logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue on stage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lycanthrope
Suspect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Clue on stage Reply with quote

I'm working on a stage version of the Clue film for a uni drama society and I'd like to know if anyone else has done it before. I'm also trying to find out who to contact to sort out copyright for the performance. Anyone got any ideas?
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clue on stage Reply with quote

Actually, a friend of mine and I are about to stage the dinner scene through the moment when Yvette screams for a local theatre membership meeting. At least, we're talking about it and we've got a starting script.

I suppose it's good we're starting now, because I really want to do this up proper. Not necessarily copy the costumes from the film, but try to capture their statements and match that. I've got good weapons, and the set can be fairly minimalist rehearsal benches, etc. But the meeting isn't until December, so we have some time.

Casting will be interesting, since it's just for a couple of scenes and we need nine people.
lycanthrope
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clue on stage Reply with quote

Nice to see I'm not the only one trying it then.
We'll probably be putting it on late December or early January, but seeing as we're putting the Ladykilers on in early October we'll be doing it all rather quickly. Seeing as we started planning months back we should manage though. Just got to find someone manic enough for Wadsworth and get the costume department, such as it is, going.
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clue on stage Reply with quote

Lycanthrope,

So, you're going to be able to stage the whole thing?

For whom are you performing? How are you staging the chandeliers and all the room changes?

Have you secured the performance rights? I don't know what all of the law is, but I rather think that performing a couple of scenes out of something is permitted in certain limited circumstances, but the performance of an entire piece, especially for a run of shows has got to carry some trademark/copyright obligations, yeah?
lycanthrope
Suspect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clue on stage Reply with quote

We'll be doing it all on the stage or just infront of it hopefully. Have to skip a few little bits I expect but nothing major.
Its just a student play for the uni, so anyon in the area that wants to come along and see it. Mainly students and people from the town. Get the occasional bus load from out of town as well though. The chadaliers are just going to be cardboard and tinfoil I should think. Pretty easy to knock up and someone off stage for the sound effects. ANd there'll be sets for the mina roms and minimalist ones for the others. Probably be combining a couple as well to cut down on changes.
I've been attempting to get the rights for it, but the original production company, whcih still holds the rights, is ignoring any attempts to get hold of them, so we're going ahead anyway and pointing out its their own fault if they're bothered about it. The writer seems more than happy for us to do it on stage anyway.
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clue on stage Reply with quote

The writer?

Are you referring to Jonathan Lynn? You've heard from him?
lycanthrope
Suspect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get hold of him a while back when I was working out who had the rights. He seems rather happy about the play.
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: lycanthrope Reply with quote

Lycanthrope,

Miraculous! I'm so happy for you -- that's fantastic.

The scenes that we're performing are for the benefit of the general membership of a local theatre, and in just exploring these scenes I keep peeling back layers in the dialogue. I'm helping my boyfriend, who'll be playing Mr. Boddy, with his lines, and those lines in particular have so much texture -- the words are really well-chosen.

As I say, the more I explore, the more I find; maybe not in the deep spiritual way of some shows, but in just sheer thoughtfulness and perspective.

Anyway, I'm glad that Lynn liked it. Can I ask you to share with me the full script? Is it basically a transcript of the movie, or did you do re-work plot elements or dialogue?
lycanthrope
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clue on stage Reply with quote

Theres a lot of timing involved in getting the delivery right for Clue. Some sections just wouldn't make sense if you altered the timing or intonation. It should be interesting to see how it turns out with our actors interpreting it. I'm having to be very careful with the editing of the script so as not to lose any of the underlying meaning as well.
I'm working from a transcript of the film I found on-line (http://www.geocities.com/notjustagameanymore/Script.html), and editing it to make it work on a stage. So far the editing's only on paper rather than the computer so I can't send youa copy of that at the minute. I'm rather old fashioned- I find it a lot easier to think with a pen in my hand rather than using a keyboard. Once I've finished doodling.
Pretty much all of the dialogue will be staying the same, along with the plot. I'm trying to make as few changes as possible really. So far hardly any in fact. That might change once it gets to re-hearsals though. Just have to see how it works out on our rather small stage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Gatherings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: