25 Clue Questions

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Eh

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:12 pm

Yeah, I think Lord Gray is fine. He's eccentric, so what? Nobles have got titles, probably a bit of land and some income that requires little or no labor. Why shouldn't they put themselves to work? And being artist-type work, with, in the main, very little actual manual effort on the part of the lord himself, water-garden designing is an apt fit -- gets some use of that expensive education and sensitive temperament without scaring him off.

Also, I have to tell you, I really like his look, in general. I think it fits with the cast: it's a slightly different take on "posh." Who cares if he's John Hammond? I think John Hammond was an excellent creation, and Richard Attenborough is a fine addition to Clue.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:28 pm

MissScarletDidntDoIt,
MissScarletDidntDoIt wrote:For me, I can't stand Lavender. She just an excuse to include Asian Scarlet, but she is totally bland and boring, not sexy and mysterious!
I agree with you that there is nothing with Lady Lavender to hang your hat on. But, as I hope you will agree, I don't think it's true that if you have an Asian lady character she has to be sexy and mysterious.

I also don't like Sgt. Grey. I just don't get why there's a police officer at a high-class dinner party.
I have always imagined that he happened by. I think the inclusion of him is reminiscent of the Agatha Christie novel in which Hercule Poirot shows up at this fellow's country place during Christmas when he's having his family together. A policeman happens by, and if I recall rightly, he thinks he hears the sound of a loud struggle inside, or of a scream, and so he rings the bell and starts the panic that finds the body.

For all we know, there could have been a weird phone call to the police station that came from the house. Sergeant Gray is sent to investigate.

As for his being the murderer, he could have invented the phone call -- which, since in those days there weren't phone records kept, would have been very easy, or else in modern times could have been aided by electronic devices or an unwitting accomplice. So then he shows up.

"Excuse me, but there was a mysterious/creepy/threatening/warning/weird phone call to the police station. I need to see Mr. Boddy about this at once."

Mrs. White grunts at him and shows him into the study.

Once they're alone, Gray shouts, "You creep! You are my illegitimate father/killed my father/molested me as a child/are going to demolish my mother's house/are the King of the Vampires! You need to fix this!"

"Ha!" says Boddy. "I'm a greedy, selfish jerk and as soon as you get a cup of tea or something, you just get out of my house!"

An hour later, Gray -- in the same manner that Mustard or Scarlet or Madame Rose might -- rigs a complicated and improbable but still possible Rube Goldberg device that kills Boddy in a locked room and demolishes itself after so that no one knows it was ever there.

This is textbook country-house-mystery-novel material :)
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:MissScarletDidntDoIt,
MissScarletDidntDoIt wrote:For me, I can't stand Lavender. She just an excuse to include Asian Scarlet, but she is totally bland and boring, not sexy and mysterious!
I agree with you that there is nothing with Lady Lavender to hang your hat on. But, as I hope you will agree, I don't think it's true that if you have an Asian lady character she has to be sexy and mysterious.
No, but Asian Scarlet always is! Of course Asian suspects don't have to be sexy, but I'm pretty sure Lavender was just supposed to be Asian Scarlet in purple.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Gotcha

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:58 pm

If that was their intent, they definitely missed the mark by a mile.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Eh

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:Yeah, I think Lord Gray is fine. He's eccentric, so what? Nobles have got titles, probably a bit of land and some income that requires little or no labor. Why shouldn't they put themselves to work? And being artist-type work, with, in the main, very little actual manual effort on the part of the lord himself, water-garden designing is an apt fit -- gets some use of that expensive education and sensitive temperament without scaring him off.

Also, I have to tell you, I really like his look, in general. I think it fits with the cast: it's a slightly different take on "posh." Who cares if he's John Hammond? I think John Hammond was an excellent creation, and Richard Attenborough is a fine addition to Clue.
Well that's all fair, but I had to choose which suspect I hate the most, Lord Grey fits the bill. It's all a matter of personal opinion, and he just so happens to rub me the wrong way more so than many of the other suspects. It's like looking at an otherwise alright food, but your brain says "Ick."

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Eh

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:53 pm

No, I understand. I'm just saying ... liking him makes plenty of sense, too.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Re: 25 Clue Questions

Post by Adam106 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:53 am

EDIT.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:33 pm

1. Who's your favourite suspect in regular Clue?
-- Mrs. Peacock, but when if first got the game, it was Mr. Green because green was my favorite color.

2. What's your favourite weapon in regular Clue?
-- Wrench

3. What's your favourite room in regular Clue?
-- Lounge

4. Who do you usually play as in regular Clue?
-- [see username]

5. Caucasian Scarlet or Asian Scarlet?
-- Asian

6. Glamorous widow Peacock or Busybody Peacock?
-- Glamorous

7. Old Mustard or Young Mustard?
-- Older

8. Reverend Green or Mr. Green?
-- Mr. Green. I like Reverend Green, but if he's just a Mister, there's more mystery about who he is.

9. White the Housekeeper or White the Guest?
-- I like what Paul did on Cluedofan: Mrs. Peacock's personal maid, but guest to Dr. Black/Mr. Boddy.

10. Archaeologist Plum or University Teacher Plum?
-- Teacher

11. Dagger or Knife?
-- Knife. Then it could be ANY knife in the house, not just the old dagger on display in the Lounge.

