logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue comic book coming this summer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I think with the butler being omniscient and knowing the characters are all characters (in a comic book), there will just be some "reset" twist at the end - like pointing out how the game resets and we start all over.

And given that the story isn't going as he thought with the timing of Boddy's death, my guess is that Boddy is turning the tables on them. He's faked his death and is now bumping them off one by one.

You mean ... MURDER BY DEATH!?!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Interesting theory! And that would make sense.

I wonder if they'll pull in Rose, Peach, Brunette, Gray, or Azure now that they've been reintroduced to the brand elsewhere.

While anything can happen, at this point since e bridge washed out, it's unlikely we'll see any other characters arriving. They'll have to wait until the next story, assuming this series does well enough to continue.

But keep in mind, they've already added three new characters of their own, so they seem to be going a different route with these comic books.
Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I'm doing a Clue Comic giveaway contest on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOTzI4uJReQ

Hi Michael, do you mind me asking what make of candlestick you have in your giveaway video! I'd love to find a movie-style one to add to my display. Had a look on the site you mentioned, and there's some discussion as to whether it's the Price or Princess of Diamonds? Thanks!
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Prince model. I'm pretty sure that's the right one...
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice interview with Paul Allor about this new series, courtesy of The Washington Post . Naturally he doesn't divulge any spoilers, but we do get a little insight into his process with turning Clue into a comic book & some of the fun that allows versus a film or stage adaptation. Seems pretty passionate about it to me, so I'm more intrigued now to keep up with the series.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I like how much focus is put on the movie, which was only one interpretation of clue. I'm sort of surprised there was no mention of the International TV series, but then again this is a US audience article, though now would be a good time for the BBC to syndicate them in the US. The article also mentions the novel, which would only be the movie adaptation, unless that's a typo and refers to all of the novels -- which I must admit I've never read. Having come after the movie, do they take the same tone or something different? No doubt the stage play and musical derive their style from the movie as well. But certainly Clue is more than all that.

That said, I do appreciate that the movie may be the only version of Clue many have been exposed to since those old family games gathered around Grandmas old board when visiting her with nothing else to do. I also appreciate the hipsters bringing the game back, with their love of nostalgia, and I think that we may even have them to think for a return to the classic design.

But I think there's merit in what I've read so far, and look forward to seeing what he means by storytelling in a way unique to comic books. One way of course is by having several things happen at once on the same panel. So far though, it's been a pretty linear presentation, carefully structured at that. Another problem with comics is the ability to quickly go back and look at something, which makes giving/withholding clues problematic.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
I'm not sure I like how much focus is put on the movie, which was only one interpretation of clue. I'm sort of surprised there was no mention of the International TV series, but then again this is a US audience article, though now would be a good time for the BBC to syndicate them in the US. The article also mentions the novel, which would only be the movie adaptation, unless that's a typo and refers to all of the novels -- which I must admit I've never read. Having come after the movie, do they take the same tone or something different? No doubt the stage play and musical derive their style from the movie as well. But certainly Clue is more than all that.

I think it's fair to say the movie is the most famous product based on the game. Home video versions seem to never have been out of print, and anytime I see a movie site reference it on Facebook, the posts get flooded with reactions & endless quotes in the comments. Granted, I don't know how far its cult movie status reaches -- it could be entirely a North American thing, and mostly forgotten elsewhere.

As for the *ITV* series, the new streaming service BritBox is the ideal home for it. Then again, if Whodunnit? could get cleared for a DVD release despite the parade of actors involved, I don't see why the same couldn't be done for Cluedo. Even a disc-on-demand offering would satisfy the handful of people who would buy it. Personally, I'd love to see how modern technology could be implemented in a new series, possibly upping the interactive nature of the format with live votes & online contests to solve that week's murder. Pipe dream, but a nice one.

As for the books, every "literary" take has been very different. The movie novel was the movie on paper, plus the fourth ending and other bits which may have come from a shooting script. The two Cluedo books have nothing to do with the game or the movie: the suspects gather to commemorate Dr. Black's death & each one shares a mystery story from their past. Very dry, unimpressive stuff. The Scholastic series went full camp: each suspect is defined by very specific traits (Mrs. Peacock is obsessed with good manners, Mustard will challenge anyone to a duel at a moment's notice, Plum is exceedingly forgetful, and such). The mysteries range from petty crimes to full on killing sprees, but there's always a reset, and Mr. Boddy is always alive at the start of the next book to explain how he wasn't really dead. While the movie is very sharp and witty, the Scholastic books are firmly whimsical & aimed at young readers. As an adult, they're good toilet reading, or just to fill ten bored minutes. The Vickie Cameron books are funny in a very British way, and deeply rooted in the backstory Hasbro was peddling at the time. Each mystery is like the game, solving Boddy's murder, but only as far as identifying the suspect (Boddy is always found by one of the suspects with the murder weapon left at the scene). Unlike the Scholastic books, no justification is given for Boddy never staying dead.

To make a long story short (too late): no, I wouldn't say any of the books (besides the direct adaptations) took any inspiration from the movie. They're all very much their own things, with varying degrees of success as far as the spirit of the game is concerned.

So far, I'd say the comic is doing a nice job honoring & spoofing the spirit of the game, with enough light references to the movie to satisfy the readers who may only know the movie & nothing else. I'm excited to see how it plays out, especially with the idea that our narrator, Upton, could be completely unreliable.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, anyone here who is regrettably cheap (broke), like me, will be happy to know the Kindle edition of the first issue has been reduced to $1.80 USD.

And if the pre-order page for volume 2 is correct, we can expect the next issue in the coming days, on July 19.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Also, anyone here who is regrettably cheap (broke), like me, will be happy to know the Kindle edition of the first issue has been reduced to $1.80 USD.

And if the pre-order page for volume 2 is correct, we can expect the next issue in the coming days, on July 19.

Is this available outside the US? And if so, is it rebranded Cluedo?
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
alwaysPeacock wrote:

Is this available outside the US? And if so, is it rebranded Cluedo?

A little digging on Amazon UK confirms yes, the series is available there (for Kindle, at least, though the physical omnibus edition is also listed for pre-order), but no, it has not been rebranded as Cluedo.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volume 2 is available today. I've read the sample: a brief recap of Volume 1, a revised version of the character portrait gallery, and some intriguing character development for Plum. From the sample alone, it's clear Allor & co. are going for a very modern, inclusive take on the characters. Not a bad thing at all, and I kind of wish Hasbro had given their new edition this much thought in lieu of dusting off & slightly editing their 2002 characters.

Looks like Volume 2 only has 3 covers to track down (no alternate end panels mentioned this time, which, IMO, is a gimmick which really only could have worked once), including this one I hadn't seen until today:

Worth noting: Amazon already has pre-order options for the next two issues, which we can expect to be available August 9, and September 27.
MrGreenJeans
Slueth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think they're spoiling a bit on the covers? I guess we won't know for sure until we have the full #2, but there's one alt cover for #2 that shows only the (presumed) dead suspect from issue #1, along with one additional suspect who I'm guessing is next.

Then, the preview for issue #3 only shows four suspects....making it look like a third suspect is doomed along the way.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Volume 2 is available today. I've read the sample: a brief recap of Volume 1, a revised version of the character portrait gallery, and some intriguing character development for Plum. From the sample alone, it's clear Allor & co. are going for a very modern, inclusive take on the characters. Not a bad thing at all, and I kind of wish Hasbro had given their new edition this much thought in lieu of dusting off & slightly editing their 2002 characters.

Looks like Volume 2 only has 3 covers to track down (no alternate end panels mentioned this time, which, IMO, is a gimmick which really only could have worked once), including this one I hadn't seen until today:

Worth noting: Amazon already has pre-order options for the next two issues, which we can expect to be available August 9, and September 27.

I cannot stand the way Scarlett is dressed.

Your comments about Hasbro giving thought to dusting off their 2002 characters, takes me back to my original thought -- I'm not sure how much control Hasbro actually has over any of this. The idea that Hasbro is building the Clue brand on two new fronts, the electronic game arena, and the comic book front, yet has no basic commonalities on which to re-build and tie in the brand among its various products. Clearly Scarlett is a perfect example for someone who gets into the comics and goes to buy the electronic game or the board game, being dissapointed that JEM Scarlett isn't featured there. And vice verse via either the board game or electronic game.

So it seems like Hasbro just made some licensing deals after developing the game, and moved on to something else. Marmalade, probably looking for other ways to offer in app purchases suggested Hasbro allow them to offer other characters, which Hasbro agreed to do because they surely get a cut, but gave it no other thought than that, much less how it would tie into the re-launch of the brand. So Hasbro likely has approval over everything, but doesn't really care.

There's still a rumor of a film being made, and that likely will have nothing to do with anything we've seen so far. That seems to be Hasbro's M.O. These days.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:

Did you join my YouTube giveaway? The drawing is tonight for the first two issues...

I managed to get my hands on all three variations of the second issue cover on my lunch today.
Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue 2 is now available to read in full on the site that Cacums posted.

http://readcomicbooksonline.net/clue
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS - Did this one's murder remind anyone of the cop from the movie?
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is that site legal?!
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things jarred me with artwork in this issue.
1) I didn't realize Ochre was so short! It's really noticeable in this issue. Did we see that before? It almost seems too cartoonish.
2) I didn't realize Plum was an Indian. I thought he was African American. And he's gay now? I feel they're taking this diversity thing to the extreme.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was at least one panel in the first issue which showed off Ochre's shortness, at least in comparison to Amarillo.

I loved the sequence of Upton's interactions with the guests. Gave me some good laughs. I agree, Plum has got a bit of a burden, rolling all that diversity into one character. I hope more of his relationship with Orchid is explored. Even in the game it's believable that the two of them would know each other somewhat well, even if only professionally. And I was very pleased to see that plant near the end. Ties Orchid, out of all of them, the strongest back to her boardgame roots (which are, obviously, all she's got so far, being too new to have multiple sources of background inspiration).

Overall, I found it a bit anticlimactic. This issue spent a significant amount of time with Plum & Orchid. I'm left wondering how (in just three more issues) the writer will not only create layered characters out of the rest of them, but also suitably advance the story through any additional murders, clues, and the big reveal (without the next issue being a bloodbath & the finale rushed to conclusion). I'm not used to following comic books, so maybe I'm asking too much from the format.

So, two issues in: anyone have a guess at Whodunnit? One killer? Two killers? Something about the way Scarlett has been handled so far makes her my prime suspect, but it might be too obvious for the one character without apparent motive & currently not under police suspicion to be the mass murderer behind it all.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with the diversity thing - making Plum gay. And how many people were whining when they felt the iOS round of suspect designs weren't diverse enough? So the comic has two non-hetero characters in it, that's fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: