logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scooby-Doo Clue or Haunted Mansion Clue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which game?
Scooby-Doo Where Are You? Clue
66%
 66%  [ 4 ]
Disney's Haunted Mansion Clue
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Harlequin
Master Detective

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Scooby-Doo Clue or Haunted Mansion Clue? Reply with quote

I have a choice. Scooby-Doo Clue or Haunted Mansion Clue. I can only buy one with my current cash.

Which one?

Reasons appreciated.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote: Save your money until you can afford an edition worth buying.

I have (had) both (I got rid of the scooby doo version) and the are simply part of a collection... not fun to play...
Master Detective

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, that they won't spend THAT much on transactions from America yet. This is a testdrive- MD and Tower of Terror are too expensive for them.
Harlequin
Master Detective

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close this topic please.

I've decided to buy

A) Cluedo Vintage Bookshelf Edition- We'll finally be able to see whether it is Mr. or Reverend.
and
B) Clue Master Detective- I've found it as cheap as it can get and in good condition.

My little sister has decided that with her cash, however, she'll buy Disney Haunted Mansion Clue.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like haunted mansion because I'm such a fan of the ride. But I really like scooby doo because the board depiction of the regular clue mansion in a dilapidated form is just neat.
Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I think there are a lot of fun details in the Haunted Mansion clue that make it a better game. Although, I must admit, I was extremely excited when I got my Scooby Doo clue. I even chose it over Alfred Hitchcock Clue. The "fun" pieces are what made me choose it.
fendue
Biometrics Examiner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haunted Mansion, because it combines 3 of my favorite things together!
Clue+
Haunted Mansion+
Disney World+

=

FUN!!!
Quadsworth
Slueth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the cardboard box haunted mansion, and the plastic character pieces are a disappointment. The ghosts don't glow in the dark, and the art on the cards is not too great.I never really liked scooby doo as a kid though, so I would take the haunted mansion.
Niteshade007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The character pieces are plastic? I heard they were the same as the pewter ones given in the park. Are they more 3-D, as pictured on the box?
Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came in the cardboard, but he characters were the same as the tin box edition. What I really don't like are the cheap ghost pieces. I'd much rather had the 3D glow in the dark ones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting about the pieces. I wonder if they came out with the plastic pieces earlier/later on. I have the tin edition, and the glow in the dark feature is cool I guess if you're a little kid, but it's not like you're going to play Clue completely in the dark.
Quadsworth
Slueth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niteshade007 wrote:
The character pieces are plastic? I heard they were the same as the pewter ones given in the park. Are they more 3-D, as pictured on the box?

Mine are the ones pictured, they probably just had surplus figures from the tin box edition and used them up in the cardboard ones.
Niteshade007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to post pictures? I'm curious about how they look. I have a set of small plastic Disney figures from a Lincoln Logs thing I got years ago in Frontierland, and I wonder if it's the same size, etc.
Quadsworth
Slueth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pawns aren't really 3d, but almost flat with slightly textured sides.
[/img][/list]
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AUGUST 9, 2017 POST:

Michael wrote:
I like haunted mansion because I'm such a fan of the ride. But I really like scooby doo because the board depiction of the regular clue mansion in a dilapidated form is just neat.

There's a number of places I could have put this, where Scooby Doo has been discussed, but this seemed appropriate without creating a new thread for it --

These games both have an interesting premise, in that no murder has been committed, and no character has committed a crime. There are others, too, but I'm interested in the supernatural elements of these particular games.

In both games, the playing characters are the victims, in Disney they're being haunted, and in Scooby they've been abducted. The immediate problem with this, is that the characters would certainly know which of them has been abducted or haunted, and obviously where and by whom. None of which would need to be concealed from anyone. Which makes it complicated for the players to role-play their character. Not that it's going to ruin the game, but it does make for a rather strange premise.

I agree that the Scooby board is one of my favorites and worth playing from that perspective, but it's the game play itself that's a little flawed -- especially if a player ends up accusing themselves. Though one thing I do like a little more about the Scooby game is that they work both a classic Scooby villain into the game, as well as a weapon. On the other hand, there's no weapons tokens in the Disney game, but the plastic ghost figurines are very cool.

I guess my question, is whether there's another premise that makes better sense here in order to play these games given the components provided? It seems at a minimum that the characters must be doing something at least slightly naughty even in a Disney game. Scooby could be a little more adult I suppose ...

Something like -- one of the Disney characters has been sneaking into the haunted mansion to secretly play with one of the ghosts -- who, which one, and where? Or one of the Scooby team is working with someone on the outside to abduct the original 6 Clue guests, in order to claim Mr. Boddy's inheritance. who's the traitor, with whom are they working, and where did they give them the weapon to use?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! I should have read your comment before I voted. Only buy Haunted Mansion if it is the one with the metal figures (the one they sold in the parks). If it's the one with the plastic pieces, like the one Quadsworth posted photos on, skip it. There is a nicer edition you should try holding out for. Very Happy
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Haunted Mansion objective goes, I think I have a solution -- which oddly is the premise of the ride itself, and should have been for this game -- One of the spirits has hidden themselves on one of the visiting Disney characters in order to escape the mansion. In order to rid themselves of the spirit, and leave the mansion themselves, they must figure out which Spirit is hiding on which character, and in which room they encountered it, in order to return it and rid themselves of it. In addition, this game is unique in that without any significant alterations, the players could instead play as the ghosts, using the characters the "weapons". So the objective would be something like, the Ghost Host prohibits spirits from scaring guests, so now the ghosts have to figure out which of them committed the crime, with which character, in which room. All that would be necessarily would be assigning each spook with a color for starting placement.

I have to say, despite my love and nostalgia for the Haunted Mansion, I have to choose Scooby Doo over it, after revisiting it. The 3D ghost tokens are nice, but they are hard to tell apart when sitting on the board, unlike weapons tokens. Even if you actually know which is which, they're still not easy to quickly identify. In that respect, the cheaper stickers on plastic ghosts are probably better. The pewter character tokens are much nicer than plastic ones, but they're basically 2D with detail relief. The Haunted Mansion board art is nice, but the scooby artwork seems nicer, and it's tied directly to the original board game design. Plus, it seems more appropriate to have a darker objective with Scooby Doo. If the Disney character tokens were nicer, I'd probably have to chose that one.

I'm a little perplexed by the box though. There are a lot of compartments that don't really seem to correspond to much of anything. Is this because they eventually pulled items from the final product? Or am I just not using them correctly? In the pictures below, there's at least one shallow compartment which doesn't fit anything included with the game. Perhaps they were going to include pencils with it?

I think both games missed the opportunity to exploit the glow-in-the dark aspect of it -- and in particular I'm looking at The Haunted Mansion. How cool would it have been to play a game in the dark? Heck I would have settled for just a black light version.

One question though about the Scooby Doo game -- there appear to be 3 versions:

1st Edition Long box with high-detail pewter 3/4 character pawns
2nd Edition Long box with low-detail pewter full-length character pawns
3rd Edition square box with low-detail pewter full-length character pawns

Michael lists the square box as the 2nd Edition, so perhaps the long box and square box were released at the same time?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I have the 2nd edition Scooby-Doo longbox with the full sized characters. I just tested it and the cards, nor any other part of the game, are not glow-in-the-dark. So what's going on here? Is it only the very first edition longbox with the 3/4 "busts" that have the glow in the dark cards? Or should all version have them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: