New Clue app for iOS

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Pherin91
Suspect

Post by Pherin91 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 am

Since Murder Express is set in the 1920's I'd say that the Glass is made of lead crystal. This would make it stronger and heavier. I believe it would be a very effective weapon.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 am

Pherin91 wrote:Since Murder Express is set in the 1920's I'd say that the Glass is made of lead crystal. This would make it stronger and heavier. I believe it would be a very effective weapon.
How exactly?

I have a set of heavy leaded glass tumblers from the 20s that belonged to my grandparents. I also have a modern set which are essentially the same. Short of breaking them and stabbing someone in the neck, they would not otherwise make a very effective weapon. They would hurt, maybe daze someone momentarily if thrown hard enough at their head, and hitting the right spot, but it wouldn’t likely kill them. And you might risk breaking it in such a way it couldn’t be used as an effective stabbing weapon (having lost one which shattered after dropping on the floor). But they could serve up a nice dose of poison very effectively.

I don’t hate the idea of such a weapon, after all, it makes for a cool story — in the heat of passion someone smashed the victim in the head while having a drink, dazing them long enough to pick up a deadly shard and stab them in the jugular, before they could cry out, or fight back, or apply pressure to their wound as they sought help.

But a lot of things have to go exactly right in that scenario, and as a trusty, reliable weapon in the collection, assuming pre-meditated murder, I’m not sold on it. I’d rather it be something else. Poisoned c o c k tail works perfectly for me.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
The Late Dr Black wrote:Question: is it just me or does anyone else, sometimes like to think that the "Glass" in the Train edition, is either broken and used as a blade or full of poison or cyanide and drunk by the victim.

I just had Dr Orchid with the Glass in the Sleeper Room. I couldn't help thinking she slipped iarsenic in his drink as a nightcap!
Thank you ... that is the rationalization I needed to make the “glass� work. Of course it’s for poisoning. Though I guess in a pinch it can always be broken off and shoved in the jugular of a sleeping or otherwise unsuspecting and incompactated victim.
The trouble with several weapons is that they seem ineffective. I have taken to imagining various possibilities.

The Amulet having a garrotting ability.
The Gold nugget being heavier than I first imagined.

When I first played Cluedo as a kid, we all wondered how the Candlestick would be used to fatal effect. I remember someone suggested that you might burn the victim that way. What a horrible thought!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm

I imagined the amulet has some supernatural killing power befitting to the theme.

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:58 pm

I recently got the Steam version during the Summer Sale (no, it wasn't on sale, but it's one of the few times each year I put a bit of money into my Steam account -it just so happened that I really wanted to get Clue more than anything that was actually on sale).

The art is fantastic. It's really a step up from the Android version.

And my favorite feature of the Steam version?
Not having to toggle or scroll the clue sheet.
Not having to toggle, and having it up all through play, really speeds things up for me.
And not having to scroll means no misclicks (that can be disastrous if you're in a hurry and don't catch it right away).

I left a nice review for the game (I'm Arcturus).
"We're all pawns, m'dear."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:19 pm

LeonardoMyst wrote:I recently got the Steam version during the Summer Sale (no, it wasn't on sale, but it's one of the few times each year I put a bit of money into my Steam account -it just so happened that I really wanted to get Clue more than anything that was actually on sale).

Not having to toggle, and having it up all through play, really speeds things up for me.
And not having to scroll means no misclicks (that can be disastrous if you're in a hurry and don't catch it right away).

Ugh. I really really really want the Mac port! There’s a Steam App for the Apple TV which would allow me to play it in beautiful landscape on my 65� TV and I can’t do squat with it at the moment.

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Do you guys think that when the weapons are shown and the suggestions are made, are those just thoughts, or are the suspects actually reenacting the crime. If it is the latter, then the broken scotch glass theory starts to fall apart.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:17 pm

LeonardoMyst wrote:I recently got the Steam version during the Summer Sale (no, it wasn't on sale, but it's one of the few times each year I put a bit of money into my Steam account -it just so happened that I really wanted to get Clue more than anything that was actually on sale).

It is gorgeous, isn't it? I'm so sad my laptop bit the dust last week (it was OLD, so I knew it would happen before the year was out) because I've been stuck with the mobile Clue game until I can get a new computer (no time soon). I didn't really appreciate how much easier the game plays on a computer than it does on mobile until I had to use the mobile version, again.

To be fair, my tablet is also getting on in years, which could account for a lot of the lag I'm seeing in Clue & other apps. But still, everything you pointed out is absolutely correct: the game simply looks leaps & bounds better than the portrait-locked mobile version, and diligent note keeping is a breeze in comparison.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

LeonardoMyst
Suspect

Post by LeonardoMyst » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:Do you guys think that when the weapons are shown and the suggestions are made, are those just thoughts, or are the suspects actually reenacting the crime. If it is the latter, then the broken scotch glass theory starts to fall apart.
I always think of that Carol Burnett sketch where actors are enacting a story while a writer is typing and changing things constantly.
"We're all pawns, m'dear."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Here’s the complete theme pack grid.

I need some help with the character assignments though. I’ve used the Marmelade postings for all of them, but the Snowy Peaks theme really didn’t give character descriptions. So I used the background room art work as starting points. Maybe I missed some postings, and there are more detailed backgrounds for these chatracters, so any input would be appreciated toward fine tuning the character list.

I also added some color coding to map out the room alignment. Some duplicate function rooms are consistent across the board, others are randomly located all over. Seems like they could have been a little more consistent with this, but maybe not.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:Do you guys think that when the weapons are shown and the suggestions are made, are those just thoughts, or are the suspects actually reenacting the crime. If it is the latter, then the broken scotch glass theory starts to fall apart.
Here’s the funny thing about the glass ... the sound effect when selected is most definitely that of a glass being broken. The illustration is that of an intact glass, being used as a kind of bludgeon, not even being thrown to maximize any weight it might inherently use to its advantage. But it really just looks like someone making a toast. It’s depicted as a pretty lame weapon, but that’s probably just because they originally did the artwork for the basic weapons then added the glass later. Then again he velvet rope looks pretty dumb in these poses too. So I’m not sure we can really take he artwork as being indicative as to how the weapon is used. I’m inclined to go with the sound effect of the glass breaking, and the artwork is merely the representation of the weapon used, not an actual depiction of the post murder scene. A reenactment if you will, not a flashback, but a la Wadsworth racing around the scene after the fact, placing guests in the positions he wants them in, along with the weapons he accuses them of using.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 am

The Glass thing doesn't worry me greatly. As I said in my previous post , I imagine it to be either broken or containing poison.

The SKI on the other hand seems far fetched as amurder weapon. Any ideas ?

billshivani
Suspect

ghgjg

Post by billshivani » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:36 am

hih gjhgkh

billshivani
Suspect

Post by billshivani » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 am

jghjgj fhf

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am

The Late Dr Black wrote:The Glass thing doesn't worry me greatly. As I said in my previous post , I imagine it to be either broken or containing poison.

The SKI on the other hand seems far fetched as amurder weapon. Any ideas ?
Several of these weapons are poorly thought out. And the way they are depicted in the games doesn’t help (e.g. standing over the victim menicingly brandishing an intact drinking glass). That said, I have less of a problem with a ski, than I do with the ski pole. A ski has a certain amount of weight and length that makes it a decent bludgeon when swung. Add to that the sharpened metal edges and chunky metal bindings and a ski could do some real damage. I’d think it’s right up there with a boat oar in terms of effectiveness. It might take a few we’ll placed swings but should cause enough head trauma to both incapacitate and kill the victim. The key is taking the victim by surprise, but that’s long been true of the rope too. I’m not sure I see an alternate means of murder for the ski, like the excellent suggestion of poison for the glass, short of sliding Mr. Boddy off the cliff on it — and that’s not really practical.

Now, the ski pole is a lightweight aluminum shaft, which could never be used as a bludgeon, like a golf club. I think the implication is that it’s supposed to be used as a stabbing skewer, but even there, the depiction is that of a standard ski pole with large baskets on the tip, so it would create a flesh wound at best. In this configuration, the most logical use would be stabbing into an eye socket, and again might merely put an eye out. A racing pole without a basket on the end might be a more effective weapon to impale the victim, but ski poles aren’t really designed to pierce flesh and bone, and might just as easily break as do serious damage. Again the eyes, or neck would be the target.

At some point we just have to accept the weapons as whimsical themeatic choices, like the icicle which is clearly not a serious or depndable weapon, but relies on the most perfectly aligned set of circumstances to be effective. We’re mostly inspired by the idea of it, over the practality of it.

I guess that’s what bothers me about the glass. As an instrument to convey poison it’s brilliant and fits within the theme. As a bludgeon it’s kind of silly, and as a stabbing weapon, it fits poorly with the theme. Breaking off a glass and stabbing someone is more in line with the Wild West bar fight than an elegant train setting. The horseshoe is a poor weapon in my estimation as well, but it fits within the various themes in which it has appeared. And that’s likely the most we should expect from a game which trivializes murder. Afterall, the snow ski is certainly a far more viable murder weapon than the tennis racket from FX!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm

I know I'll probably be in the minority here, but rather than themed versions I'd like to see another standard classic set with reskinned suspects, weapons, and rooms. A lovely rendering of Hollinghurst Manor and the Franklin Mint cast perhaps?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm

cacums wrote:I know I'll probably be in the minority here, but rather than themed versions I'd like to see another standard classic set with reskinned suspects, weapons, and rooms. A lovely rendering of Hollinghurst Manor and the Franklin Mint cast perhaps?
I don't think you're in the minority. I think several of us would like to see that. I'd love to see the 1972 edition, and even the 1963 edition. Unfortunately, it seems like Hasbro has not been licensing their artwork to them, just the characters and concepts, for some reason. All of Marmalade's artwork is original to them.

Given that, new themes seem to be the best we can hope for. The Franklin Mint artwork is a particularly complicated licensing situation as well, as I believe the rights to it were purchased by Winning Solutions, which itself has to secure additional rights from Hasbro to re-issue it.

For the gaming world not particularly invested in Cluedo the way we are, themes are probably a lot more interesting than previous boardgame re-issues. The one version that might get a lot of attention by all audiences would be the Movie version, but that would definitely be a quagmire of rights issues.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:50 pm

One thing I pointed out ways back is the Franklin Mint illustrations are in fact direct copies of pre-existing photographs and illustrations from the period, with a bit of colour correction. I imagine it would be of fair use to copy from those?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:21 pm

CluedoKid wrote:One thing I pointed out ways back is the Franklin Mint illustrations are in fact direct copies of pre-existing photographs and illustrations from the period, with a bit of colour correction. I imagine it would be of fair use to copy from those?
Really? I guess I missed that, or forgot it. So Drew Struzan was hired to do paintings of prexisting period photos and illustrations? If that’s true, anybody could adapt them. The only possible issue might be with the right of publication of a private individual which would persist to the estates of any actual person depicted.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Just realised that in the Hollywood edition.

Rusty's goods is now missing!!!