What's Your Religion

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

What Religion Do You Consider Yourself To Be?

Roman Catholic
8%
Christian - Other
23%
Jewish
4%
Muslim
No votes
Hindu
No votes
Wiccan/Other Pagan
8%
Buddhist
4%
Agnostic
31%
Atheist
15%
Not Listed
8%

Total votes: 26

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:46 pm

I picked Buddhism as I've always been inspired by Zen philosophy (Though I wish I could study it in greater depth). The ideas of the circle of human suffering due to our ignorance really does make the most sense as to why we get so unhappy. However, I've given up on attempting to label myself to just one Religious label. I go to a Christian church from time to time because I know the community there and I am a confirmed member. I have no problem with believing in God or the Bible, but I see Her as a force of nature rather than a literal physical creator of the universe. Praying to God is another form of meditation.

I'm going to attempt to read the entire Bible again because there was a time when I was younger and I tried to read it and it went over my head. I'd like to give it another go. I read Song of Solomon and it was a beautiful piece of poetry. However, fundamentalist interpretation of the Bible is just perverted. No excuse at all. Fundies embarrass themselves and they embarrass me .

Islam is another faith which I have great respect for. I always appreciated it's views that science is our way of revealing the mysteries of the world created by Allah rather than the view that science is an enemy to the Word of God. The land which is now Iraq had been a bountiful utopia of knowledge at one point in Ancient history; a civilization far ahead of it's time. While Christian Europe was heavily ruled by the Church and literature was reserved for privileged few, the Islamic nations were advocating universal education for both men and women.

Of course, right-wing Islamic fundamentalism eventually took over and Iraq is a far cry from it's Ancient former self. Just as well, I commend the "civilized nations" efforts to flatten Iraq into parking lot and thrust it back into the Middle Ages. Kudos Democracy. :roll:

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 am

Wiccan.

Snively
Snoop

Post by Snively » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 am

Okay, my religion is really difficult. So my whole family on my moms side practices Pagan religion, so that's what I'm used too. I was just learned that I was born Catholic so every time I do something bad, I cross myself, but I'm mostly agnostic, because I'm open to anything, but believe in God and don't really practice anything.

Doesn't really make sense, but that's my religious beliefs in a nutshell

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am

A mixture of atheism, Christianity, Hindu, and Buddhism. And a little bit of Pagan.

Really, it's just bits and pieces of them. I don't believe in the god Ganesh or the Christian god, (in fact I don't believe in any god at all), but I agree with some philosophies and ideas in each.

ATHEISM: I don't believe in God or Heaven or HeII
CHRISTIANITY: Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you
HINDU: Reincarnation
BUDDHISM: Suffering and meditation
PAGAN: I'm not really sure, but my mom's side of the family is kind of pagan-esque, and I feel as if I am a part of it.

Snively
Snoop

Post by Snively » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:57 am

Oh, thank you Fendue, I also believe reincarnation. So that makes my beliefs a little more difficult, considering I'm not sure if most pagans believe in reincarnation, but my family kind of does, and I do, for the most part
I hate everyone;
Admired in hypocrisy
Yeah I'm still down with JC
I guess that everyone includes me
And that's why I'm a humanist
-Hate Everyone, Say Anything

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:02 am

fendue wrote: ATHEISM: I don't believe in God or Heaven or HeII
CHRISTIANITY: Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you
HINDU: Reincarnation
BUDDHISM: Suffering and meditation
PAGAN: I'm not really sure, but my mom's side of the family is kind of pagan-esque, and I feel as if I am a part of it.
You don't have to be Christian to be good... that's just common sense morality. Likewise, you don't need to be Hindu to believe in reincarnation... etc. I would classify you as an atheist, seeing as how most of the others primarily focus on some form of god.

That's like saying "I'm part Asian because I speak Chinese." Identifying with one part of a whole does not make you part of that whole... it just makes part of your beliefs parallel to those of another faith.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Has anyone ever had an awkward experience of balancing religion within the family--like part of your family worships one way, the other half worships another, and you try to find a balance?
My sister (the one with the circumcised son) has in-laws who are Jewish--and I mean heavily. They're not as strict or uptight as, say, Orthodox Jews, but they can be pretty adhement about keeping kosher, and everything all-around traditional (my family's not as religious, so things can get pretty awkward if you bring the wrong brand of apple juice at Passover). So at Christmastime, we weren't sure whether or not to invite them over for lunch (our tradition is to have one big Christmas lunch with the family and some family friends of my parents come over, and a relatively small dinner with just me and my parents). We didn't know if they'd want to come, or if they'd be offended that we invited them to a Christian celebration (my sister and her husband came with their son, because it's a family thing to them more than anything else). So we ended up not inviting them. However, when the mother-in-law later on found out, she felt hurt that we didn't invite her to a family lunch. But, well, how do you know what will offend them and what won't?

Another instance that comes to mind is when I was younger...according to my parents, back when my grandparents were still alive, they'd take two seperate pictures of me: One picture of me in front of the menorah and send that to my mom's parents, and one picture of me in front of the tree and send that to my grandmother (her husband died before I was born). Even today, it was still pretty funny because in one corner of the room, you had the tree with the slowly-mounting presents, and in the other, you had my mother and I lighting the menorah.

So yeah. Things get pretty tricky when balancing religion in the family, especially if it's mixed religion.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I think I've changed my views on reincarnation. I'm kind of agnostic about reincarnation. It might be true, and it might not, but it doesn't really matter.

And... I've been living a lie! That's always fun! I am a closet atheist, expect for close family and people I don't know very well on the Internet.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:37 am

edit.

mrla

Post by mrla » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:58 am

I struggle with the notion of one god kick starting the whole show...I'd say that I am a casual, cultural Christian...one with questions...

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 pm

Tonight is Passover (sun just went down) and my mom is preparing the final touches for dinner as I type this. For now, we're going to have a small sedar with just me and my parents, and then a slightly larger one with my oldest sister and her son (the younger one is the one with the circumcised son) tomorrow night, instead of a large one with all the in-laws with my other sister.
To tell the truth, I'm kind of relieved; when celebrating religious holidays like Passover, or even traditional ones like Christmas, I prefer celebrating with a small group of my family like my parents and one of my siblings instead having a large, fancy celebration with every single in-law and distant cousin. First, because there's less pressure to keep "TRADITIOOONNN!" (remember what I said about the wrong brand of apple juice? Happened to my other sister last year and she got heck for it). Second, because I'm more of an introvert; I feel more comfortable in a small group of people than in a large group.

Also, the best part of religious/traditional holidays? The food. 8)
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Recently, in school, we've been going over Pantheism, and something seems to have clicked for me. Though not really a religion itself, the idea really appeals to me for some reason.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Care to tell us more about Pantheism?

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Basically, the universe of all existance is one in the same with the figure of 'God,' the universal 'is.' The 'is' never was and never will be, but it simply is, always in the present.

All things are part of this 'is,' and it must use itself to create. Yet, it has always existed. The godlike quality of man, which resembes the grand 'is', is that which always exists, even after physical death, as the spirit existed before the body. Because the all-encomposing cosmos is essentially good, all people, are therefore good. There is no evil, simply lesser good, with the figure of 'Satan' being the least good.

The revelation of the 'is-ness' of man occurs through emotion, the purest form of spiritual release. Intellect can justify actions that are less good, and therefore, intellect itself is not the purest revelation of a person's being.

Of course, this definition may be antiquated, and I'm utilizing Christian imgarey because it's what I grew up with.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Agnostic Theist. In short: I believe in a Higher Power, and I refer to said Higher Power as "God," but I do not believe that anyone can prove the existence of any Higher Power. Since I go to a Baptist college, I don't talk about it much. If anyone asks, I believe in God (which is not a lie, just a streamlined truth).

I like to joke that when we all die, we'll find out that we were all wrong, and the actual "afterlife" is something which nobody on Earth ever thought of. :P

EDIT: When I'm home, I typically attend a Methodist church with my mom. At school, lately, I've been attending Mass with a Catholic friend. Again, since I go to a Baptist college, it's nice to get away from the Bible-beating for a little while to just sit, stand, sit, stand, kneel, stand, kneel, sit, stand, sit, and enjoy the homily.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 pm

It feels bad to be a minority. And especially seeing people being sworn at, killed, etc. just because they're different really bugs me. So I don't intend to ever come out about my lack of faith, really, although I really want to be able to express my feelings. I feel like I'm trapped.

Aah... the wonders of religion. If religion didn't exist, then none of this would have happened. Not even 9/11. Sigh... I'm going to go contemplate now.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Honestly, it works both ways. I'm surrounded by everything from atheists to fundamental Christians every day, and I've seen people bugged for having faith just as much as I've seen people bugged for having a lack of faith.

Furthermore, the world's problems cannot simply be blamed on religion. Even things that seem to be religiously-motivated have deeper agendas behind them.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:10 pm

Edit because of teen angst
Last edited by cacums on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Religion is the cause of most of the world's conflicts. I really think it does more harm than good.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 pm

I never really understood why there's so much emphasis on particular religions in the USA--up here in Canada, you just worship whoever you want to worship and no one makes a huge deal out of it. You go to church, fine. You go to synagogue, fine. You don't go anywhere, fine. Yet in the States, people seem to make a huge deal out of who or what you worship, if anything at all.