The Site's Next Generation?

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

The Site's Next Generation?

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 am

I was recollecting an earlier time on this site when the likes of NightShade007, Clueboy12, Depboy and Jay Beeskow were frequent members. Most of the members were teenagers or older, though I was eleven or twelve. The site seemed to hit a peak of activity with the introduction of forum games like my creation, The Game of Clue. It reached over 100 pages! I never gave it much thought then, but the early/mid 2000's was a awkward and lonely time in the 'real' world. Having Clue-oriented company on a forum helped keep me going; an outlet really. I may be wrong, but I think that kind of loneliness and insecurity has been a common bond for most of us besides our love for Clue itself.

Most of the members I mentioned above are now next to non-existent, though they may be lurking in secret. I still remained (soon to accumulate 16000 posts and counting!), and continue to enjoy the new members who came to see what the fuss was all about. Then came the Dr. Montgomery game which was played frequently. Also, the TV series finally surfaced to those of us who could only ogle over the material from the show posted on Cluedofan.com. That set off the mystery writing craze.

Maybe I fawning foolishly over nostalgia, or growing, or something. I've always been open to how this site has evolved. But nobody's arguing. No forum games are raging. TheArtofMurder has gone on life support. Michael had posted his reflection somewhere on this site about how the thrill of the hunt has been reduced to a few clicks of the mouse to turn the orange page to grey. I couldn't agree more.

I think Clue being reinvented has been a blow to the site's interest. Clue of Olde has been made redundant. What else is left to be dissected about the game?

I have trouble envisioning those of us still hanging in eager to humour a generation raised on the Reinvention, nor fathom a generation obsessing over something so lame.

Thoughts?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:28 am

I agree with most of that. We need new Clue material. This forum use to be so lively and full of games and excitement, but we all grew up and life got in the way. I know it's awful when reality sinks in but I just wish there was someway the nostalgic feeling of Mrs. Peacock with the Lead Pipe in the Study use to bring us. There just seems to be lack of interest yet in the four years I've been here I found that you forum members were more of a family to me than my own family is.

I miss the games, projects, and heart that this forum once had.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:28 am

We've got to give the site an utter reboot! How?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:45 am

Well, in terms of the site, a redesign is sort of in the works, but my life is CRAZY right now....

As for the forums, I think that if the reinvention game were more popular, it would draw in more people. But there's nothing about it that really captures the imagination.

People come and people go. It's like remembering one's youth nostalgically. But to the new people that will eventually come, it'll all be fresh and new.

I got the family game night PS3 game for christmas and I see that you can play online with other people, but I haven't tried that yet. It would be neat if we could all play a game in real time with each other.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Michael wrote:I got the family game night PS3 game for christmas and I see that you can play online with other people, but I haven't tried that yet. It would be neat if we could all play a game in real time with each other.
But it's the reinvention!! Not that I wouldn't love to play a game with u guys, but I just don't know if I could look at both the reinvention game design, those awful avatars and the disco pool room any longer than it took me to look at the screenshots I've seen online - http://www.cluedo.us/digital-games/03/2 ... 3-clue.htm - Its god-awful!! Bad enough it's the reinvention, but its like they didn't give a dam when the converted it to a video game. They really botched it when they didn't create a classic mode.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:21 pm

And remember that it doesn't play like Clue anyway. It's a bunch of little mini-games.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 am

You're right. I played it more this weekend and it was HORRIBLE. For some reason, I thought there was a Classic play mode, but there isn't. WHAT THE *beep* IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Part of the reason why I left was because this place is so dead. When I joined another forum I was surprised, it's bam bam bam, so many replies. Posts at the bottom of the index are from a few hours ago, not a few months ago. It's almost sad, in a way.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 pm

So what would you recommend?

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Michael wrote:So what would you recommend?
The new game is too crappy, yes, no new people are coming in. Perhaps encourage the old classic people to come back via email? Worked on the other boards

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm

It used to be that I would troll around other sites and message boards and spread word about the site to drum up new visitors. Perhaps I should give that another go to bring in some fresh blood.

But honestly, I was thinking about some of the other forums I'm a member of and I tend to enjoy the smaller ones the best where I really get to know the members.

I guess it wouldn't hurt either if I uploaded some of my new material. I've got a few pieces that might spark a bit of discussion... :)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Ohhh....do tell. :twisted:

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 pm

It almost seems like the forum is one big murder mystery... one by one we each vanish... 8)

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Heh... by that logic, you guys have probably looked for my body a couple of times...
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!