Super Cluedo/ Master detective homemade

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

ruckage
Snoop

Super Cluedo/ Master detective homemade

Post by ruckage » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:15 pm

Hello,

I'm in the process of creating my own copy of Super Cluedo (aka Master detective) and thought others on here might be interested. My version won't be exactly the same as the real thing but close enough.

I'm actually going to use playing pieces from a spare copy of Super Cluedo Challenge that I just found at a carboot sale. It was very tatty but the bits I need are in good condition (the pawns and weapons). These pawns were particularly nice as they are busts of the various characters.

My version will have:
9 Suspects
9 weapons
12 rooms (though I'm contemplating including the cloakroom as a possible murder location as well which would make 13 rooms - not sure how well that would work though)

As you probably know these numbers differ from the real version but I don't think it will make a huge difference (the real version has 960 possible combinations, mine will have 972 combinations).

Below is a picture of my board so far, it's not quite finished yet and several things may change before I've finished. This image is much lower resolution than the final image which will span 8 A4 sheets of paper at 300dpi.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:23 pm

This seems cool!

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Looking classy! I like the font you chose!

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:29 pm

BBP wrote:Looking classy! I like the font you chose!
Thanks. The font is called "Betty Noir" and it comes from blambot.com - the designer there has some really cool free fonts available.

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Who will the extra 3 suspects be?

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:00 am

ClueLover98 wrote:Who will the extra 3 suspects be?
Hello,

The Super Cluedo Challenge pawns I'm planning to use represent:

Reverend Green, Colonel Mustard, Miss Scarlett, Mrs Peacock, Professor Plum, Mrs White, Mr Slate-Grey, Captain Brown, and Miss Peach.

Below is a photo of the actual playing pieces.

The weapons from the same set are:

Revolver, Lead Piping, Axe, Spanner, Blunderbuss, Dagger, Candlestick, Rope, and Poison.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:18 am

The game looks great so far. If you're going to make your own cards. Can I make one tiny suggestion:

Change Mr. Slate-Grey's name - I know that is his official name but you could make him:

Mr. Grey
Mr. Slate
Mr. Slater
etc

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:11 am

I like Slate-Grey. Keep it as is!

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:24 pm

I like Slate-Grey. Especially the one from "Murder in Disguise".

(P.S. I've seen a good majority of the past topics all the way from 2004.)

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:36 pm

That was Sgt Grey

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be sticking with Mr Slate-Grey as that's his proper name and it sounds fine to me.

I've been working on a concept for the cards, it's not a final design yet but let me know what you think so far.
The weapon art is the original art from the cards that I've scanned and cut out - I really like the black and white art against the blood.
I'm not sure about the font - I like it but do you think it's easily readable or would another font choice be better?

ClueLover98
Slueth

Post by ClueLover98 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:30 pm

I think it looks fine.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:56 am

I like that art nouveau font, it's very readable - not sure about all the blood though.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:59 am

I think the blood fits quite well.

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:11 pm

I like the blood personally, it's probably the horror fan in me and it is a game about a murder (albeit quaint family friendly murder). And I just think the weapons stand out nicely against it.

I'm not sure though the the board matches well with the cards so I've experimented with changing the board colours. I will probably use a border around the room name in a similar style to the cards to tie the two together ( and maybe a blood splatter behind the name in each room as well).

I'll post a picture below so you can compare the different colour schemes.
Let me know if you prefer the original colour scheme or the new colour scheme.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:42 pm

The original, the outside areas looks as if they are outside of the mansion. But I like the spaces of the new board some maybe you could mix the two together.

SgtMayo
Suspect

blood

Post by SgtMayo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:18 pm

maybe just a little "less" blood -- a light pool or splatter instead of the chainsaw massacre you have pictured....LOL :D

And i would keep the rooms clean.

I def think you should keep the font the same from the board to the cards so its all homogenized.

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:35 am

I've made some improvements to the board. I've given the walls a brick pattern and the hedges now look more like hedges. Below is a full size view and also a closeup (it''s approximately life-size on my 24inch monitor).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:14 pm

ruckage wrote:I've made some improvements to the board. I've given the walls a brick pattern and the hedges now look more like hedges. Below is a full size view and also a closeup (it''s approximately life-size on my 24inch monitor).
Really nice work. I really like the way this looks. I also liked the contrasting blue color in the rooms, but see it's likely too much as it stands. I wonder if you could lightly tint each room with complimentary colors that would match their function (e.g. green in the billiard room), and add some contrast while keeping the overall muted gray look?

ruckage
Snoop

Post by ruckage » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
ruckage wrote:I've made some improvements to the board. I've given the walls a brick pattern and the hedges now look more like hedges. Below is a full size view and also a closeup (it''s approximately life-size on my 24inch monitor).
Really nice work. I really like the way this looks. I also liked the contrasting blue color in the rooms, but see it's likely too much as it stands. I wonder if you could lightly tint each room with complimentary colors that would match their function (e.g. green in the billiard room), and add some contrast while keeping the overall muted gray look?
Thanks for the reply. I've made a quick test with tinted room colours but I think personally I prefer just the grey colour for the rooms, it just looks nicer to me.

I've posted a picture below of how it looks with coloured rooms anyway - bear in mind I put no thought into what colour each room should be, I just picked a different colour for each just to see how it might look. Doesn't look terrible but I still think the grey looks better - what do you think?