Custom Clue Game Ideas

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Custom Clue Game Ideas

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks to Zoo's recent observations, I recalled how much really terrific custom traditional Clue/do games there are out there, many created by this very forum.

I know there are a few threads that are scattered around on this subject, including dedicated threads for showcasing specific games. I wish they were all organized better, or easier to search, so maybe this thread will serve to re-post all the widely dispersed postings.

That said, have we seen this one before? This is a really good-looking set very much in the tradition of what I think of as Clue. I like the Polaroid photograph approach, like pictures taken at a crime scene. Weapons and rooms would look great in this format as well.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I remember the cards. I think we all observed that the male suspects came from the film. The Leauge of Extraordiany Gentlemen.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Most of the suspects look great, excluding Mrs. Peacock and Mr. Green (both seem too young to me). Aside from that, these look great! Did you make these, or did you find them somewhere?
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:51 pm

No Zoo, they came from this thread and were created by the recently absent Green.

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... hp?p=81572

I will point out the Green was depicted as being quite young in the Franklin Mint edition. And Peacock has been depicted at about the same age as Scarlet since the 1996 edition, so there's precedent.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 am

I think Green is better young, there's a possible Green-Scarlet relationship. I do agree about Peacock, I think she's better middle-aged (40s) as she is dipicted more as the lady of the manor.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Hey! Make that the "recently reappeared Green"! :D

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Murder by Death wrote:And Peacock has been depicted at about the same age as Scarlet since the 1996 edition, so there's precedent.
Really? I've always thought the 1996 Scarlet was meant to young-ish (maybe 30s) and Peacock older (maybe by about 10 years?). Just look at the models they're based on. Scarlet is definitely meant to be younger, or at least to appear younger.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Custom Clue Game Ideas

Post by Murder by Death » Tue May 21, 2019 11:12 am

Picking up this thread as a discussion point for custom games. Came across this custom board which appears to have used a standard deck of playing cards, and overall has a sort of poker theme with the felt playing surface. I really like the 3D effect with the wood trim as well. This is the sort of custom board I’d like to make myself at some point ...

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 am

Um, it’s missing a room!!!!!

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:34 am

I've been playing with Tabletop Simulator and I made a variant Clue version that takes the layout of Master Detective (with some alterations), uses the art style of the 1972 Clue and adds Motives to the deductions.

I searched the web for a clean version of the Master Detective board and I think I actually ended up finding one here in the forum where someone was making a new board (can be found here: http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... 6&start=20). I took it and removed everything but the walls and some of the hedges as a guide.

I put in a marble floor for the hallways and re-did the grid. Then found textures to match the rooms like in the 1972 version.

Here's the result:

And I made more Suspect cards, matching the 1972 photo style:

Added the weapons from Master Detective and a few more...
Added 12 Motives cards...
Removed the Snoop mechanic from the Master Detective board...
Oh, and there's a victim.
And you're not trying to figure out what room the murder happened in. It's pretty obvious when the body appears.

And I'll share the game rules in the next post.
"We're all pawns, m'dear."

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:39 am

How to play:

1. Have the players choose a character from the Suspect cards. Set those cards by the players.

2. Shuffle the Suspect deck and draw one. This is the Victim. Set this card aside.

3. Shuffle the Locations deck and draw one. This is where the Victim's body is. Set this card aside with the Victim.

4. Take one of the sealed envelopes and place it in the Location drawn in #3.

5. Draw another card from the Locations deck. Place the other sealed envelope in that location. Return the card to the deck.

6. Roll the dice (2d6). This will be the number of Suspects in the game. If it's a 2, roll again.

Note: In this variant, the number of suspects is a random number between 3 and 12. Using two dice, it should fall mostly between 4 and 8.

7. Shuffle the Suspects deck, the Locations deck, the Weapons deck and the Motives deck. Locations will refer to where evidence is found.

8. Draw a number of Suspects equal to the number from #6. Set the rest of the Suspects deck aside.

9. Take the top card from the Suspects gathered and each of the other three decks. Place them under the 'Confidential' envelope.

10. Repeat #9, but this time place the four cards in the sealed envelope that was placed in the room from #4.

11. Take the remaining gathered Suspects, the Locations deck, the Weapons deck and the Motives deck and shuffle them together.

12. Deal the cards to each player. If not all players have the same number of cards, take a card from each player that's over and put those cards in the sealed envelope in the murder room from #3.

13. Players begin play in the Parlor.

14. Players may make suggestions in any room except for the Parlor.

15. If a player enters a room with a sealed envelope, they may choose not to make a suggestion this turn and instead look at the contents of the envelope. These should be marked off by the player.

16. When making a suggestion, the player may only suggest three of the four components.
If a suggestion is being made and it includes a room, it must be the room the player is in.

Note: Remember that the Location cards during the game refer to where the evidence can be found to support the accusations.
The Murder Room is announced at the start of the game along with the Victim.

17. Players must return to the Parlor to make a final accusation. All players and suspects are placed in the Parlor when a player makes their accusation.

18. When making a final accusation, the player must announce all four components (such as "Scarlet killed Prof Plum with the Knife because he was Blackmailing her. The evidence can be found in the Lounge.")

Note that since players aren't playing Suspects, they aren't moved to a room during the suggestions. They are moved to the Parlor for accusations, though.
However, if wrong then the accuser is removed from the game and play continues.

19. Any players pulled to the Parlor for a false accusation may, on their turn, choose to make their accusation or move back into the house to continue their investigation.

20. (Optional) If someone makes a false accusation and are removed from the game, they may choose a room to put a new 'Community Pile' with their cards in it. They are considered 'killed' by the murderer.

21. (Optional) If you prefer not to use dice, allow each player to move up to ten spaces on their turns. But they cannot pass through a room. If they enter a room, they must stop moving.

Community Piles explained:

To compensate for the additional cards, there is a 'community pile' that consists of one Suspect, one Weapon, one Room and one Motive. These are all considered 'proven innocent'.

The Victim is drawn at the beginning of the game, as well as the Room they are found murdered in.
Rooms in the game represent where evidence is found to support the accusations, as the murder room is already known.
There is another 'community pile' in the murder room that only contains extra cards from the initial deal. If there's not enough cards for everyone to have the same number, the extras are placed here to get everyone even.

During their turn, if a player enters a room with a 'community pile', they may choose to view the pile (the cards stay in the room the whole game) or they can make a suggestion. But not both.

You can always increase the number of 'Community Piles' to lower hand sizes if desired.
Players will just have to visit the rooms to eliminate the cards placed there from their list.

Motives, the new weapons and the rooms not in original Clue:

If anyone is interested, I'll post close-up detail of the new suspect cards.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:14 am

LeonardoMyst wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:34 am
I've been playing with Tabletop Simulator and I made a variant Clue version that takes the layout of Master Detective (with some alterations), uses the art style of the 1972 Clue and adds Motives to the deductions.

I searched the web for a clean version of the Master Detective board and I think I actually ended up finding one here in the forum where someone was making a new board (can be found here: http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... 6&start=20). I took it and removed everything but the walls and some of the hedges as a guide.

I put in a marble floor for the hallways and re-did the grid. Then found textures to match the rooms like in the 1972 version.

Here's the result:

And I made more Suspect cards, matching the 1972 photo style:

Added the weapons from Master Detective and a few more...
Added 12 Motives cards...
Removed the Snoop mechanic from the Master Detective board...
Oh, and there's a victim.
And you're not trying to figure out what room the murder happened in. It's pretty obvious when the body appears.

And I'll share the game rules in the next post.
That’s really great stuff. Nice work.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Now that's amazing, great work

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks, guys!

I haven't had a chance to playtest it, though.

The reasoning behind the design/gameplay:

1. The 1972 edition has always been a favorite of mine. Mostly because of the photography style and the more mature cast.
If you've seen the Two-Minute Mysteries books by Donald J. Sobol, the cover has a similar feel and both it and the 1972 Clue sort of captures the feel of Columbo for me.
I've wanted to make a 1972-esque version of the Master Detective board for some time.
The Gazebo and Fountain got removed because I found them difficult to make a texture image for that would get across what area it represented.
Meanwhile, I shortened the Garage (formerly the Carriage House) and I moved some of the other rooms around to put the Conservatory by the Garden and to give the Ballroom more area.
I considered putting side-paths from the Lounge to Pool and from the Conservatory to Garden, but opted to keep it as is for now.
I also removed the Courtyard and re-added the Hall.

2. I always felt that the Murder Room was a bit questionable as a deduction element, because the body would've most likely been found there.
So I added a Victim, randomly drawn from the suspects pool each game, and a Murder Room (also randomly drawn).
Rooms are still part of the deduction, but now it's where the evidence can be found.

3. I really liked the Motives element in Whodunit, and I've been playing Matter of Murder (which replaces the Rooms with Motives), so I wanted to make the game a bit more complex by adding Motives to it. However...

4. Adding the Motives and the extra Weapons can make for a lot of cards.
To compensate, there's two more changes.
First, there's a random number of suspects each game (from 3 to 12). Depending on the number of Suspects the cards could equal anywhere from 39 to 48. This also adds to the changing nature of the game, alongside the random Victim and Murder Room, to keep things fresh each play.
Second, I added the Community Piles.
By default, it puts one of each card in a random Room. This reduces the card pool to be dealt out by four and gives the players a reason to investigate rooms.
There's a second Community Pile in the Murder Room that holds any extra cards to keep everyone with equal hands.
If playing with a small number of players, it may be a good idea to set up another Community Pile.

5. While there's four elements, each time a player makes a suggestion, they still can only suggest three of the four. And if they're suggesting a Room as one of the elements, they must be in that room (as it represents them searching for the evidence).
And Players must return to the Parlor to make an accusation.

6. Players are only moved to the Parlor for accusations. They don't get moved for suggestions, as the players aren't playing the Suspects in this game, but rather a group of guests caught up in the drama.

I also forgot to mention in the rules that a Player 'can' camp in a room and choose to make a suggestion each turn without moving.
However, they will need to move to other rooms to a) see the Community Pile cards, b) suggest another Room and c) return to the Parlor to make an accusation.

If anyone does get a chance to playtest, let me know.
I'll list off the cards in the next post.
Last edited by LeonardoMyst on Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Suspects Pool - 1-18 of 37

Three each of:
Col. Mustard
Prof. Plum
Mr. Green
Mrs. Peacock
Mrs. White
Miss Scarlet
(this includes the original 1972 cast, the DVD game cast and the film cast)

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Suspects Pool - 19-36 of 37

Lord Gray
M. Brunette
Mr. Brown
Lady Oakwood
Madam Rose
Mrs. Silver

Capt. Cherry
Mr. Frost
Sgt. Gray
Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Miss Black
Miss Peach

Rusty Nayler
Mr. Gold
Prince Azure
Miss Grey
Lady Lavender
Dr. Orchid

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 pm

Suspects Pool - 37 of 37

Ms. Knight

Weapons List

Rope
Wrench
Candlestick
Revolver
Lead Pipe
Knife
Poison
Horseshoe
Letter Opener
Poker
Statue
Axe

Motives List

Fear
Secrets
Anger
Revenge
Power
Position
Love
Hatred
Blackmail
Insanity
Jealousy
Wealth

Rooms List

Ballroom
Billiard Room
Kitchen
Dining Room
Lounge
Hall
Conservatory
Study
Library
Garage
Pool
Garden

Btw... I made this as a mod for Tabletop Simulator in case anyone was curious.

I found a font online that matched the cards and not only typed up the new cards, but I also re-typed all the originals to clean them up.

I thought about making the Suspects Pool 40 cards even.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:12 pm

LeonardoMyst wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 pm
http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... f=1&t=5254

If you ever need ideas :P

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:12 pm
LeonardoMyst wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 pm
http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... f=1&t=5254

If you ever need ideas :P
Thanks!
That will help!

Don't know if you noticed, but I added Yvette as Miss Black.

I was wondering...
Rusty Nayler seems to be the only one that I did that had a first name descriptor.

How do you feel about him? Or the use of a first name for characters?

I have a couple ideas, but one is "Amber Fields".

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:28 pm

I believe if there's a color in it, it will probably work. You can even go as far as "Franklin Mint" lol

All in all, these are turning out pretty well. The Yvette card was a nice touch. Very clever using the existing photos for the characters needed. If need be there's probably photos of Didit and Inspector Pry somewhere as well as the other people from the movie.