Favorite Version of Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Favorite Clue Version

Poll ended at Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:39 pm

1949/50/56
No votes
7%
1972/79
33%
1986/89
No votes
27%
1996/97
33%
No votes

Total votes: 15

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 pm

go_leafs_nation wrote:My personal favourite is the '96 version. It got me introduced to Clue, and I suppose that might explain why I'm so attatched to it.
I too like the '96 Clue version overall, but second best to the '72 edition.

But it MUST be the 1996 long box edition, the last of the long boxes and the end of an era. The vignette looks great in that wide cineramic landscape.

I do not care for the 1998 edition, the characters looked cramped on the box and the dimensions are all out of whack. Even the 2002/2005 editions kept the vignette "letterboxed" in the same aspect ratio as the former long boxes.

But there's an error on this poll.

THERE WAS NO 1997 US EDITION. Michael's entry is mislabeled. All of the copyright dates for these editions are either 1996, or 1998. Both editions share a 1997 dated Detective notepad, and Confidential envelope, and may be where the confusion comes from.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:35 pm

I always found the 1996 box misleading as the sumptuous look does not continue to the game contents.

MajPepper
Suspect

Post by MajPepper » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:01 am

So I was typing a big post about why I like 1996, and don't like some others, and then in the middle of typing I guess I hit enter or something, because it said my post was submitted but there was a banned word or something like that, and it's now pending approval...I'll edit that post when/if it gets approved, for now I guess suffice it to say I like 1996.

ajk93
Snoop

Post by ajk93 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:01 am

---Murder By Death---
I tried creating an updated poll, but with the new changes, I had too many options. I apoligize if my poll irritated you :) !
"De-de-de-de-de-da...I Am Your Singing Telegram"

Frostbyte
Slueth

Post by Frostbyte » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:24 pm

I went to a local Kmart that had this listed as being in stock, and found a single copy of the 2002 edition (next to a bajillion DTS editions). I scanned it with Red Laser, and it showed this one, so I guess they both share the same SKU.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Frostbyte wrote:I went to a local Kmart that had this listed as being in stock, and found a single copy of the 2002 edition (next to a bajillion DTS editions). I scanned it with Red Laser, and it showed this one, so I guess they both share the same SKU.
Hopefully that means people bought the classic edition and shunned DTS. :wink:

Not gonna hold my breath though, as others have presumed it's likely the last of their old inventory put out to compete with Target's Vintage edition, Winning Moves & Frontgate. They may have even gone around the country buying up surplus from smaller chains and distribution warehouses to have sufficient supply, or acquired them from some sort of business acquisition.

My guess is that KMart got the picture wrong. It makes much more sense that they were selling the 2002 (presume its actually the 2005 edition), as the 1996/1998 edition would have presumably sold out long ago unless it's a reissue (which I doubt). I doubt its the same SKU on both boxes.

If it is the 2005 edition with the beige side panel, I might just go pick this up to get a set with the corrected cards.

rob r
Suspect

Post by rob r » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:18 am

I have to say 1972. The neighbor had it, it's the Clue I grew up playing. Also, I now own a sealed copy of it.

Rob

MajPepper
Suspect

Post by MajPepper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:52 am

1996 is my favorite for nostalgia factor, being the first edition I played. But I also genuinely think it has quite a lot going for it in the art department, both on the box and board, and in the suspect cards.

I don't understand the love for 1992.
Generally speaking, I don't like lots of white negative space, I prefer darker accents, like the forest green of 1996 and 2002. I'm also not a big fan of gold, so the white lettering of the later editions is also more preferable. I also prefer boards that have dark boarders, preferably on showing the estate grounds. The day time "well-lit" look of 1992 bothers me greatly, and I don't feel it accurately captures the mood of an evening of murder, so I feel the 1996 board excels in that regard (though I think the 2002 board is even better).

I also hate all of the suspects. They're well-done I suppose, but conceptually I don't really like them as a fit for the characters.

As far as 1972, I can appreciate its simple elegance. My only complaints are that I'd like the tiles to be darker, the typeface a little cleaner, and no white accenting on the box.

I do like the 1963 version (or its Vintage reprints at least), but mostly for the ironic cheese factor.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:54 am

MajPepper wrote:So I was typing a big post about why I like 1996, and don't like some others, and then in the middle of typing I guess I hit enter or something, because it said my post was submitted but there was a banned word or something like that, and it's now pending approval...I'll edit that post when/if it gets approved, for now I guess suffice it to say I like 1996.
Approved... Spam filter is overly cautious sometimes. Sorry it took so long...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

MajPepper
Suspect

Post by MajPepper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:56 am

Haha, that's alright, I figured it was something like that. Thanks!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Conceptually, I think the 1992 suspects are perfect. I'm not disappointed with any of them. The colours of the entire game and board are are also quite rich and warm.

Comparatively, the 1996 mansion looks woefully cheap. Particularly the concrete under the carpets in the Study and Lounge, and those ugly plastic bucket chairs in the Conservatory.

Also, what is with the lighting? While it's nighttime outside, the daylight reflected from the windows suggest otherwise.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:25 am

CluedoKid wrote:Conceptually, I think the 1992 suspects are perfect. I'm not disappointed with any of them. The colours of the entire game and board are are also quite rich and warm.
Really? I like the individual rooms on the 1992 board (except the Conservatory), but the yellow tiles are bland, the mint green bored is boring, and the red trim is jolting and ugly. The standard 1996 board makes the red trim work with warmer, more interesting tiles and an appropriately darker outside. There IS too much green though, it's undeniable. When I was little I always got the Study and Lounge confused because they were both so green.

In my opinion, the best board is the Fiftieth Anniversary board. The tacky red border is gone and the overwhelming amount of green has been fixed. The purple sofa in the red-carpeted Study is a bit painful, but forgivable given the beauty of the rest of the board. Even the card backs and the parchment-like backgrounds of the card fronts are excellent.

The 1996 suspects are also my favorite. As I've said before, they're so cohesive as a group. Their quirks work together to form the best group of suspects Clue has ever seen. 1992 suspects work well together, but they're just not as distinct as the 1996 suspects are in my mind.

As far as 1972 is considered... I wish it had been skipped. I do like the idea of the board, but there's no coordination and it just looks tacky. And although I do like their Professor Plum, and although I can give Mrs. White and Mr. Green passes, Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, and Mrs. Peacock are unforgivable to me. They're just awful.

So my vote goes to 1996, although I do wish I could specify that it's the Fiftieth Anniversary game.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:30 am

My favorite is also the 50th anniversary, but since it's based on 1996, that was my selection.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:30 pm

Green wrote:As far as 1972 is considered... I wish it had been skipped. I do like the idea of the board, but there's no coordination and it just looks tacky.
LOL, there are people who feel that way about the entire decade. Clearly you did not grow up in the 70s as everything was uncoordinated and tacky. but rest-assured, that board was the height of style when it came out.
Green wrote:Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, and Mrs. Peacock are unforgivable to me. They're just awful.
To each his own. Not gonna force my opinion on anyone, but the '72 Scarlet is iconic, the first and best of the Asian inspired Scarlets. Colonel Mustard is classic, if a bit over the top, and Peacock is simply a classic character, with one of the greatest expressions I've ever seen. You may not prefer these depictions, but as far as they go, taken as a whole these characters are all equally well done and uniformly look like they belong together ... as do the '96 suspects. I do not feel that way about the '92 portrayals.

But overall, I would have to say the LGE does the best job. The red-backed cards, board design, without the 50th gold foil stamping (trying too hard), weapons and pawns. Unfortunately, this POLL does not allow the special editions, it is ONLY for the STANDARD editions. So my vote stands with the standard 1972 edition. Hopefully, nobody is voting for the 96/98 edition when they really mean the LGE or 50th Anniversary editions.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Unfortunately, this POLL does not allow the special editions, it is ONLY for the STANDARD editions. So my vote stands with the standard 1972 edition. Hopefully, nobody is voting for the 96/98 edition when they really mean the LGE or 50th Anniversary editions.
I still like the 96/98 standard version better than all of the other standard versions. I just think 50th Anniversary is even better than that one.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:03 am

Likewise...

1996 was the first Clue game I bought for myself and I fell in love with it immediately... so there's a lot of sentimental value.

As for ALL standard editions, I would by far go with Cluedo 2000, but since this is only for Clue games... I still stick with 1996.
Was it Miss Scarlet with the Candlestick in the Ballroom? Yes... yes it was.

CluedoAuthor12
Master Detective

Post by CluedoAuthor12 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:56 pm

I think the 1996 was my first real introduction to Clue,but as a little kid I loved reading the mystery books based on the characters of the 1992 game, so I'd have to say that the 1992 version is my favorite. I really like the box for that one, but my favorite game board would have to be from the 2002 edition.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:24 pm

1996 was the first Clue game I played and the first one I owned, so I'm sure that has an impact on my opinions. I also loved reading the books with the 1992 characters, but I always thought they were silly and wrong and instead imagine the 1996 characters. :)

ajk93
Snoop

Post by ajk93 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:53 pm

MY 50th POST
-----------------
As the poll comes to an end, I want to thank you all for voting.
Soon, I will post a new poll using the results of this one, to really
narrow it down to our favorite.

MurderByDeath...I will try to make the next poll up to your standards :D
"De-de-de-de-de-da...I Am Your Singing Telegram"