New Clue Road Trip Travel Game Coming

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

New Clue Road Trip Travel Game Coming

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Looks like there’s a new Clue travel game coming as part of Hasbro’s Road Trip Series.

I was previously unaware of these games, but looking at the other editions, they appear to be substantial, high quality travel games, with a reasonable price. Still surprising to see physical travel games given the wide spread use of phone and tablet apps.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battleship-R ... ected=true

The cluedo game appears from the picture to be similar to the peg travel cluedo game from the 90s.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Re: New Clue Road Trip Travel Game Coming

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Now we all can say good bye to that Clue DTS to-go game! Thank God!
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 pm

I wonder if this will come to the States or just be a UK thing?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 25, 2019 2:08 pm

It appears to have an actual Road Trip Theme as well as brand new art.

There’s road trip themed locations, like a restaurant, a bar, a gift shop, and hotel room; and there appear to be new weapons— luggage, champagne bottle, and maybe a pillow. Scarlett has some great new portraiture. There also appears to be some new play mechanisms. The center has pegs and holes for all suspects, weapons and locations. And there appear to be only 7 locations.

I’m excited for this game to come to the US. Note the marketing photos are of “Clue” on this Italian site. But all other sites are Cluedo, and various languages. But I can’t find a single US retailer website that lists the Clue version.

EDIT: looks like it’s available in Oz starting 6 June.

https://toyshoponline.com.au/board-game ... esale.html

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat May 25, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Sat May 25, 2019 2:39 pm

ok now i'm excited! new art, new location, and a new version of Orchid that isn't a parody/knock off. Can't wait to see all of the new cards.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 pm

Telling from the red weapons pieces, the new weapons are: Revolver, Dagger, Rope, Cushion, Luggage, & Champagne Bottle
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Mon May 27, 2019 11:40 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:08 pm
I can’t find a single US retailer website that lists the Clue version.
Neither can I. I saw the others in this series (Battleship, Sorry, Scrabble) in stores a while ago, but no Clue. Once again, I just don't understand the thinking that seems to go on at Hasbro. Why on earth would they not be marketing it to the U.S.?

quicking
Suspect

Post by quicking » Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 pm
Telling from the red weapons pieces, the new weapons are: Revolver, Dagger, Rope, Cushion, Luggage, & Champagne Bottle
I would've chosen different weapons for the game. (I don't know what. I haven't thought about it properly.)

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon May 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Looks like the same artist of Clue 2016 is doing this version.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon May 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Mr. Sterling Silver wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:40 am
Murder by Death wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:08 pm
I can’t find a single US retailer website that lists the Clue version.
Neither can I. I saw the others in this series (Battleship, Sorry, Scrabble) in stores a while ago, but no Clue. Once again, I just don't understand the thinking that seems to go on at Hasbro. Why on earth would they not be marketing it to the U.S.?
Well, they’ve clearly designed a Clue version based on the marketing photos. And Clue is primarily North America. So I wonder if portable physical games are less popular in domestic road trips, compared to electronic games? Keep in mind, Marmalade has invested quite a bit in developing Clue, so maybe they don’t want anything competing directly with it on those Summer family road trips. And certainly electronic Clue is available on enough platforms to keep the kids busy in the backseat. So Hasbro is rolling the game out first outside North America where many more languages are needed, and the demand for mobile physical games is higher?

There’s also the fact that Hasbro seems to still have plenty of the Grab and Go versions of Clue available that they need to get rid of before they launch this new one, especially if it’s going to be in the same price range.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 pm

If this Battleship game is the same size as Clue then these games are huge. Very different from any other travel games Hasbro has made in the past.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:13 pm
If this Battleship game is the same size as Clue then these games are huge. Very different from any other travel games Hasbro has made in the past.

Tell me about it! I went to Wal-Mart two days ago and I went to check if the Clue road trip game was out! It wasn’t there, but I was surprised how massive the other games were. They’re long as my noodle arms!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Posted on the Hasbro site:

https://shop.hasbro.com/en-us/product/h ... 3DD8C9305A#

Looks like the 7 locations are:

Restaurant
Bar
Honeymoon Suite
Spa
? Bedroom
Gym
Gift shop

I can’t quite tell what the other Bedroom is, maybe Guest Bedroom, but this game certainly makes up for the lack of bedrooms in clue games over the years.

There also don’t appear to be any secret passages. But Hasbro makes this interesting claim on their website:
With this edition of the popular whodunit game, an exclusive Hasbro Gaming Road Trip rule adds a new twist to gameplay by advancing a player to the room of their choice.
I’ll be very interested to see what this is.

I still don’t know what I assume the starting space room is supposed to be — maybe the front desk? But hopefully we’ll all be finding out soon with this addition to the Hasbro website.