Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Post Reply
User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:34 pm

Found this link which suggests a June 28 release of a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Cluedo Game has been developed!

If so I’m really excited for it. It’s a perfect theme to adapt for Clue.

https://www.ozgameshop.com/classic-boar ... board-game


The idea was previously discussed here:

viewtopic.php?p=121711

User avatar
BBP
Junior Detective
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by BBP » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:31 pm

But will they make a chocolate version? :wink:

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:11 pm

A chocolate version would be divine!

But I’d take chocolate tokens. All the players get to eat their own, and the winner gets all of the weapons!

I’m thinking the backstory will be something like: Slugworth has promised to pay someone to steal one of Willy Wonka’s new candies. Find out who, in what room, and what candy they stole.

If only 6 players it’s Charlie, Veruca Salt, Violet Beauregard, Augustus Gloop, Mike Teavee, and Willy Wonka (who stole his own candy because he’s really Slugworth anyway and wanted to see how the kids react?). It’s probably better if it’s more of a Master Detective version with 10 characters with both kids and guardians. Even though it’s a stretch for Wonka to be a suspect, it’s not like they haven’t done this in other games — most recently Sherlock Holmes and Watson in the Marmalade game. After all, players will want to be Wonka if they buy this game. Maybe a different premise?

Since from the marketing logo they’re using, it looks like this is based on the Tim Burton film, the Slugworth premise probably doesn’t make sense. Maybe something a little simpler — while on the tour the Oompa Loompas discover that someone ate one of Wonka’s new experimental candies: who, what, and where? Not quite as exciting, but at least Wonka can eat his own candy.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Green
Slueth
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Matt would love did!
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:19 pm

What I'm curious about is if it's gonna be based on the book and have the same at from the book. The Tim Burton film of the same name would have been odd to make now. And if it was the Gene Wilder version. It would have been Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:23 pm

They’re using the Tim Burton film logo in the marketing photos. So it seems like they’re going to draw from that. Tim Burton has a huge following, and though almost 15 years old at this point, that film seems to have become the current favorite. Perhaps in part because of Burton and Depp celebrity. It certainly fits with the Nightmare Before Christmas edition, which is still being sold.

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:40 pm

it would make since if their trying to use the different wonka movies for different games. seeing the Gen Wilder film got to be a CandyLand game.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:40 pm
it would make since if their trying to use the different wonka movies for different games. seeing the Gen Wilder film got to be a CandyLand game.
Interesting. I didn’t know about that game. Perfect branding though. I would think USAopoly will make this game as well... so it’s odd that they would base different games on different films.

On the other hand, this is a Cluedo game (so far), so perhaps this is being made by Winning Moves in the U.K., and would explain using a different licensed film version, so as not to compete with USAopoly?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:56 pm
Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:40 pm
it would make since if their trying to use the different wonka movies for different games. seeing the Gen Wilder film got to be a CandyLand game.
Interesting. I didn’t know about that game. Perfect branding though. I would think USAopoly will make this game as well... so it’s odd that they would base different games on different films.

On the other hand, this is a Cluedo game (so far), so perhaps this is being made by Winning Moves in the U.K., and would explain using a different licensed film version, so as not to compete with USAopoly?
most likly. Tough I'm not sure why they would use the burton film. As for Tim Burton films. Most use classics like Nightmare, Edward Scissorhands and BeetleJuice for any new merch. I don't remember his version of wonka being that popular. Making one based on the book would make more since if an anaversery is coming up. actuly.... if it's coming out June 28. Burton's wonka came out July 10th 2005. Making it the 15th anavercery. So I could see that logic.

User avatar
BBP
Junior Detective
Posts: 670
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:19 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by BBP » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:12 pm

I'd prefer the book version. Or maybe the Primus version :lol:

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:04 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:56 pm
Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:40 pm
it would make since if their trying to use the different wonka movies for different games. seeing the Gen Wilder film got to be a CandyLand game.
Interesting. I didn’t know about that game. Perfect branding though. I would think USAopoly will make this game as well... so it’s odd that they would base different games on different films.

On the other hand, this is a Cluedo game (so far), so perhaps this is being made by Winning Moves in the U.K., and would explain using a different licensed film version, so as not to compete with USAopoly?
most likly. Tough I'm not sure why they would use the burton film. As for Tim Burton films. Most use classics like Nightmare, Edward Scissorhands and BeetleJuice for any new merch. I don't remember his version of wonka being that popular. Making one based on the book would make more since if an anaversery is coming up. actuly.... if it's coming out June 28. Burton's wonka came out July 10th 2005. Making it the 15th anavercery. So I could see that logic.
They do have a Roald Dahl Monopoly game.

https://winningmoves.co.uk/products/roald-dahl-monopoly

Perhaps the Burton film is much more popular in the U.K. It appears as though WInning Moves licenses USAopoly editions like Big Bang, and GOT, but the reverse isn’t true with Sherlock and Dr. Who. So perhaps due to licensing restrictions and conflicts, or lack of interest by USAopoly — this edition may not appear in the US?

The book turns 55 this year. So it’s an odd anniversary. But then so is 15 years. It’s the 30th Anniversary of his death next year, but that’s a weird date to acknowledge. His birth is 103 years, but better late than never?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Cluedo Coming Soon?

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:16 pm

you do have a point

Post Reply