logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue: Secrets and spies texting app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruckage
Snoop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Clue: Secrets and spies texting app Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm a new user here but I'm a long time fan of Cluedo. I'm posting today as I've created an app to replace the mobile phone text messages in the 'Clue: secrets and spies' game and I thought some users here may find it useful.
Using it should be easy as everything just requires a single tap/mouse click.

The app is HTML5 based and runs in the web browser so should be compatible with nearly all devices.

Please make sure though that your devices sleep time is either disabled or set to at least 15 minutes to prevent the device from sleeping during inactivity.

To try it simply visit this link: http://www.muddymonkey.co.uk/clue_spies_app/

Here is an explanation of the available options:

Game Mode (Timer or Manual)
Timer mode is the classic mode that most accurately duplicates the original text messaging service. You will receive messages randomly based on the minimum/maximum interval times set.

Manual mode is an alternative mode where every player on there turn taps the screen to check for new messages - after a short wait to build some tension a text message may arrive.

Show message countdown (Timer mode only - OFF by default)
If you select Yes to this option you will have an onscreen countdown to when the next intel will arrive instead of the message arrival time being a mystery.

Minimum Interval (2-10 minutes, Timer mode only)
The minimum time it will take for a message to arrive.

Maximum Interval (2-10 minutes, Timer mode only)
The maximum time it will take for a message to arrive.

Message display time (Timer mode only)
This sets the length of time in seconds that a text message remains on the screen once opened before it self destructs Wink

Chance of receiving text (Manual mode only)
This determines the chances of receiving a text message in manual mode.

It will be great to hear any feedback. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or bug reports. While the HTML5 app should be fine for most people I will also be releasing a standalone Android APK and a Windows exe once I'm fairly sure that this web app is complete and bug free. (unfortunately I can't compile a standalone ios app).
ClueLover98
Spy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems cool... if I had Secrets and Spies! But it's awesome! Much better than wasting tons of money for texting!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that I could pick up a new copy of Secrets and Spies for around $10 on Amazon. I'm wondering with this app to replace the defunct Hasbro text server, whether at $10, it's even worth having and taking up valuable space in my storage unit for my collection?

I read the other threads about the game, and how beautiful the board is ... but seriously, it has those cheap plastic pawns from DTS, and cardboard "items", and other cardboard widgets ... it just seems cheap, and a cheap tie-in to Clue.

This app actually makes it a lot like the DETETIVE app, in that it augments gameplay with a random digital component throughout. Granted DETETIVE provides actual clues, but the mechanism is essentially the same. I do like that this app has a feature which takes the random timing out of play, which to me just seems distracting. This accomplishes the same thing without interrupting a turn.

Actually, the more I think about that Detetive app, the more I think it would be fun to adapt to a regular Clue game.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a used Secrets and Spies game at one of my local shops for about $5. I'm tempted to pick it up if it's still there the next time I'm in but... I don't know how badly I need another reminder of Clue's awkward phase on my shelves...

MBD: if it's still there & I buy it only to discover I absolutely hate it, would you want to take it off my hands?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
There's a used Secrets and Spies game at one of my local shops for about $5. I'm tempted to pick it up if it's still there the next time I'm in but... I don't know how badly I need another reminder of Clue's awkward phase on my shelves...

MBD: if it's still there & I buy it only to discover I absolutely hate it, would you want to take it off my hands?

HA! It's your quote from another thread that got me thinking about picking this up again ...

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=102265#102265
Quote:
The more often I stop to look at the game, in stores, the more I find myself liking the concept very much.

I think the shipping alone would nullify making that deal for me. If I found it at a thrift shop for $5, I'd probably buy it. But the more I think about it, it really doesn't look that nice, and it's really a very convoluted game. I think I would have more fun trying to adapt those rules to a regular game of Cluedo. And for that, I think I could find everything I needed online ...
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I still stand by that. The concept, for a game, is great. But it shouldn't have been forced into the Clue brand. Again, the awkward years. Best to let them fade into obscurity, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: