BBP's Cluedo Collection

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

BBP
Investigator

BBP's Cluedo Collection

Post by BBP » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:50 pm

Besides this I have Clue Jr, which I assume most people here know; the card game with the 8 cities the suspect fled to, need to look for it; FoulPlay, some Cluedo ripoff game; Clue: Murder At Boddy Mansion EU Edition; Fatal Illusion EU Edition; Clue EU DVD with subtitles in so many languages it makes your head spin.

If anyone would like a larger photo, a picture of a specific item or a translation, just let me know!

Cheepo card game called Cluedo Suspect in Dutch. From 2010.

2005 Dutch Travel Game next to ruler

2005 Dutch travel game expanded

1997 Cluedo travel game. This one has the Dutch names already. Bart Smit is a toy store.

1997 Dutch travelgame.

Dutch version of Cluedo Suspects, not to be confused with the card game of the same title.

Dutch Cluedo Suspects

Dutch Cluedo Suspects

Age of this edition is unknown, but I love the psychedelic look of the rooms!

The poorly written instructions to the 2006 DVD game: with three university-educated people it took us two playthroughs to find out how it works, and then we only had 8 games left.

Cluedo DVD notebook

I think the figurine design is over the top in some cases, but the idea is nice.

DVD game board

Michael has this one too, and you gotta admit, it rocks! It has some of the original advertisements and a note card.
Interestingy the typical Dutch rules of limited use of secret passage (max twice in a row) and staying in a room or on a square as long as you like, are present. With the lower amount of squares, there was only need for 1 die. Later issues have two dice.

This Cluedo edition was given to me for my 10th birthday in 1993. It was very popular in the house: we brought it with us on several holidays. The wrench was lost and replaced with a curtain hook, and the dagger was lost, and found back months later in the washing machine, all rusty.
I have 3 copies, to replace bent carts and lost tokens.
This is the last Dutch edition to use the English names: after Parker took over, Mej Scarlett became Rosa Roodhart (it's a bit of a CareBear name) and Mw Peacock became Mw Blaauw van Draet (resists urge to vomit).

90s edition rear cover

90s edition board

90s edition cards, tokens (including rusty dagger and curtain hook), murder envelope and note book.

CD-i

CD-i contents

CD-i rear cover.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:10 am

My latest acquisitions:

1985 magazine ad in comic mag Eppo/Wordt Vervolgd. Now I know how old the psychedelic game I have is. It was a gift for new subscribers.

Dutch shrink-wrapped chocolate edition. Best before 2010. I'm not exactly sure if the rules allow you to stay in a room as long as you like, but it does talk about dice.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Dutch 1982 edition. It differs from the other 80s edition I have, in that this one has comic-style text balloons.
Mrs Peacock: (not grammatical, this line) Me, shoot? I can't even hold a revolver!
Scarlett: "What I did in the conservatory is none of your business."
Mustard: "I don't look like I would kill anyone...?
Green: "Me in the kitchen? That's a crude insult!"
White: "I only took that candlestick to the dining room."
Plum: "You (informal plural) find out for yourself why I was in the ballroom!"

Box interior. Unfortunately it's not complete, missing a red pawn, the lead pipe trinket and one of the dice.

The text in the box reads:
"Detective Buitenhuys has handled all interrogations. He studies his notes, but is baffled. He can be heard muttering: "After a cosy party, the body of Dr Black was found at the bottom of the stairs. The doctor was killed between midnight and 1 AM. The staff left the villa at 23:00. Only the guests, friends of the deceased, can be suspected.
Mrs Peacock heard the guard dog bark at 10 minutes past midnight. She was in the lounge where she, out of boredom he thought, wrapped a broken curtain cord around her wrist. Was this the murder weapon? Impossible; professor Plum was chatting to her at the oment. Unless he is an accomplice.
Miss Scarlett accuses reverend Green, who has been ruined by bad speculations, of searching his host's and arch enemy's desk. But this accusation doesn't add up: reverend green was wearing a 6.35 caliber, but this wasn't used. But what was he doing in the study with colonel Mustard, who lifted a heavy candlestick when he came in? A candlestick, isn't that a perfect weapon? The medical examiner will tell him.
Mrs White was refreshing herself in the kitchen. There she met miss Scarlett, who was cleaning a knife, that she's said to have used to cut a slice of cold meat. But when Mrs White passed the dining room, she saw the table hadn't yet been cleared. Rough cut bits of tobacco were found on the vest of the murder victim. Only colonel Mustard smokes this tobacco. One also knew he'd walked through the hall to his car to pick up something: couldn't that be a wrench?
An inspector found a piece of lead piping in the study, behind a chair. It belongs to Mrs White, who hasn't hidden it there. She claims to have lost it... simply. In the end she had exclaimed: "I forget everything in the end, even your suspicions."
Summarising, Inspector Buitenhuys says, I have facts but no proof, the murderer didn't come from the outside. The guests refuse to cooperate. Nobody has a strong alibi. Nobody has a motive.
Now what?
It seems like the perfect crime: one doesn't know who did it, with what weapon or in what part of the villa. Almost perfect, until you (polite) have solved the riddle. A ridde that renews itself every time you start to play: Cluedo.

Card backs (bottom left) seems to be different from that other 80s edition I have. Would need a more thorough comparison. I'll whip out my magnifying glass!

Board is similar to the one from the other 80s edition I have.
[/img]

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:02 am

Wow BBP, you're so lucky going to Paris in the middle of February! Did you get any souvenirs?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:12 am

What's the top right weapon, I can't make it out?

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:11 pm

The card's upside down. That's a "revolver". To it's left is the "Trophée".

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Mon May 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Found today in a set of Clipper adverts in a 1977 Disney magazine:
(they also ran a contest with a stereo grammophone for 1st place)

I've always wondered where in time to place that purple box: funny to see it's in this 1977 picture.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon May 12, 2014 6:37 pm

That's odd, why would they show the old edition game box in the ad for the new? Was the box cover change so dramatic that even with the brand name Cluedo, people might be confused? Odd ...

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Today's acquisition:
2012 Travelgame.

I find this kind of odd, as older travelgames are primarily about being compact and sturdy: this one is flimsy. The board barely stays open.

The rules are a bit of a mix between the international rules and the Dutch ones: two dice are rolled each turn, but you're not allowed to stay in a room.

(staying in a room in a game is allowed by the Dutch rules, even in noughtie's games, but it's a dead sure way of telling people "I didn't get to see the room when I got to see the clue", so I wouldn't recommend it to any player.)

ClueLover98
Gumshoe

Post by ClueLover98 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Can you post pics of all the pawns from the DVD game with descriptions? (in case there is trouble loading the pictures) Sorry to annoy you with a difficult question.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:05 pm

Sorry it took a while:

(if you mean character descriptions, the game doesn't include them)

You can download it full size from:
http://bonnzai.deviantart.com/art/Clued-564996110

Left to right:
Prins Azuur, Gravin Lavendel, Ross, Professor Pimpel, Mevrouw Blaauw van Draet, Kolonel van Geelen, Dominee Groenewoudt, Mevrouw Grasbeek, Mevrouw de Wit, Rosa Roodhart.

ClueLover98
Gumshoe

Post by ClueLover98 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52 pm

Cool! Thanks!

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 am

French Cluedo card game, this works like the Dutch game "Cluedo Suspects" (first post, top photo), couldn't find the English name...

This is the card game where there are 6 suspects, 5 rooms and 4 weapons, you tuck away one from each category and when you ask the questions, you get to ask for 2 cards. They may be of the same category.
There are so many cards because you use them as "notebook".

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 am

So the one I had for my birthday in 1993 was the 1991 edition, but what I didn't know is there's a 1992 Dutch edition. With the original English character names even!

NotJim
Suspect

Post by NotJim » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 am

BBP wrote:So...
BBP, hello.

Can you play a level (because the levels are randomised in the CD-I console, right?) of The Hooded Madonna or Happy Ever After and record it (please)?

I want to see the pictures of the evidence clues - and of the solutions, etc?

I've tried to understand how I can rip the picture data (if possible) from ISO images of the CD-I discs (because I don't have a CD-I console) but I give up now.

My only hope left (I think) is someone recording themselves playing a level of The Hooded Madonna, Happy Ever After - or Not In My Backyard.

Thank you for reading.

And I apologise for my previous accounts with the bizarre behaviour and ranting, etc.

I really, really wanted to get the pictures from the CD-Is so that I could share them with others who don't have consoles.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:32 am

Is going to be very difficult since:
-computer needs a graphics card and TV setup to play CD-i;
-CD-i needs a special graphics card;
-A monitor needs to be set up.

We have two CD-is with graphic cards and one computer with special graphics card. Unfortunately that computer is a Vista that once crashed so spectacularly that it's pretty much back to the original settings and cannot be updated anymore. It runs like maple syrup from a bottle.
I made a walkthrough of Voyeur, years ago before the computer went out when it was still a manageable PC, and even then there was a significant 30 second delay that made recording very difficult.

Another problem is CD-i itself: it's only 1-speed and sluggish, plus it's very sensitive to dirt. There's a good chance your game will be interrupted with a Disk Dirty message. Cluedo? cannot be saved. There's no way around it. Cluedo? is commitment and if you fail at any point because of the disk dirty thing, you can throw your recordings away.

In other words, at the moment I don't have the right setup or equipment available.

idk1012
Suspect

Post by idk1012 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm

BBP wrote:Is...
Thank you for your detailed response, BBP.

I'm - currently - still trying to get all the image data (photos) from the 6 mysteries.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:26 pm

My father found this at the local second-hand shop. He even got a good price deal because it was unfortunately incomplete...

There is no year on the game anywhere but because of the ad with both the purple and the photo cover, I guess it's from before that. It has post-1954 spelling in the rule book, with a few oddities:
-Inside of the box mentions the location "Tudor Close", while the rule book calls the house "Swanenburgh", which is the Dutch name that was to be used for many years to come.
-The two remaining non-rope tokens are plastic.
-The hall is called "hall" rather than "hal".
-Rules mention "dice", possibly there's one die missing. You're also allowed to spend as much time on a space as you like.
-The later purple box moves the starting spaces - Scarlett is 7 spaces from the lounge and rev Green is only three spaces from the ballroom. Here they're all in the regular positions.
-Weirdest: the note books only have the English names on them. One note page in the box has translated names and somebody typed out new lists on a typewriter.

The cards are quite sticky, I'm using an eraser to make them more manageable.

Checked it out, probably from 1959.

BBP
Investigator

Re: BBP's Cluedo Collection

Post by BBP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:13 pm

This appears to be a classy edition: the red velvet inbox even has indentations for the pawns! I'm a huge fan of the dice. The candlestick is huge! The dagger pales in comparison.

Even so, the instructions manage to misspell "murder".

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: BBP's Cluedo Collection

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:55 pm

That appears to be using the European molds from the original 1949/50 French edition, which were identical to the British edition, except the molds were smaller die cast and not made of painted lead composite. Also, is the rope string, or plastic?