logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Official Characters, Weapons, & Locations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: The Official Characters, Weapons, & Locations? Reply with quote

I was just trying to put together a list of "Official" Waddingtons/Parker/Hasbro Characters, Weapons and Locations. I've included all the official board games, but drew the line at the Jr. Editions, electronic games, and the various TV series. I did include the patent and Paramount film, as well as any commercial games, but technically I suppose I should not? I also ignored any licensed games like those produced by Winning Moves. Any I've missed?

CHARACTERS: I've listed every variation of a character, where that character is named and depicted completely differently.

Miss Scarlett
Colonel Mustard
Mrs. White
Rev. Green
Mr. Green
Mrs. Peacock
Professor Plum
Miss Peach
M. Brunette
Mme. Rose
Sgt. Gray
Mrs. Meadow-Brook
Capt. Brown
Mr. Slate-Grey
Dr. Orchid
Lady Lavender
Price Azure
Rusty Nayler
Lord Gray
Earl Grey
Mme Mystique
Mr. Brown
Mr. De’Ath
Inspector Grey
Sir Peach (Mobile)
Lady Oakwood (Mobile)
Dr. Prussian (Mobile)
Mr. Gold (Patent)
Miss Grey (Patent)
Mrs. Silver (Patent)
Colonel Yellow (Patent)
Nurse White (Patent)
Wadsworth (Film)

NON-SUSPECT CHARACTERS (Living):

Inspector Grey (I suppose it's possible this is the same character in two different roles)
Hogarth
The Black Dog
Didit
Ashe
Mr. Meadow-Brook
Inspector Pry
Inspector Brown
The Cop (Film)
The Chief (Film)
Yvette (Film)
Mrs. Ho (Film)
The Motorist (Film)
The Singing Telegram Girl (Film)

WEAPONS: These are items used only as weapons (not stolen items). This includes the distinction between US & UK versions where the weapon is actually something else as evident by its different name and depiction.

Revolver
Pistol
Dagger
Knife
Spaner
Wrench
Candlestick
Lead Pipe
Rope
Poison
Blunderbuss
Axe
Horseshoe
Trophy
Baseball Bat
Dumbell
Hammer
Garden Shears
Water Bucket
Tennis Raquet
Lawn Gnome
Hat Pin (Mobile)
Shillelagh (Patent)
Poker (Patent)
Syringe (Patent)
Bomb (Patent)

LOCATIONS: I have included only locations in and around the mansion property, not other special edition locations such as the train station in Passport to Murder.

Hall
Lounge
Dining Room
Kitchen
Ballroom
Conservatory
Billiard Room
Library
Study
Courtyard
Gazebo
Drawing Room
Carriage House
Trophy Room
Studio
Fountain
Boat House
Swimming Pool
Stable
Gate House
Garden
Tennis Courts
Garage
Guest House
Theater
Living Room
Observatory
Patio
Spa
Bedroom
Bathroom
Games Room
Gun Room (Patent)
Cellar (Patent)
Attic (Film)
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks right to me. I compiled a similar list recently. Got it into my head to try to design a comprehensive game featuring every location, weapon, and suspect I could (in the case of suspects, without repeating any colors, so only one Grey instead of every version of him ever, for example).

Turns out it's a terrible idea. Or, I'm not clever enough to map out all those rooms & outdoor locations into a coherent board.

I'm confused though. Where did Sir Peach, Lady Oakwood, Dr. Prussian, and the hat pin come from? You cite them from a "Mobile" game...did I miss a whole new addition to the current mobile version, or is it something else?

As for where to draw the line, I figure you've hit all the editions which should matter in Clue/Cluedo's timeline. If Waddingtons/Parker/Hasbro printed it*, I call that as official as it can get. You're right to disregard the Junior games. The only one which really could fit is the Missing Cake, but that's just the standard suspects in the classic house, shrunken.

*I realize Marmalade is responsible for the new Inspector Grey, but since Hasbro's copyright is all over the mobile game, I think of it as theirs by way of Marmalade's designers.

EDIT: Oh, I feel dumb. Those people were from the Mobil gas promotional game. Does that really count, though? Wasn't really a game, just a promotional sticker collecting thing. It's like the McDonald's Monopoly promotion. I don't think anyone would consider those official Monopoly games.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Those people were from the Mobil gas promotional game. Does that really count, though? Wasn't really a game, just a promotional sticker collecting thing. It's like the McDonald's Monopoly promotion. I don't think anyone would consider those official Monopoly games.

Yup. I just assumed that Waddingtons would have been involved with that, rather than 3 new characters and weapons be introduced by a Gas company as part of a promo. So my thinking was its a published game, which Waddingtons was likely involved with, which could be played with any board if one wanted to. However, looking at it again, there's no Waddingtons copyright anywhere on any of the game pieces.

Also, it's got to more than a coincidence that the Blunderbuss and Poison appeared a year before Super Challenge, as well as a character named Peach. If Waddingtons wasn't involved, there's definitely a chicken/egg question here then.

At least the Mobile Oil Mystery game was an actual published game. The Patent game doesn't really exist in any manner that could be played. So if I exclude the Mobile game, then I should also exclude the Patent additions. And then there's the film. I think we all consider that film as much a part of official clue canon as any game, but I'm not sure how much Parker Bros and Waddingtons had to say about it, and there's obviously no game -- one of the great tragedies of marketing -- unless one considers the movie itself a game.

I was also thinking about Fatal Illusion, which takes place in a Mansion, but the premise of that game is very different.

I don't blame you for abandoning a board game with that many players, weapons and rooms. It would be almost unmanageable. Though it might make an interesting Super Sleuth kind of game, where the rooms, weapons and suspects could each be shuffled, and the players could deal out any number of each to play a game with, since the board is assembled as you go. That way, the game would always be sort of fresh, with new components. Of course it means you wouldn't be able to use pre-printed detective notes, or at least not a reasonably-sized one. But if Monopoly could publish an edition with 64 tokens, or whatever it was, they could certainly publish a Clue game with that many suspect and weapons tokens.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fair to include the additional Fatal Illusion characters. Hasbro Interactive was an offshoot of Hasbro, after all. If the movie's new characters are being counted, it only makes sense to include the Fatal Illusion gang, too.

As for the Mobil promo: I'm sure Waddingtons was involved. Mobil couldn't have just made their own Cluedo themed promo materials without permission. I wouldn't be surprised if Super Cluedo Challenge were already on the drawing board when the promotion came about, and Waddingtons simply offered up some of their work in progress ideas for Mobil's use. If nothing else, the benefit for Waddingtons, at the time, would be subtly introducing the idea of an expanded Cluedo game to the public before launching their deluxe game.

I'd still exclude it, though, as it was never anything beyond a marketing tool. The patent game would have had a working prototype at some point (god knows how long ago that got tossed in a bin...), and as it's the great grandfather of the game we all know now, I think it's perfectly logical to include its alternate suspects, weapons, and Gun Room.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a little list a while ago.

Very incomplete.

Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job @cacums! That's exactly what's needed!
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

What's the DVD? Is it the DVD game? Why is nobody listed for it?
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:
Very nice!

What's the DVD? Is it the DVD game? Why is nobody listed for it?

Yes, it was meant to be the DVD game. As I said it's very incomplete. I never got around to finishing it or addition additional games and characters.
Suspect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish poison/medication had been one of the original 6 weapons.

For me, it could be:

A gun, a knife, barbiturates, some rope, a p-o-k-e-r and a candlestick.
ColonelMoutarde
Suspect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic topic !

I have a question about the character : Sergent Gray (in french version Sergent Legris),

In Super Cluedo we see Sgt Gray but in the new version of Cluedo, we can see Lord Gray, for you, it's the same character but with a different name ? Because in French Version of Cluedo FX and DVD, his name is Le Compte Du Puy, a very different name and history !

Sorry for my English i'm French and thnaks for you your answers !
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColonelMoutarde wrote:
Fantastic topic !

I have a question about the character : Sergent Gray (in french version Sergent Legris),

In Super Cluedo we see Sgt Gray but in the new version of Cluedo, we can see Lord Gray, for you, it's the same character but with a different name ? Because in French Version of Cluedo FX and DVD, his name is Le Compte Du Puy, a very different name and history !

Sorry for my English i'm French and thnaks for you your answers !

I don't really see them as the same characters, while I recognize they serve the same purpose in the new games, and share the same color. But, it would be hard to play a game with 6 gray colored characters. Maybe a new Cluedo game: 6 Shade of Gray! Haha
ColonelMoutarde
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent joke ! Laughing

Ok thanks you a lot for your answer Smile
MrCrimson46
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatNow wrote:
I wish poison/medication had been one of the original 6 weapons.

For me, it could be:

A gun, a knife, barbiturates, some rope, a p-o-k-e-r and a candlestick.

Yes I think the poison would have been a great weapon in the standard game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: