Total votes: 17

PoirotMarlowe304
Menace to Society

Post by PoirotMarlowe304 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:34 pm

I know, I have a friend just like you, so I know what you mean

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:07 pm

There is a big difference (as explained above) between Catholicism and Protestant...ism(?) so I can see why you are upset.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

PoirotMarlowe304
Menace to Society

Post by PoirotMarlowe304 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 pm

finally someone sees it the way I do!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:12 pm

My ex-girlfriend is Catholic (no, that's not why she's my ex) and so I got to see how the Catholic religion worked for about...three months.

The best part was during Lent when she gave up chocolate. oh...we had fun with her during that...

Stupid me bought her a box of chocolate for Valentine's Day (during Lent) so she stuck it in the freezer.

Her dad ate it.

PoirotMarlowe304
Menace to Society

Post by PoirotMarlowe304 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:13 pm

I can't help myself: HAHAHAHAHA

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:40 pm

PoirotMarlowe304 wrote:With the separation of the Roman Empire into the Eastern and Western Empires, the Christian faith was split. The Western Empire, centered in Rome, became Catholic with the Pope in the Vatican. The Eastern Empire, centered in Constantinople [Istanbul], has many Asian and Balkan influences leading it to change into Eastern Orthodox, which split off into many branches, but unliked Protestant branches, they shared the same beliefs and were only changed to designate the places they were from - Greece, Russia, etc etc. The split of Christianity into Protest faiths that we see today is to be blamed on the Germans .... during the Reformation they broke their small princedoms away from the Holy Roman Empire becuase they didn't want to live the same way, and didn't feel like compromisng so they just broke away. In order to keep his empire together, Emperor Charlamange began a war to unite the country (however ironic that sounds) that lasted many years, destroyed entire villages, and left the German economy *beep* on distruction. The princes, however, won the freedom of religion. From there, the Protestants (led by Martin Luther) spred across Northern Europe and into England. Differences between Protestants and Catholics over the cneturies in Europe have sparked massacres and royal coupes. The Pilgrims wanted to break away from the Protestant Church of England, but they weren't Catholic so they made another branch of christianity in America. Now, as the Colonies went on we began to see more and more variation of the faith: Baptist, Angilican, Presbeterian, Lutheran ... etc etc. Now, Catholicism is still a strong faith, but to me it is the most fuedal-like, and structured faith. They have been very conservative in keeping strict laws against certain practices, which I think are in the best interest for the people. The Catholics also have a strongest heircy system in all religions, as I can see. It goes from deacons, to priests, to bishops, archbishops or cardinals, a few high posts in the Vatican, then to the Holy Father himself. Catholicism is the most publicized faith especially with the Pope. The Pope does not just stay in the Vatican and give sermons (at least John Paul the 2nd didn't) he went out, preached, did amazing things. Together, he and Ronald Reagan were swiftly bring the Soviet Union to a fall. Catholics are both faithful, but they are also political. Most of the world's Catholic nations are in Southeastern and Western Europe: Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Andoraa, Monaco, San Marino, the Vatican (that was a given). Then there are very Catholic nations in South America and Central America, as well as a growing popularity in Africa and Asia.

Thank you, my point is made and if you read all that you cans it there and feel either smart and proud to know the history of the Catholic faith, or dumb enough to sit there and ramble on about something when you're Jewish.

I dont care.

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:54 am

I saw Cluedoist on the list so I thought, Reverend Green must practice that religon :lol:

http://tinypic.com/8yfeco.jpg
Last edited by PrinceAzure33 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:12 pm

Well Catholics do think of themselves as different than Christians, I don't know why, but they do. It's more of they think they are better than Christians. I was baptised Catholic, went to a Presbyterian Church, Lutheran Elementary and Middle School, and now a Catholic High School. You are right, Cluedokid, there is no difference. Well, minor differences, but the general idea is the same.

ClueBoy12
Informant

Post by ClueBoy12 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:58 pm

Well it could also be said that theres the "same general idea" in all religions.
But Catholics dont' think their better than Christians because that doesn't make sense, Catholism is a branch of Christianity, its just theres many different ideas and belifs floating around and there is a difference.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:02 pm

Niteshade007 wrote:Well Catholics do think of themselves as different than Christians, I don't know why, but they do. It's more of they think they are better than Christians. I was baptised Catholic, went to a Presbyterian Church, Lutheran Elementary and Middle School, and now a Catholic High School. You are right, Cluedokid, there is no difference. Well, minor differences, but the general idea is the same.
I guess your a religion jetsetter. Going from one to the next.
All you need is love!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Colonel Gray Poopond wrote:
Niteshade007 wrote:Well Catholics do think of themselves as different than Christians, I don't know why, but they do. It's more of they think they are better than Christians. I was baptised Catholic, went to a Presbyterian Church, Lutheran Elementary and Middle School, and now a Catholic High School. You are right, Cluedokid, there is no difference. Well, minor differences, but the general idea is the same.
I guess your a religion jetsetter. Going from one to the next.
Not really. All of those branch from the central hub (Christianity, in this case). There is very little difference between many, but each one has its own ways of handling things.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:36 pm

Fine I guess hes a christian branch religion jetsetter. :roll:
All you need is love!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:03 pm

Actually, I never really considered myself any of those. But I do happen to be well informed about other religions. I have relatives who are Jehovah's Witnesses, a friend who is Mormon, and all other sorts of religions, I just can't think of any of them at the moment, lol.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:18 pm

I am not Christian, nor do I want to be one. But I dont want to bash it. I think that it dosnt matter what religion you are as long as that religion makes you feel safe and happy. It dosnt even have to be a religion. I like Christianity. I think it can be a nice and good-feeling religion. Its the way people present it that I hate and puts me off. For example the way Sabai said it will not make me want to be a Christain any more then before. The way he presented it made God sound like an insentuous prick. In other words someone I wouldnt worship. Also the sales of indugences from the Medeviel Times was a scam and a rip off and was an excuse for a preist to sin more than the people begging for forgiveness. If Im going to be part of a religion, its got to appeal to me. Im practicing Buddisim, and it works with me, maybe not for other but it works for me.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:42 pm

So...you worship a fat Chinese guy?

That explains a lot...

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:54 pm

Hey I didnt make fun of your religion, dont make fun of mine. :evil:

and htere was more to him than a "fat chinease guy" plus he was Indian.

and you get mad at me for being rude :roll:

ClueBoy12
Informant

Post by ClueBoy12 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:04 pm

Not all buddha's are viewed as "fat" that is only the laughing buddha or Mi-Lo-Fo, I am Catholic but i respect all religions and think all people should be free to express their religions but as the old phrase goes, the 2 things you don't talk about with people are politics and religion, and judging from the posts here, i think that is a wise saying. Theres no need to discuss things that are going to get people angry.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:42 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:So...you worship a fat Chinese guy?

That explains a lot...
Ahem, Buddhists do not worship Buddha. Buddha is not thought of as god. Buddha founded Buddhism. He was also born in a city called Lumbini(Nowadays located in Nepal), not China

I should know. My dad is a Buddhist.
All you need is love!

ClueBoy12
Informant

Post by ClueBoy12 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:47 pm

exactly! Also Image yeah thats a common image/dipiction of Buddha(i have a little desk statue of it), yeah not a "fat chinese guy" huh? anyway, don't talk about religions you don't understand and don't dis others religions, i'm catholic, i have a buddha statue, i have a shiva keychain, doesn't make me any less catholic, i'm instrested in other religions and have a deep respect for them except for religions that bash others.

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:31 pm

I've been looking for a Buddha desk statue....

I'm interested not only in other's religions but culture. The world is a big, big place and there is so much to see.
Last edited by Colonel Gray Poopond on Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All you need is love!