I can only imagine it mirrors the changes in the UK English edition.

As expected, all references to Clue are changed to Cluedo. But here's the best part, all references to the Boddy family name are changed to Black!

Not only that, but the Wrench is renamed Spanner, wherever it appears in the booklet. The Knife, is ironically labeled as the Dagger in both the US and UK edition's booklet, but the card itself in all editions is labeled Knife.

Mr. Green remains unchanged in the booklet, and Scarlet is still spelled with only one "t", and there is no Piping of the Lead. This is true for the French edition as well, in which all of the remaining characters are the English names too. There is absolutely no localization of the cards. Nor is there any translation of the rooms or weapons, at least in the French edition.

Clearly the decision was made to print a single run of card fronts only in English, for which the rest of the games were adapted. So was the thinking at least if they weren't translated, the names matched up? Hard to imagine paying a premium for that! If I were French I would have been a bit insulted. I can only assume the German edition was similarly issued.
Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you disassembled yet?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, no. Been waaaay to busy to clear a workspace, and carefully disassemble and photograph the process. I realized when I started that the felt pads on the bottom had to be carefully removed and the adhesive was actually double-sided, so that it peeled off the pad, and to replace them, I would need to buy or custom cut new adhesive discs. So that realization along with my hectic schedule kind of stalled me, especially after you mentioned the part about the difficulty of separating the glass from the board - so I don't want to rush this, considering these things in good condition are selling for $800 on eBay and I'm not likely to keep it, given it's size, lack of space, expense and my general lack of appreciation for this addition. So it won't likely now be until the Holidays unless I suddenly find some free time between now and then. Then again I was thinking of selling it before the holidays, so I may have to make some time. Wink

My recent activity has been in FINALLY acquiring pristine copies of the Rules Booklet for both the US & UK editions. It's surprising it took me so long to track down even B&W photocopies of the booklets from other sources considering the members of this community who surely have this edition. Oh well ... I have them now. Ultimately these booklets are much more interesting to me than the game itself. Especially since I have the Restoration Hardware version to which they also apply, as I am going to eventually replace the couch in the lounge with a sarcophagus - a far more interesting project for me as well, which I have also not found the time to get around to. Sad

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2162&start=400

I'd still like to obtain a set of Cluedo game cards, which have the Cluedo branding on the cards, despite the fact they did not change Mr. Green to Rev. Green:

I'd also like to get the evidence "book", which seems much nicer than the Clue version, lined in black instead of the cheap yellow resin showing on the Clue version. Also, note that it uses the same mold as the Clue version, where the Clue logo was slightly raised. Here, they merely printed the Cluedo label over it without giving it the same custom raised relief, leaving the Clue relief visible behind it. It's clear which side of the pond this edition originated!

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another eBay auction which shows all of the items in the drawer. Mine do not fit like this, but this one seems to have misplaced the resin book, and instead uses a cheap confidential envelope, detective notes, and cards from the 1996 edition. Perhaps they fit better? Or the drawer has even more room than mine, or it is a later revision that improved the limited space even more than on mine. As I said before, mine would fit this way if not for the wood strip at the bottom back. There's more than enough room for the cards and detective note to slide under the rooms otherwise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150497315421
Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you go to the trouble of opening the playing board if you're just going to sell it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: