"CLUE On Stage" Script Available *for FREE*

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

"CLUE On Stage" Script Available *for FREE*

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat May 12, 2018 12:19 am

Publishing & rights company Broadway Licensing has acquired the stock & amateur performance rights to "CLUE On Stage," which we all remember premiering last year at the Bucks County Playhouse. Broadway World article

WELL

Curious producers (and Clue/do lovers like us) can pop over to their official website and read the entire script for free! They're even offering an official high school edition (so drama department heads and school administrators don't have to butcher the script trying to censor it on their own).

I'm so stoked! I'll be reading the original script tonight, and I'll pop back in with my thoughts once I've had a chance to read the high school edition as well.

Now I just need to get someone in Atlanta to produce it in the 2018/19 season. Michael, how would you like to finance the Atlanta premiere? :wink:
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Interesting. I'm surprised it's available to read for free like that. It's especially funny since it has a copyright notice that expressly forbids photocopying -- the digital equivalent of which, this makes easily possible. You don't even have to register to read it. And they sell a digital copy for only $7 ... $15 for a paperback book version. Odd.

I'm also surprised it's only 68 pages long.

Also, did we previous discuss that there's no Singing Telegram girl in this play? That was one of the best parts of the movie!

EDIT: Evidently the Singing Telegram Girl is in the play, she's just not in the case list for some strange reason. I guess it's up to the cast to figure out who has time to play her.

I am curious to see how they've censored the High School version.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sat May 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Murder by Death wrote:I am curious to see how they've censored the High School version.
Absolutely no murder allowed

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun May 13, 2018 5:19 am

Anyone else notice that they screwed up the colouring for Mustard and Plum's silhouettes on their banner?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun May 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:I am curious to see how they've censored the High School version.
Absolutely no murder allowed
Ha. Not quite. I downloaded both and am going to do a doc compare on Adobe Acrobat Pro at work. I'll post the differences.

EDIT: I was able to do it using Kaleidoscope. There are very few substantive differences between the two and most focus on the use of the word "s e x", or adult situations. It swaps those references out throughout the play similarly:
HS wrote:YVETTE, a French maid with her own secret aspirations. (Also plays the REPORTER in the final scene).
MISS SCARLET, a dry, sardonic D.C. socialite who is interested in secrets and classified affairs.
Standard wrote:YVETTE, a sexy French maid with her own secret aspirations. (Also plays the REPORTER in the final scene).
MISS SCARLET, a dry, sardonic D.C. madam who is more interested in secrets than sex.
What's interesting is that the above applies to stage direction, and not dialogue. This next one applies to dialogue that's not even in the movie. I find it hilarious that they don't also remove the stage direction for Yvette to be flirtatious, even as they remove e dialogue which references the implication of same.
HS wrote:WADSWORTH. (Turning to YVETTE:) Yvette, will you attend to the Colonel and give him anything he requires.
YVETTE. (Flirtatiously:) Oui, Monsieur.
(YVETTE takes a confused MUSTARD’s coat and offers him a glass of champagne,
Standard wrote:YVETTE. (Flirtatiously:) Oui, Monsieur.
WADSWORTH. Within reason, that is.
YVETTE. You spoil all my fun!

(Disappointed, YVETTE takes a confused MUSTARD’s coat and offers him a glass of champagne,
I found this particular exchange rather amusing:
HS wrote:WADSWORTH. You know how male doctors aren’t supposed to date their lady patients?
SCARLET. Yeah?
WADSWORTH. Well, he did.
PEACOCK. How unethical!
Standard wrote:WADSWORTH. You know what male doctors aren’t supposed to do with their lady patients?
SCARLET. Yeah?
WADSWORTH. Well, he did.
PEACOCK. How disgusting.
Of course Scarlet's "business" is completely sanitized with a double-entendre for those in the know. She now works for the government, handling many government "affairs".

And then there's some that seem completely unnecessary:
HS wrote:SCARLET. Why not? I enjoy getting presents from men.
Standard wrote:SCARLET. Why not? I enjoy getting presents from strange men.
I also find it odd that they allow smoking in the High School version. They could have easily omitted that detail (along with the "s e xy" maid description.

So, no need to really read both versions, as there's only about a dozen lines throughout that are changed or omitted.

I'm curious to finally read this though, as it appears they've added a few things, and removed a few others from the film. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole replacing the dog poo sniffing joke with a cat allergy, and then turning that into a dead cat joke later, though I suppose it's a clever way to avoid having to depict a crashing chandelier on stage.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun May 13, 2018 10:17 pm

I also got to read the high school version. I agree, most of the changes seem unnecessary, but I'm glad it's an available option for any schools that need a moderately tamer script.

What really struck me while reading the play is how difficult it would be to do it well. Any creative team could do a perfectly competent production, but to nail the kind of humor the writers have infused into the script, the director and cast would all need to be very well versed in both physical comedy and, to an extent, dance.

I'm curious how it would play to an audience member who doesn't know the movie backwards & forwards. On the page, at least, it seems like most of the dialogue would just fly by, especially at the end when they start revealing all the solutions.

68 pages is pretty standard for a one act play. Even many full length plays I've read/worked on only run just over 70 pages. If we go with the usual estimate of 60-90 seconds per page, plus a few minutes for scene shifts & choreographed movements, then we're looking at a comparable running time to the movie. If a company really wanted to, they could stick an intermission in before the cast splits up to search for the evidence.

MBD, how did you manage to download the PDFs from the website? I can usually figure these things out, but I'm having trouble this time around.

EDIT: never mind! Turns out Ctrl-P was all I needed. :D
"But look what happened to the cook!"