12. Spanner of Wrench?
-- Don't care. It depends on where you're from, right?

13. What's your favourite edition of regular Clue/Cluedo?
-- 1996. It was my first CLUE and will always be my favorite.

14. Who is your least favourite character from any edition?
-- Master Detective Peacock. Just, ew...

15. One die or two dice?
-- One in a standard edition, but definitely two for an expanded edition like MD

16. What's your ideal amount of players?
-- 3 or 4, if I can find that many!

17. Who's your favourite additional suspect?
-- It's a ties between The Meadow-Brooks, and Rusty. I like having additional help around the house, and I also like Boddy having a lawyer with a wife who could socially rival Mrs. Peacock.

18. What's your favourite additional weapon?
-- Poison.

19. What's your favourite additional room?
-- Trophy Room. It makes sense that a man like Boddy would have done some hunting in his spare time, and he's got to have some place to show off.

20. What's your favourite part of Clue: The Movie?
-- The subtleties of the actors. I watched it yesterday, and I found myself studying the actors who were not the focus of the scenes. I noticed little things I had never caught before like facial expressions and small gestures that all made each performance so alive! It really is an underrated movie, especially when looking at the ensemble acting.

21. What's your favourite episode of the UK Cluedo TV Series?
-- I haven't seen enough to have a favorite.

22. What's your favourite solution from regular Clue?
-- I was always partial to Miss Scarlet in the Ballroom with the Candlestick. I guess it's because it was the one featured on the back of the box for so long.

23. What's your favourite solution from any additional Clue games?
-- Rusty in the Garden with the Lawn Gnome, just because it looks so funny in my mind.

24. What's your favourite additional Clue game?
-- Though I've never played it, I think I would really enjoy playing Super Cluedo Challenge. But going just on games I own, Museum Caper.

25. Clue or Cluedo?
-- I like Cluedo, but I can see why Clue was a better choice for American players.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:52 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:The subtleties of the actors. I watched it yesterday, and I found myself studying the actors who were not the focus of the scenes. I noticed little things I had never caught before like facial expressions and small gestures that all made each performance so alive! It really is an underrated movie, especially when looking at the ensemble acting.
I never noticed Mr. Green gulping in the Library in the beginning of the movie until subtitles said "Green gulps" or something along those lines

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

yes

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I must say, they do deliver fairly specific performances. One thing I like about Lesley Ann Warren's Scarlet is that she isn't just a brassy businessperson. Sometimes she's delicate, feminine. Notice the very demure way she smiles when Wadsworth takes her glass and Green pulls out her chair. The extra attention in these little details is nice, and she appreciates the opportunity to be a little softer than her usual persona.

Also during the dinner scene there's Mrs. White's asking, "Are you a doctor?" all soft and a little sultry, with the lowered eyes and intense manner. Because, of course, a doctor husband is quite a prize ...

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 pm

Exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about! I love it! Most movies I see today have somebody talking, they're the focus of the scene, and everybody else is just watching them talk! Just watching them! Looking at CLUE, I can tell that everyone is listening to the other people speak, not just watching them talk.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 pm

I usually find that's the case in older movies. It's always the little things that make a big difference.

Snively
Snoop

Post by Snively » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:38 am

1. Who's your favourite suspect in regular Clue?
Professor Plum

2. What's your favourite weapon in regular Clue?
Wrench

3. What's your favourite room in regular Clue?
Library

4. Who do you usually play as in regular Clue?
Plum!

5. Caucasian Scarlet or Asian Scarlet?
Hmm, Asian Scarlet!

6. Glamorous widow Peacock or Busybody Peacock?
Busybody Peacock (makes it more interesting)

7. Old Mustard or Young Mustard?
I like Both

8. Reverend Green or Mr. Green?
Reverend Green (even more interesting!)

9. White the Housekeeper or White the Guest?
White he Housekeeper! Duh!

10. Archaeologist Plum or University Teacher Plum?
Both, either, I don't mind

11. Dagger or Knife?
Knife

12. Spanner of Wrench?
Wrench all the way

13. What's your favourite edition of regular Clue/Cluedo?
Uh, that's hard...I dunno...

14. Who is your least favourite character from any edition?
Ms Peacock or Colonel Mustard (please don't kill me!)

15. One die or two dice?
Two! We get somewhere with two!

16. What's your ideal amount of players?
4. It's easier to win for me!

17. Who's your favourite additional suspect?
Hmm...Ms. Peach. Or Lady Lavender...

18. What's your favourite additional weapon?
The dumbell in that stupid Reivented verson. C'mon, a dumbell? It would be fun to kill some one with one of those!

19. What's your favourite additional room?
I dunno

20. What's your favourite part of Clue: The Movie?
Tim Curry aka Wadsworth, he's my favorite part!. I like "Alright fine, I'm shouting! I'm shouting! I'm shouting! I'm shout- *candlestick falls on head* I also like the part were Colonel Mustard get's hit in the head with an ironing board

21. What's your favourite episode of the UK Cluedo TV Series?
Ha, i don't think I have one

22. What's your favourite solution from regular Clue?
Professor Plum in the Library with a Wrench!

23. What's your favourite solution from any additional Clue games?
No that's still my favorite ^

24. What's your favourite additional Clue game?
The travel one player new one, that just came out. Does that count?

25. Clue or Cluedo?
Cluedo

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:44 pm

Mrs. Peacock...

...really...

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Peacock and Mustard?!?!?!?! How :shock: