logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue Current Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:
I notice they call Mr. Green as Reverend Green for their 86 version.

It makes me think, doesn't it make more sense that Reverend Green would attend Boddy/Black's party in a suit, and not in his clerical vestures?

Not for me. I don't know about the progressive church today, but in the era I picture Cluedo, the clergy always wear their vestments in social gatherings. The Al Smith dinner in NYC where everyone else is in formal wear, the clergy wears their vestments. Granted it's a catholic event, but this is a formal party hosted by Dr. Black, so I would assume similar decorum would apply.

Which makes me wonder: which denomination is the traditional Rev. Green supposed to be? I've always assumed Catholic from the very traditional collar, but I suppose in that era (1920s - '40s, depending on the edition) Christian clergymen probably didn't dress very differently from one another. In my lifetime (briefly flitting between Methodist, Baptist, Episcopalian, and Catholic churches) I've seen the revered/minister/priest/whatever in anything from office casual wear to full robes depending on the service/denomination, but I don't believe the casual dress would have been acceptable any time before the '60s, if not later.

I suppose Church of England or Catholic would be the most likely possibilities, given the general era of classic Cluedo games.
PeachFreak
Highbinder

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question. If he were Catholic, he would likely not go by Reverend in conversation but rather Father, although written correspondence would refer to him as The Reverend "Such and such" Green. My assumption would be Church of England, mostly for the village vicar archetype he represents.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeachFreak wrote:
It's an interesting question. If he were Catholic, he would likely not go by Reverend in conversation but rather Father, although written correspondence would refer to him as The Reverend "Such and such" Green. My assumption would be Church of England, mostly for the village vicar archetype he represents.

Yes that's right. He's almost certainly not Catholic. The collar is worn by many clergy of many denominations, even today, but certainly more so in the past. The Anglicans essentially assumed all of the vestments and traditions of the Catholic church, except a member could get divorced without being excommunicated. Wink
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeachFreak wrote:

Interesting. The original rules book does refer to him as "The Reverend Green" twice: first in the list of suspects & their matching colored tokens, then again in the example for how to make a suggestion:

Quote:
...may then call another Person into the Lounge (e.g. The Rev. Green) and move that particular piece...and will say: "I suggest that the murder was committed in the Lounge by the Reverend Green with the Spanner."

But the original rules are so (ridiculously) formally written, it's possible they'd have done the same if using Prof. Plum or Col. Mustard for the sample suggestion. Though "The Rev. Green" is still the solitary "the" in the earlier list of suspects...

I believe the ITV series typically introduced him as "Reverend Jonathan Green" if characters were making introductions, but I'm almost certain they just called him "vicar" in conversation.

It's not a point I want to analyze into a pulp, lol. For all I care, he was a village pioneer of non-denominational services. Laughing Rev. Green, murderous clergyman, is still more interesting to me than Mr. Green, the sometimes businessman/conman type.
PeachFreak
Highbinder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I managed to snag my first few puzzle series editions today, which are really the only things that were not yet represented somehow in my collection as far as official merch goes. The stories are pretty cute, but I think I must just be terrible about putting puzzles together without a reference image.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which ones did you get?

I have Framed for Murder and To Kill a Dying Man. Both came from church yard sales in different states. To Kill a Dying Man didn't have the booklet, so I didn't get the story until I scraped up a PDF years later.
Highbinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Death in the First Edition, Killers in the Kitchen, and Garden of Evil. I was lucky enough to find them completely sealed as well, so everything was there.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mystery puzzles. I used to have a whole bunch of non-Clue ones as well. Regular puzzles are so boring...
PeachFreak
Highbinder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good fun! I'm enjoying the challenge, but at least with Garden of Evil, which is the one I'm seriously tackling at the moment, I'm having quite the time with so many pieces just showing some vague sense of leaves.

Also, thought there might be some interest around this, which I stumbled upon during my web travels. Shares its name and character ideas (the young maid character is most noticeable) with the Paraguayan edition while also reflecting an obvious Scarlet, Peacock, and Green.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-669017519-quien-sera-el-asesino-juego-de-mesa-estilo-clue-_JM
Black
Bindle Stiff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorkly made something on their website about the Clue Movie. http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7045730/15-times-clue-was-the-most-underrated-movie-in-history
BBP
Private Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, and after it came out I spent most time on a Tim Curry fan forum but it's worth reposting here:

Tim Curry had a Q&A a few weeks back. In this heartily recommended watch he displays his sense of humour and tells us a few things about Clue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTV4Mv21ts

Quote:

Q Hello Tim! I'd like to ask, of all films you've ever done, which one's your favourite?
TC Of all what?
Q Your films...
TC Oh, ehm... Well...
I guess one of them is CLue...
I also love Muppets Treasure Island...
CA I have a question about Clue...
TC Yeah...
CA Because you're a stage actor and that's where you started, that film is so theatrical, did you guys have to back off performance (...) energetically for film or did they just let you do (...)
TC No, we actually rehearsed it quite a lot which is rare for movies, and of course you know, my part was about as big as the bible.
CA It was epic. Did you feel the performance(...) from the theatre to film, that you have to back off somewhat? Or is what we saw just a play that was shot?
TC Well the writer, Jonathan Lynn, I had known for a very long time, because we were at high school together, and he was a rather remarkable actor, and he wrote it and directed it.
CA It was utterly brilliant...
TC And he wanted to rehearse because he'd never directed a film before.
CA SO how long was rehearsal?
TC About two weeks...
CA That's intense...
TC It was intense...
CA And brilliantly choreographed, I mean you're... mesmerising and electric, and it was the bible.
TC Well I Loved the cast...
CA Hilarious right?
TC Eileen Brennan has to be one of the funniest people in the world...
CA I think there's an iconic line by Madeline Kahn about flames... Flames!
TC Yes, she improvised that.
CA When she improvised that... sometimes I look at it and I think: did everybody lose it?
TC Yes.
CA Pretty brilliant
TC They had to scrape us off the film, and then it was a difficult editing job.
CA It was brilliant.
TC (as Kahn) Flames!
CA She was mad. Mad as a march hare.
TC She was.
Zoo977
Master Detective

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly side note, but a friend just let me know about a silly neopets item. Evidently you can buy "manor mystery fortune cookies"

And among all the items you can get from it is a candlestick and rope your dudes can hold

BBP
Private Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clue documentary apparently in the making!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMIvr-RqSJw
Black
Bindle Stiff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody *beep*, Yvette is now completely unrecognizable.
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black wrote:
Bloody *beep*, Yvette is now completely unrecognizable.

The pitch and tone of her voice even sound different. She is a completely different person!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boys ... getting old s_u_c_k_s. Enjoy it while you have it!
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 27, and I already miss my "youth." I'll probably be pretty miserable by the time I'm actually old enough to justify feeling old. Laughing

My current Clue thoughts: I'm really disappointed we've reached November '17, and there's nary a glimmer of a good gift edition this year. Some of the deluxe, FM-style editions are still available, Target still offers the '86 Retro Edition, and Toys-r-Us is still hawking the Silver Line Edition...but that's it. It's like Hasbro delivered a more than decent updated standard game, then dumped all their attention into licensing deals for the mobile game and comic book. Target's new line of "rustic" games look & feel fantastic; it's a shame they didn't try to include Clue in the lineup (the original Cluedo designs, or even the '49 Clue board would have worked really nicely with the aesthetics of the rustic series).

I guess I'm just bummed the most excitement in the Clue(do) product line, this past year, has come entirely from a video game. A proper, reasonably priced gift edition, or even an attempted expanded/advanced game would have been a nice treat.

But, maybe this is the future for board games. Endless licensing deals to maintain brand awareness, a gimmicky face lift every few years to a bargain-priced, standard edition, physical game, and real experimentation* through digital mediums.

*I use that phrasing loosely. So far, Marmalade has done a great job experimenting with new scenarios for the classic game mechanics, and new stories for the standard 6/7 suspects...but the lack of initiative towards including an expanded game option (more than 6 suspects, some new weapons, and as many rooms as they can squeeze onto a screen) makes it all a bit repetitive, no matter how it's been dressed up.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Target's new line of "rustic" games look & feel fantastic; it's a shame they didn't try to include Clue in the lineup (the original Cluedo designs, or even the '49 Clue board would have worked really nicely with the aesthetics of the rustic series).

So far, Marmalade has done a great job experimenting with new scenarios for the classic game mechanics, and new stories for the standard 6/7 suspects...but the lack of initiative towards including an expanded game option (more than 6 suspects, some new weapons, and as many rooms as they can squeeze onto a screen) makes it all a bit repetitive, no matter how it's been dressed up.

Obviously Restoration Hardware tried their hand at a "rustic" Luxury edition of Clue, using the Franklin Mint designs. However, It was a weird juxtaposition of styles. To do it right, I'm not sure just how Hasbro would handle a real "rustic" Clue game. Would Colonel Mustard be a cowboy? Scarlett the saloon manager? I'm not sure the current characters could be effectively dressed up in "rustic" personas to match the game.

As you say Marmalade has come up with some great scenarios, so I'd be interested to see them take a stab at rustic if not Hasbro. Heck why doesn't Hasbro just make a deal to use Marmalade's designs in their own physical board games?
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
I'm 27, and I already miss my "youth." I'll probably be pretty miserable by the time I'm actually old enough to justify feeling old. Laughing

I feel you! I've recently started balding. As a tiny 24 year old twink, trying to be adorable and desirable has become exhausting!!! Dear lord I miss being carded for alcohol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58
Page 58 of 58

Jump to: