My Weapons

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

My Weapons

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:26 am

A while back I showed pictures of the weapon collection that I made over the past year or so. Now I've made a video explaining each one a little more in-depth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkgdYCS-YW8
Image

User avatar
cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:22 am
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:42 am

Nice! :D
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Wow, first Michael and now you! Everybody's coming out on YouTube! Ha!

The tennis racquet is pretty funny, I suppose if the head broke off the shaft, one could use it as a stake to plunge through the victim's heart.

The horseshoe could be deadly, but it would have to be thrown with some force, rather like Oddjob and his Leathal bowler hat. I imagine one of the suspects were having a friendly game of horseshoes with Mr. Boddy, and the horseshoe expertly hurled at him while he was retrieving the horseshoes.from the stake. That, or it was jabbed into his eye sockets ... Yup, that'd do it.

One of my favorites from FX remains the lawn gnome. Appropriately, yet unexpectedly, deadly.

Your point about the gun being quite heavy supports my contention that it was used to bludgeon the victim, and not shoot them, something that would have alerted the entire household, and left a wound which would have been quite easy to deduce from the other weapons.

I'm surprised at how small the Blunderbuss is ... It's like a sawed off shotgun rather than a full sized hunting rifle.

You mentioned the dagger differences before, but I don't think those diamonds on the handle are intended to be jewels -- rather decorative rivets, which aid in gripping an otherwise smooth metal handle. Either way, the black metal handle of the dagger token, is quite a departure from the apparently leather handle of the dagger pictured on the card. In terms of overall appearance, certainly your black handled dagger matches the token far better than the card. It is interesting considering how closely the rest of the original cards match the tokens that there is such a significant discrepancy with the dagger.

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
The tennis racquet is pretty funny, I suppose if the head broke off the shaft, one could use it as a stake to plunge through the victim's heart.

The horseshoe could be deadly, but it would have to be thrown with some force, rather like Oddjob and his Leathal bowler hat. I imagine one of the suspects were having a friendly game of horseshoes with Mr. Boddy, and the horseshoe expertly hurled at him while he was retrieving the horseshoes.from the stake. That, or it was jabbed into his eye sockets ... Yup, that'd do it.

One of my favorites from FX remains the lawn gnome. Appropriately, yet unexpectedly, deadly.
Though I didn't show them all, I did collect the FX weapons, though mostly as items from around the house, and not by tracking down antiques as I did with the main group. The lawn gnome I found was partially broken and made me think it would make a good point to stab with ... or was possibly found broken from being previously used to bludgeon.

http://img14.deviantart.net/3c2f/i/2017 ... b4kwy3.jpg

And yes, the eye gouging with the horseshoe did cross my mind!

Murder by Death wrote:
Your point about the gun being quite heavy supports my contention that it was used to bludgeon the victim, and not shoot them, something that would have alerted the entire household, and left a wound which would have been quite easy to deduce from the other weapons.

I'm surprised at how small the Blunderbuss is ... It's like a sawed off shotgun rather than a full sized hunting rifle.
I suppose it would make sense as the gun is often depicted in the US as an antique pepperbox, which really seems more likely to be taken from Boddy's gun collection...and then, would it really work? Where would they get the bullets?

Also, it makes me wonder further, did the US use the pepperbox design so often for it's revolver deliberately because it would be unfamiliar in appearance and difficult to own in real life ... therefore, making it less likely to influence young Americans playing the game as it wouldn't resemble any gun they might actually find in a gun store or their parent's vault?

And yes, the blunderbuss is pretty small. I know blunderbusses range in size, from pistol sizes to being as large as a long gun.
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:06 am

Hmm, did another video showing my weapons again with the new entries, plus weapons that used to compile my collection. :) Mostly going over the same weapons I've shown already over, but I go into a little more detail of how I improved my selections over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPjN4YMNGsg
Image

User avatar
Michael
Mastermind
Posts: 6121
Joined: Sat May 22, 2004 11:46 pm
Location: NYC & Atlanta

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Too bad you didn't film the process of transforming that lead pipe. I would have like to see that...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't have a camera to take outside, except my phone. I was thinking I could do a demo with the leftover lead.
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 pm

A bit of an anal detail, but I chopped about 2 1/2 inches off my lead piping. I found it too long, and one of the ends stuck out a bit sharp, so this helped smooth it out a little.

Image

Also, I made some videos of me demonstrating how I performed my lead operation to make the Cluedo pipe - though it doesn't quite work as a tutorial video as I couldn't get my Mac to lower into view of what I was doing really. The audio is off-sync near the end too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cpx2MwuAHk

As it was just a demo, I only shaped a small square into a playing piece, though I don't think I'll end up using it for my game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gn-dvoyH4
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:35 am

Made some updates to my weapons - a new candlestick and rather large length of rope (that almost dominates the others - it is 5 m long).

The candlestick is about half an inch taller than the other one, but the base is certainly larger, and rounded like the card. It is also silver-plated, not brass. The base is a bit beaten, with a rather suspicious dent on one side.

As mentioned, the rope is huge. I'm debating if the dynamic is daring, or if I should cut it down to a shorter length.


Image
Last edited by CluedoKid on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am

That's a pretty impressive match to the cards.

The rope gauge seems a little thick. But why not just wrap it up as depicted on the card? Or do a noose a la the movie? If it still doesn't look right, you'll probably need to find a smaller gauge rope ...

User avatar
cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:22 am
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:40 am

I LOVE YOUR NEW BANNER! CLUEDOKID! :D :D :D

I honestly thought they were the exact cards from the PC game! Your artistic skills never cease to amaze and astound me!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am

Murder by Death wrote:That's a pretty impressive match to the cards.

The rope gauge seems a little thick. But why not just wrap it up as depicted on the card? Or do a noose a la the movie? If it still doesn't look right, you'll probably need to find a smaller gauge rope ...
It wasn't that expensive so I'm considering getting some rope a few millmetres thinner. I'll see what I can work with this one...maybe cutting it down will help with the bulk, make it about as long as the CDi game's rope, which also was somewhat thick.

I will note, the rope itself is 16 ft. as it is specified on the 2000 UK card, which will be a lost detail if I cut it.

Thanks guys! :)
Image

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:That's a pretty impressive match to the cards.

The rope gauge seems a little thick. But why not just wrap it up as depicted on the card? Or do a noose a la the movie? If it still doesn't look right, you'll probably need to find a smaller gauge rope ...
It wasn't that expensive so I'm considering getting some rope a few millmetres thinner. I'll see what I can work with this one...maybe cutting it down will help with the bulk, make it about as long as the CDi game's rope, which also was somewhat thick.

I will note, the rope itself is 16 ft. as it is specified on the 2000 UK card, which will be a lost detail if I cut it.

Thanks guys! :)
The 2000 Cluedo card says that! Man that is a lost detail!

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:That's a pretty impressive match to the cards.

The rope gauge seems a little thick. But why not just wrap it up as depicted on the card? Or do a noose a la the movie? If it still doesn't look right, you'll probably need to find a smaller gauge rope ...
It wasn't that expensive so I'm considering getting some rope a few millmetres thinner. I'll see what I can work with this one...maybe cutting it down will help with the bulk, make it about as long as the CDi game's rope, which also was somewhat thick.

I will note, the rope itself is 16 ft. as it is specified on the 2000 UK card, which will be a lost detail if I cut it.

Thanks guys! :)
The 2000 Cluedo card says that! Man that is a lost detail!
I did use other details from that card also, including the rope being made of heavy Indian jute. This is what lead me to buying such thick rope.
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Thought I show these cards at a better size. :)

Image
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 pm

{OPPS. DOUBLE POST}
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:59 am

For display purposes I've cut the rope down and tied it, like the original game piece, but ultimately, I'm getting thinner rope. No amount of shortening will change the fact that currently, it's a bit bulky.

Image
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Wanted to show this pic I took of a weapon tableau with Cluedo. Just for fun. I hope to do a snazzier photoshoot down the road.

Image


It's not a perfect Cluedo collection in that, my spanner is the American wrench and my revolver is an 1870 Belgian pinfire, rather than a Dreyse1907 handgun.

I love my collection as an image of my own ideas of how the weapons could look like, rather than a perfect imitation of any set from Clue or Cluedo. It was never my intent to create a perfect Cluedo collection, as honestly, I prefer the American monkey wrench design (but I do like the English spanner!) and I prefer an actual revolver to a gun mislabled revolver (and yet I do like the Dreyse because it makes a handsome firearm!)


I just may consider getting a nice large spanner down the road to alternate between having a wrench and spanner, though there's no way I will be acquiring a Dreyse without a gun license (all the more difficult as guns are illegal in Canada, but I managed to buy the pinfire due to no restrictions to pre-1899 antique guns) and several hundred bucks to drop down (So, not any time soon).
Image

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17292
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:45 am

As it is, I got a thinner rope for display, which is good as I don't need to cut this one down in order to make it look good with the others. Still the same type of material - Indian jute, and is 16 feet.

Image

As well, I will be getting a new, larger dagger, which I look forward to. It will be of "Oriental" origin. ;)
Image

User avatar
cacums
Ringer
Posts: 11100
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 11:58 am
Location: If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore

Post by cacums » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:36 pm

Love the classic twist!
Image

Post Reply