logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winning Moves' MASTER DETECTIVE Reissue
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine just came in the mail today. The colors are much more vivid and stand out wonderfully!

I like it! The cards are so clean and crisp. The detail is amazing! I haven't taken the weapons out to inspect them individually (aside from counting to be sure they're all there). The pawns look nice with the brightness of the board. Perhaps my MD board is just muted, dull, and greyed from age, but this feels like a whole new mansion to me. The carpets definitely win in this game!

Some Things-

I noticed they replaced the illustrated "space" at the Fountain/Gazebo doors and put and actually yellow square to avoid confusion. Personally, I didn't count that as a space, but as a door, so now I have an extra space to get to those rooms now :'(

Also, what's with the Garden Walk's secret passage arrow? It's normally a yellow arrow in the cobblestone isn't it? It seems weird that it's an exact cut from the Basement Stairs' arrow.

Also also, the board folded the way I don't like. I like it when the surface area folds inside twice. This one folds with the Courtyard/Fountain/Gazebo facing up.

Overall 8/10
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My board folds with everything inside. Not sure what happened to yours before it was packaged, but it definitely shouldn't be folding out as you've described.

I can't believe I didn't notice the changes in the tiles & garden passage. I suppose the intention was to add clarity? Though it does make the garden walk look like two spaces bordering a passage, rather than one large space concealing a passage. I suppose individual play groups can choose how to handle movement across that space, if the issue comes up.

Theory for the coloring choices on the box lid/bottom: ever since the '96 Clue, the color green green has been really prominent in spin-off/special edition Clue games. I guess this release is just following form, in that regard.

The new board is thinner, but not flimsy. With the fabric/woven fiber backing they've chosen, I think it will hold up very nicely. The printing is definitely brighter than the original, which is probably why my eyes perceived the colors as "off" when looking at them side-by-side.

MBD: the insert really wasn't worth photographing. Look at the original insert, but make the lettering black. There it is.

The weapons seem physically identical to the Silver Line set, except in their coloring. Cacums, I'll be interested to know if your set feels like it's got some kind of coating on the pieces to keep them shiny & new looking.

I'm also slightly bugged by the logo being off center, now that I've put the two editions side-by-side. I think it's the inclusion of the magnifying glass that's done it, though, and not the Clue logo (, which doesn't seem to take up much more space than the original).

This release is definitely well worth the retail price (or just below, if you're a B&N member), unlike the Silver Line edition, which was worth about $10, if even. Any quibbles I have about it are MINOR, believe me. I'm still absolutely thrilled this release even happened (even if the going rate for an original CMD has dropped significantly since I last went shopping for it...which has been at least 8 years by now).
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Cacums, I'll be interested to know if your set feels like it's got some kind of coating on the pieces to keep them shiny & new looking.

They did have a greasy feel when I opened them. I thought the cards felt strange too. A bit too glossy.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:

I'm also slightly bugged by the logo being off center, now that I've put the two editions side-by-side. I think it's the inclusion of the magnifying glass that's done it, though, and not the Clue logo (, which doesn't seem to take up much more space than the original).

This release is definitely well worth the retail price (or just below, if you're a B&N member), unlike the Silver Line edition, which was worth about $10, if even. Any quibbles I have about it are MINOR, believe me. I'm still absolutely thrilled this release even happened (even if the going rate for an original CMD has dropped significantly since I last went shopping for it...which has been at least 8 years by now).

I like the magnifying glass as it ties it to the magnifying glasses on the "snoop" spaces on the board. But it's not just the asymmetry of the box cover logo, it's also the card backs as well which doesn't have the magnifying glass. In fact, I just realized the original card backs were printed horizontally, instead of vertically. Since we now know they did actually change a few things, I think the card backs would have benefited by a vertical orientation redesign as well, adding the magnifying glass to it to continue the theme throughout the game.

The other change I would have made, is the same one Super Cluedo corrected -- basically adding the color-coding to match the tokens. As it is now, the clothing, and backgrounds of the photos are inconsistent, and they definitely do not match the new colors of the cheap plastic tokens. It could have been as simple as the drop shadow being a color band instead, or even the white background of the cards themselves.

I really wish I could love this edition. Aside from the pawns, it seems like a faithful re-issue, which is better than none I suppose. But that's about as far as I can go. $30 is still a lot of money for a reprint of something most Clue enthusiasts already have, but as you point out, a seemingly better value than the Silver Line Edition for someone buying it for the first time. Though for my money, the SLE is something I don't have, along with the added benefits of the MD weapons tokens in silver. And it just looks more modern and exciting than the MD reprint for those just buying the game without any background. Again, if they'd just tweaked a few things to give me some motivation to invest in the game again, maybe I would (as it is the tweaks they did do, actually diminish the original). And, like you and @cacums, if I played the game more, I'm sure I'd be happy for a brand new backup copy at any price.
Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Purchase Reply with quote

So, how do I buy this? I visited the Winning Moves website, and they listed Clue products, but not this one. Did they discontinue the product already?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Purchase Reply with quote

Lord Caspen wrote:
So, how do I buy this? I visited the Winning Moves website, and they listed Clue products, but not this one. Did they discontinue the product already?

It's exclusive to Barnes and Noble. You have to order it from them, or visit one of their ever disappearing stores ... They finally have photos to go with a game they've evidently been selling since December 12th.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-clue-master-detective/31856288

Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to opening mine.

It bothers me that the cover shows the rope cut off on the right side, yet the magnifying glass goes all the way to the edge on the left.

Also, they reconfigured the card images on the sides of the box and every time I look at it now, the V shape makes it look like the box is crushed. I'm not sure why they made this change at all.

My board also folds with the image out...
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did a video unboxing and comparison. I made a couple misstatements, but not worth re-editing at this point... That's what happens when you do these things on the fly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTXpdnWpeNM&list=PLwyJ1-Zhpcx7haVkA4_Mv9x1vrfNgo0J-&index=11
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
My board also folds with the image out...

Mine was too. Courtyard side up. however, it’s made to fold correctly. In mine the fold on the Kitchen, Trophy, Conservatory is thicker. I’d suggest quickly folding it the other way before the board “settles”.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to compare this re-issue to the 1993 FRENCH version of Super Cluedo (MD). Note the magnifying glass enlarged on the Super Cluedo logo. The "Clue" logo is removed. And the artwork on the box is cut off too.

Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to know if the card descriptions are different for that version.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I’d like to know if the card descriptions are different for that version.

The now defunct link on your site to the French site Cluedopedie (where I first learned of this edition) at one time had an English translation which no longer appears to be functional under Archive.org. But should be able to easily copy and paste text into a translator ...

https://web.archive.org/web/20070503002742/http://cluedopedie.com:80/article.php?ref=16

EDIT: Google Translate seems to work pretty well:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A//web.archive.org/web/20070503002742/http%3A//cluedopedie.com%3A80/article.php%3Fref%3D16
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT detective notebook would have been a great compromise for the WM reprint! It's real shame WM took such a lazy approach to the notebooks, considering how nicely done the rest of the product is.

Going back to the point raised about the entrance squares for the Fountain and Gazebo: it occurred to me to have a look at the old DOS version of the game, to see how it handled those spaces.

They're drawn to suggest stone, just like the board. When actually playing the computer game, though, they're NOT counted as spaces!

Meaning WM got it wrong, and gave us two unnecessary extra spaces.

(Aside: I finally found an emulator to play another version of the computer CMD that actually has the sound effects. Y'all, they're pretty hilarious. Birds "chirp" (bleep-bloop) at the Gazebo, there's a LOUD horse whinny in the Carriage House. Most interior rooms creak when the suspects walk in (yes, it actually sounds if they're all farting upon entry). The murder is the best, though. In the opening vignette and after a successful accusation, the game spits out a jumble of BANGS and CRASH and breaking glass sounds, regardless of the weapon used. Highly amusing & worth the hassle to get it up & running, if you're ever curious.)
clw
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

In case anybody in the UK was looking for a copy I've just put one on Ebay here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263594631372

I ordered from Barnes and Noble in the US which took over month to arrive and ordered an additional copy for a friend who doesn't need it, but not cost-effective to return

It is in brand new condition except no plastic packaging

[was not sure if this should be in buying/selling forum, please let me know jf I should move it]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: