The Rival

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

The Rival

Post by Black » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:28 am

I think someone is trying to rival this site.

http://www.cluedo.org.uk/forum/index.php

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:16 am

:shock:

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:33 am

I like the simpler layout of this site better. Oh that and the years worth of material and contributions from member that are already here on this very site!

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 am

For that site, I like the lack of adds and the banner. However, the suspect/room icons must have broken links because they don't lead anywhere.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:21 am

Good graphics does not a good site make.

Already the site seems like a FAIL with the first member post being from Black telling the host that the site is exactly like TheArtofMurder. :)

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:26 am

munitzer wrote:For that site, I like the lack of adds and the banner. However, the suspect/room icons must have broken links because they don't lead anywhere.
I didn't have ads for the longest time either... but running this website (especially with all of the images) can be pricey and it helps offset the cost. Do they really bother you? I never even notice them anymore. (But feel free to click away on them!)
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:40 am

There have been other Clue forums too over the years. Like Clueboy12s. Most of the members there, though, were members he lured over from here and the content was almost the same. The thing is, setting up a forum is really easy. Maintaining it takes a LOT of work and dedication - more than the casual enthusiast would realize. I've spent the last five years on this site, logging in several times daily keeping up with it. I'm curious to see if this new one will last, because nothing is worse for your members than to have something start to build up in which a group of people have invested a lot of time and energy and then get abandoned because the person who started it gets bored with it.
Last edited by Michael on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:51 am

The ads aren't a real problem. I rarely recognize them, and, in fact, the only reason I mentioned it was because when I was flipping back and forth betwixt this one and that, I noticed the ads here. I find the content on this forum engrossing enough that a rectangle on the margin of the page rarely distracts me.

What would seem to be the most difficult aspect of starting a forum would be what to start talking about first. Obviously, I wasn't here at the genesis of theartofmurder, but that just seems like it would have been a long time to get conversations started and people joining.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:15 pm

I don't think it's anything to worry about. It probably won't get many members, since most Clue fans looking to join a forum have already done so here.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:44 pm

I joined up on the site, just for the sake of it.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm

The site looks good, as does the forum. There just isn't anything there. There's nothing to it except some nice graphics. I'm sure some content will pop up eventually, but right now, it's got nothing on any of the other big CLUE(do) sites.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:32 am

Well, I assume most Clue fans (the few that there are) would have joined this community, seeing as it is the only one I have found. It looks like a nice site and hey, the thought was nice. And no, I think the ads are fine.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:08 pm

http://www.cluedo.org.uk/

That is the main site. Interesting in its potential

jaymzalexander
Snoop

Post by jaymzalexander » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:51 pm

It's a really nice looking site. The graphics are consistent and not over done (which is a nice change from some fan made sites I've seen... and made when younger lol)
I very much doubt it would ever take the place of this site though.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:30 pm

What I think works better for this site is that it is theme neutral. It's classic. And no matter what is being discussed it compliments it.

The other site uses the 2002 artwork (which is not my favorite) mashed up with the 1950s artwork, and for a complete change in technology the Fatal Illusion digital artwork is intermeshed.

For me, it's just too much. Not sure what content they are likely to offer that isn't thoroughly covered here. But as we all know, there are items to be found in other's collections not found here or showcased differently, so I always welcome that. As a forum, I'd have to see what kinds of different discussion it produces.

Quadsworth
Slueth

Post by Quadsworth » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:13 pm

Well sometimes I think this site can be a little plain but I do like how it is light. Dark sites are a pain in the butt to read.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 am

Tum is a web user interface designer, so I took the benefit of his advice with colors and text. I wouldn't mind something flashier, but as was pointed out above, I don't want to use dated characters and the game changes too much. Less is more.