logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which advanced Cluedo is best?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  

The best advanced Cluedo game is...
Super Cluedo Challenge
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Cluedo Super Sleuth
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Other (if there's an advanced Clue/do I've forgotten exists)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Which advanced Cluedo is best? Reply with quote

This isn't exactly a Buy/Sell/Trade post -- more a buying advice inquiry.

I've saved up some spare money to spend on silly things, and I'd like to add one of the old advanced Cluedo games to my collection. Occasionally I meet friends for game nights, and I'd like to have a Clue(do) offering which would appeal to the more sophisticated tabletop gamers in my circle.

So, for anyone who owns and/or has played one/both of these games...which one would be the best investment? Why? Or, is there another edition I've completely overlooked?

(I've intentionally ignored Passport to Murder as it's essentially a recycling of Super Cluedo Challenge, and my preliminary searches have confirmed I cannot presently afford what the sellers are asking for it.)
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm still a big fan of the museum caper. I think it's a much more fun game to play and strategize.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the goals are ...

One of the most beautiful games is Cluedo Super Sleuth, with the impressive set of pewter pawns., and has very different gameplay for a compelling variation to the norm.

I personally think Passport to Murder is a nicer game than Super Cluedo Challenge, but does that mean you already have the latter? (Super Challenge is a different game than Super Cluedo, which is otherwise a facelift of Master Detective, which I assume you have?). The only reason to get Challenge in my opinion, is for the busts, which can be had in other more interesting European editions. The weapons are cheap to me, but there is a complete set of expanded weapons, as well as different characters. I'd save up for Passport if the choice were between the two. But that's me.

Mysteries and FX are also interesting options, but just seem generally cheaper to me without adding that much to the genre with their gimmicks, which might be a turnoff to the more "sophisticated" crowd.

I agree with Michael that the Museum Caper is likely the most different and challenging of them all, but it doesn't feel like Clue to me. And the equipment seems a little gimmicky to me, though I do think those mini paintings are cool.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned, I do have all the American spin off games already. I agree Museum Caper is a very fun strategic variation, but I do like my Clue games best when they're about a murder.

Passport looks like a beautiful edition, it's just so outrageously priced whenever it does pop up for sale.

Just from looking at the games, I love the somewhat abstract aesthetics of Super Cluedo Challenge. It seems to me, however, that the game is very heavily based on luck more than strategy, in racing to collect the evidence from the different points on the board & look under the flaps before everyone else. Super Sleuth seems a little more strategic, with the random board layout & the use of NPCs to aid/hinder gameplay. Can anyone who has actually played either version confirm/correct these impressions?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
I should have mentioned, I do have all the American spin off games already. I agree Museum Caper is a very fun strategic variation, but I do like my Clue games best when they're about a murder.

Passport looks like a beautiful edition, it's just so outrageously priced whenever it does pop up for sale.

Just from looking at the games, I love the somewhat abstract aesthetics of Super Cluedo Challenge. It seems to me, however, that the game is very heavily based on luck more than strategy, in racing to collect the evidence from the different points on the board & look under the flaps before everyone else. Super Sleuth seems a little more strategic, with the random board layout & the use of NPCs to aid/hinder gameplay. Can anyone who has actually played either version confirm/correct these impressions?

Either way, Super Sleuth is the more beautiful game -- those pawns alone are worth the purchase even if you never play it. What I like about it over Challenge is that it is not just an expansion of the same old board game, but it's a truly unique experience, compared to every other Clue game you've played.

As for Passport, if you aren't already, look for it in the various countries in which it was sold. I have the Italian edition because I found it at a bargain price compared to any version I could find in France.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, despite a more compelling argument in favor of Cluedo Super Sleuth, I've ended up buying myself Super Cluedo Challenge instead. I stumbled on an eBay listing from a US based seller for a complete, clean copy of the game for only $15 + about $13 for shipping. That's a lot less than I'd have paid for either game from an international seller, so I'm feeling pretty lucky this morning. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: