Halloween

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Halloween

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:55 am

Halloween is approaching... what are you doing for it?

We're having a party tomorrow. I've been working on getting ready for it for the past several weekends.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am

Founding the Stop Halloween action group.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 am

Don't make me donate to the stop the stop halloween action group.

What on earth would possess you to even think such a horrible thought?!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm

What could you hate about a night devoted to cross dressing and sending your children out onto the streets to beg for fattening foods?

As for my plans, I'm trick-or-treating with some friends as a certain brightly colored professor wielding a candlestick.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Michael wrote:Don't make me donate to the stop the stop halloween action group.

What on earth would possess you to even think such a horrible thought?!
Halloween is not a native celebration to The Netherlands. It was imported here by US companies after they discovered they couldn't shift their pumpkin junk back in 2001. So it's not just recent: it's very recent.

There are several native Dutch celebrations that contain elements of Halloween. Such as the entire carnaval season, which start on November 11 and culminates in the major celebrations with parades, dress-up, beer and music just before Lent. Carnaval is only celebrated in the south of The Netherlands (where I hail from), and people in the north tend to look down on it: of course they have no problem with Halloween, which they'll celebrate with dress-up and booze.

Then, there's St Maarten. St Maarten is celebrated on November 11th in the middle and north of The Netherlands and involves kids with lampoons going from door to door, singing a song trying to get some candy.

There's also the Driekoningen (Epiphany) festivity on January 6th, where kids go door to door dressed as kings and singing songs, to pick up candy. Sometimes it's celebrated on the eve of Driekoningen, when they go door to door with lampoons. Also,at home, a special Driekoningen cake is served with a bean in it. Whoever gets the bean will be king for a day. This is celebrated in the south, and in Belgium.

With Halloween coming up, the other celebrations suffer: notably St Maarten, since it takes place less than 2 weeks after Halloween. Epiphany has suffered waning popularity for years and pretty much only has the bean part left nowadays. Carnaval still has a very strong base since it's much more celebrated with communities and organisations, but you can tell there are a lot more horror themed costumes nowadays, while Carnaval is more about fun for the fun of it until you burst and beyond.

So, hope I've made my point: traditions that are hundreds of years old are being substituted for something that's purely commercial.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:34 pm

It'll depend on how I'm feeling. I still have a bit of a cold. If I'm feeling up to it, I would love to take my nephews trick-or-treating. Otherwise, I might stay in and hand out candy, then watch a movie.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:14 pm

My team at work is supposed to dress up as pirates, but I don't think anyone is. I don't want to be the only one doing it, so I'll avoid it. First Halloween at a conservative corporate environment, not really sure what the rules are.

Last year I had a great time. I went as Christopher Robin and carried around a Winnie the Pooh doll. My boyfriend went as Cody from the Rescuers Down Under and had a backpack with Bernard and Bianca in it. No one knew who he was, but they knew who I was anyway. This year we were going to be Batman and Robin, but as we broke up...well, that's not gonna happen.

Here we are last year at Mickey's Not So Scary, I went twice

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 pm

I dressed as Hercule Poirot at work the other day. Tonight I'll probably be Gomez Addams, and help my mom hand out candy at my cousin's house. We never get trick-or-treaters in our subdivision, so there's no point staying home.

If I do stay home, I've got my iPod loaded with appropriate tunes for the day, and will let it run on shuffle while I pig out on candy, coffee, and horror movies.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Played Clue with my little brother since he feels too old to trick or treat.

He won :evil: Colonel Mustard with the Wrench in the Kitchen.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:45 am

cacums wrote:Played Clue with my little brother since he feels too old to trick or treat.

He won :evil: Colonel Mustard with the Wrench in the Kitchen.
I played the SFX game the day before. Both games I played, I got the killer wrong.

White - Bucket - Stable (I said Peacock)

Mustard - Hammer - Garden (I said Green)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 am

I went out with my nephew, but he only felt like doing a few houses, so I went back home and watched "The Witches". (By the way, I heard it's getting re-made?)
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am

I've never been trick or treating, is it fun? (Not that I want start now, I'm 20)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Black wrote:I've never been trick or treating, is it fun? (Not that I want start now, I'm 20)
Depends on your threshold of patience with younger siblings and the weather.

I remember all my friends excited about trick or treating but every year I'd dress up in a costume and then it would be so cold that I'd have to hide my costume under a coat. I'd trudge up driveway after driveway begging for candy, then get home and feel so cold and tired that I would just go to bed and pretend that none of this had ever happened.