Clue Novel: In The Hall With The Knife

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Clue Novel: In The Hall With The Knife

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:30 pm

DD80E70A-DB88-494A-A595-EC930A2DEC99.jpeg
DD80E70A-DB88-494A-A595-EC930A2DEC99.jpeg (207.93 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

I’m buying a copy today after work; there’s a Barnes and Nobles just a few blocks from my haunted mansion

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Re: Clue Novel: In The Hall With The Knife

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 pm

My collection is growing. Somewhere in storage I still have the kids series too.

thumbnail (15).jpg
thumbnail (15).jpg (104.36 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 pm

I might give it a read! I think I remember it being announced but I completely forgot it existed till just now.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:43 am

cacums wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:50 pm
I might give it a read! I think I remember it being announced but I completely forgot it existed till just now.
Instagram told me about it

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:30 am

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Any idea if/when a paperback version may be released?

(Yeah, it may not be that expensive for a hardcover, but I'm assuming a tpb would be even cheaper, and I don't read e-books.)

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am

I’m on Chapter 7. (Slow reader and I only started it a couple days ago). There’s a lot of things I like about it. A few things that bug me here and there in different scenes is the lack of clarity due to narrowed focus by the narration; like not knowing if a certain character has left the room or if this character retrieved their most prized possession before running for their life. But the setting is vivid and the characters are interesting. There’s definitely elements of their original designs influencing their backstories and personalities, but not dictating them. Scarlett feels like Scarlet even though she isn’t a flirt. Mustard feels like Mustard along side the strong implication that he plays for my team 😉

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:48 am

No spoilers, I promise, but I’m finally confident that I think I know who the murderer is having finished chapter 23 (out of 29). I had suspected 2 others prior, the second of which would have irked me as a terrible twist, but thankfully I no longer suspect that character and now looking back at the story it makes perfect sense with the one I currently suspect.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 pm

Yep, I was right. Although the book kept me second guessing myself right up to the reveal.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:47 pm

I finished this book.

The good:

-I loved the various easter egg / nods to various Clue media (including VHS and the movie)
-In the description of the book on the cover, you get the sense that it only includes Mustard, Scarlett, Green, Orchid, Peacock and Plum. I was pleasantly surprised that White and Rusty are also major characters.
-There are a few decent twists

The bad:
-Peacock is frustratingly underwritten compared to the rest. I don't get it.
-There are two non-canon characters added to the story that add absolutely nothing to the plot. I don't get why they were included, especially at the expense of Peacock's page-time
-The book is definitely a little too Young Adult for my tastes. I think I would prefer a book about adult versions of all of these characters, with swearing and such. It was weird to have Young Adult / PG-rated language where a good old fashioned swear word would have felt more authentic.
-There are some really wayward side plots that I won't get into for the sake of being spoiler-free, but they didn't feel like they added anything. There aren't many plot threads to begin with, and the fact that some of the choices the author made were really left field and unresolved by the end of the book was.....odd. I know she probably had to leave some things open ended for a sequel, but I'm not sure I want or need a sequel based on this storyline.
-Because the material is presented in first-person from various characters at times, it felt obvious to me who the killer was. I did second guess myself a bit about half-way through, but came back to my gut before the end. This wasn't due to clues and deduction (which would feel good) but due to the structure of the narrative forcing me to rule out characters. For example, if we're hearing the private thoughts/inner monologue of a character being afraid of the killer / suspecting others....it's fairly obvious that they themselves are not the killer.

Net/net....I'm glad we're still getting new media, and thrilled for the easter eggs....but overall, this was a lot of potential squandered. Especially Peacock.

I recommend "An Unwanted Guest" by Shari Lapena for a much better closed house / snow storm murder mystery.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:52 pm

Could someone describe the characters physical features so I could perhaps draw them? And describe their character, like what they do and such...?
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:52 pm
Could someone describe the characters physical features so I could perhaps draw them? And describe their character, like what they do and such...?
I recommend reading it and the comic series. That way you get to experience more Clue media and have inspiration for more character portraits. More sales of the books will help support more content being made with the companies seeing this as a profitable franchise as a series.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:47 pm
. . . I think I would prefer a book about adult versions of all of these characters, with swearing and such . . .
Just because characters are adults, do books HAVE TO have them swearing?

To some, it may seem more "realistic", but in the past there have been many great adult books and movies that just didn't have swearing. (It's like movies that have "obligatory sex-scenes" just to show the movie is for adults, even if the sexual encounter doesn't add anything to the overall storyline.)

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:37 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
I finished this book.

The good:

-I loved the various easter egg / nods to various Clue media (including VHS and the movie)
-In the description of the book on the cover, you get the sense that it only includes Mustard, Scarlett, Green, Orchid, Peacock and Plum. I was pleasantly surprised that White and Rusty are also major characters.
-There are a few decent twists

The bad:
-Peacock is frustratingly underwritten compared to the rest. I don't get it.
-There are two non-canon characters added to the story that add absolutely nothing to the plot. I don't get why they were included, especially at the expense of Peacock's page-time
-The book is definitely a little too Young Adult for my tastes. I think I would prefer a book about adult versions of all of these characters, with swearing and such. It was weird to have Young Adult / PG-rated language where a good old fashioned swear word would have felt more authentic.
-There are some really wayward side plots that I won't get into for the sake of being spoiler-free, but they didn't feel like they added anything. There aren't many plot threads to begin with, and the fact that some of the choices the author made were really left field and unresolved by the end of the book was.....odd. I know she probably had to leave some things open ended for a sequel, but I'm not sure I want or need a sequel based on this storyline.
-Because the material is presented in first-person from various characters at times, it felt obvious to me who the killer was. I did second guess myself a bit about half-way through, but came back to my gut before the end. This wasn't due to clues and deduction (which would feel good) but due to the structure of the narrative forcing me to rule out characters. For example, if we're hearing the private thoughts/inner monologue of a character being afraid of the killer / suspecting others....it's fairly obvious that they themselves are not the killer.

Net/net....I'm glad we're still getting new media, and thrilled for the easter eggs....but overall, this was a lot of potential squandered. Especially Peacock.

I recommend "An Unwanted Guest" by Shari Lapena for a much better closed house / snow storm murder mystery.
Yeah it certainly wasn’t the best book I’ve read, but I did enjoy it. Certain bits of character backstory and development felt like red herrings straight out of a daytime soap opera; especially with Orchid and Green. I’m hoping it ties in more to a sequel. The lack of insight from Peacock did make her look pretty suspicious for at least half of the book, but surely that was intentional to influence the perception of the reader at the expense of her character development.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:31 pm
MrGreenJeans wrote:
. . . I think I would prefer a book about adult versions of all of these characters, with swearing and such . . .
Just because characters are adults, do books HAVE TO have them swearing?

To some, it may seem more "realistic", but in the past there have been many great adult books and movies that just didn't have swearing. (It's like movies that have "obligatory sex-scenes" just to show the movie is for adults, even if the sexual encounter doesn't add anything to the overall storyline.)
An established accredited writer would agree that things such as sex scene should be relevant to the plot, but personally I feel that some bits, such as a sex scene, could be included for entertainment value. I don’t expect many people to agree with me on that, but that’s how I personally feel about it.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:43 pm

lol. regarding swear words, it wasn't that deep. there were just a few moments where it was clear the writer had to use PG words that aren't normally used in day to day conversation instead of an S bomb, or nickname for a donkey.

i'm not saying they needed to have heroin and orgies.

and re: peacock. it's a shame what they did to her character. it was just so stark compared to the others.

i would prefer they not carry this into a sequel but instead reboot again like American Horror Story - same cast, different scenario / place in life etc

i'll buy whatever they put out there of course

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:03 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
I recommend reading it and the comic series. That way you get to experience more Clue media and have inspiration for more character portraits. More sales of the books will help support more content being made with the companies seeing this as a profitable franchise as a series.
Read both comics online, love them both! I highly doubt I get this one anytime soon.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
And what were some of the Easter eggs of Clue media used?

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:27 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:43 pm
lol. regarding swear words, it wasn't that deep. there were just a few moments where it was clear the writer had to use PG words that aren't normally used in day to day conversation instead of an S bomb, or nickname for a donkey.
Trust me I heard a LOT of cussing during my middle school and freshman high days (I'm 16). Even one comment about a lollipop (you can probably guess...).

Off-topic but there was this one kid in my Freshman English class wearing a sweater and pants with the Playboy Bunny. This was before lunch so I wonder how no one noticed till then.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:41 pm