The Excelsior

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:40 pm

Cheryl stared ahead with her mouth open for a few seconds before gasping. "Murdered! Wha...Why, I don't..."

Nan placed a hand on her mother's arm-a clear signal that meant 'shut up.' Yet, Nan herself was clearly bothered by the announcement; her breathing had become heavier, and she was fidgeting. However, her face remained hard as she stared intently at her uncle. Something about the whole thing disgusted her. The high and mighty way he spoke. Pfft. She'd blurt it out right now. She swore she would if he kept it up.

"Do they...Do they know who did it?" she asked finally, stammering against her will. She'd wanted to the calm one, but that ship was sailing fast.

Dammit...

(Cue Stanford and parlor)
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:58 pm

"Bullshit!" screamed Patricia, jumping up from the couch. "Uncle Stan, why are you telling such blatant lies?!"

Claudio grabbed her by the boa and pushed her back into the compouds of the sofa. He said, notably more calmly, "I am confused, Monsieur Pryce. Please explain all, will you?"

[Cue Stanford or parlour guests]

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

DAY ONE ... Continued

Post by Lord Caspen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:13 pm

June Baxter blanched. She hardly knew what to say. She was taken aback, a little frightened, but somewhere in her gut she was boiling with anger. Just what did Stanford think he was doing?

Vienna and Leverage were trying to talk at the same time. "Now, see here, Dad--" "I cannot believe that even you --" "Now, wait just a minute, Vee --" "I'm leaving. I said I was leaving, and --" "What, now? You're going now?" "Especially now."

Bethany, meanwhile, sat with her mouth slightly open, her gaze darting here and there. "Oh, my God," she said, to no one in particular. "I mean, oh. my. God."

"Nobody is leaving!" Stanford pronounced. "Everyone, sit down and shut up."

The fire popped. Another moment passed, while his guests eyed each other, waited for someone to make a move. Then, gradually, they took their seats.

"You see, Mr LeFevre" Pryce went on, the great patriarch, the powerful financier, the aggrieved widower, "my late wife, Helen, was discovered hanged on 29 September 2001. She'd been despondent for a few weeks, she'd left a note."

Leverage cleared his throat, and then spoke. "A chair was found knocked over underneath her, in her work room, where I found her."

"And it wasn't for weeks, father," Vienna said. "She was ... You ruined her! She was a wreck, and she'd been a wreck for years, Stan, but you couldn't see it. And how could you? You had secretaries and girlfriends and callgirls and flings, like old Aunt Junie over there."

"Enough!" Stanford was pacing now. "That's all in the past. Suffice to say, there was reason to believe she was depressed and might take her life. We all accepted it at the time. Even me."

[cue Parlor]
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:25 pm

"And there's no reason any of us shouldn't have," Vaughn decided suddenly. "This whole charade is nonsense. If you've got something to say, Stanford, spare us all the dramatics and backstory and say it now. Hm? This isn't some mystery novel, and I for one won't sit here while we all glance at each other suspiciously and you pace back and forth like damned Sherlock Holmes!"

After blurting that, he caught his breath and shakily patted himself for something to smoke.

"Dammit. Just dammit."

(Cue parlor)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 am

Stanford's Revelation in the Great Parlour

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am

Carlos was quite distraught with the whole commotion. Stanford looked very mad and whatever it was, he hoped Stan wouldn't take it out on him later.

Mark had been hidden behind the piano, and it was only for the several whiskeys he drank prior to playing that he found the courage to speak up.

"Stan, man, listen," He muttered, "I mean, c'mon, we all knew Helen and what she was like. Maybe you should have paid more attention to her. Christ, did you really think she'd sit back and play the good wife while you boinked every piece of hot bootie you could find?"

The room fell silent. Mark had a real nerve or he was just really drunk.

Finally, Dr. Dragon rose to her feet.

"This is un-fucking-beliavable." She grunted, "Do I really have to stay and listen to this crap?"

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:45 am

Colonel Northover hadn't heard clearly what Stanford had said due to the tufts of cotton wool shoved into his ears. What's he talking about? Wine being nurtured? Sounded good to him!

[Cue parlour guests]

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

DAY ONE ... Continued

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm

Stanford Pryce was drawn up, shoulders back, head high, taut and straining He was breathing hard and red in the face. A bead of sweat ran down the side of his face.

"I suppose I'd better finish, then," he said, but there was an edge in his voice. "One final thing: we have found proof. Helen was murdered. And furthermore, I have reason to believe that someone in this room killed her.

"If you don't want to hear any more from me, you won't. I invite you to stay the rest of this week -- it's all paid for, do what you want. I won't bother any of you, and I ask that you not speak to me unless you are prepared to talk about this."

He coughed. And coughed again. He turned to face the fire and put his hand on the mantel and coughed and coughed again. He wheezed. The room began to swim and he had to shake his head to clear it. At last, he found it in him to stand upright again and he faced the room.

"Excuse me. I wish you all a good night."

And then he strode out to the lobby and was gone.

In his wake, Vienna Pryce looked at the mantel clock and shook her head. "Looks like I'll have to take a room now, dammit."

[cue Parlor]
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm

"Shouldn't someone go after him?" Patricia asked, head askew over the sofa top, watching her uncle leave. "He doesn't look at all well. You go, Lev, he likes you, he'll talk to you."

"Perhaps it'd be best if he was left alone, Pat," Claudio responded.

"Well we can't just leave him! What do we do?"

[Cue Lev or other parlour guests]

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

DAY ONE ... Continued

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Adam106 wrote:"Shouldn't someone go after him?" Patricia asked, head askew over the sofa top, watching her uncle leave. "He doesn't look at all well. You go, Lev, he likes you, he'll talk to you."

"Perhaps it'd be best if he was left alone, Pat," Claudio responded.

"Well we can't just leave him! What do we do?"

Leverage stood. He said quietly, "He's never liked anyone, Patricia." Then he went out of the room, calling, "Dad! Hold on a minute ..."

His wife watched him go, then sighed. "Anyone want to go up to the lounge for a drink? Before dinner? Cheryl? June? Nan? A good belt of vodka after the interrogation?"

[cue Parlor]

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Mark rose to his feet.

"I'll come!" He blurted, "If you like Leverage."

What was that saying? Oh yeah, keep friends close and smug, self-centered sycophants closer.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

DAY ONE ... Continued

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:50 pm

CluedoKid wrote:Mark rose to his feet.

"I'll come!" He blurted, "If you like Leverage."

What was that saying? Oh yeah, keep friends close and smug, self-centered sycophants closer.

"He's not here, Mark," Vienna said. "Besides, it's probably not the best time." She stubbed out her cigarette, and started gathering her things. "Excuse me, Beth, I think I've had about as much of this as I can take for one night. You all go on ahead. I'll just see that Mark here gets to his room. Do you have your key, Mark?"

She stood and went to his side, putting a hand on his forearm.

[cue Mark and the parlor]

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Turnbull was seated, still in shock about all that had happened. He hadn't commented during the singing (which he felt was not particularly well-performed) since he didn't want to offend Mr. Pryce. After all, Mr. Pryce was the one that invited Carlos to be the entertainment (though after his outburst, Turnbull wasn't quite sure if Mr. Pryce cared whether or not anyone else was entertained by Carlos - though he would certainly never tell Mr. Pryce that).

But after his employer's announcement, he was shocked. He had not had any idea that there was any sort of investigation into Mrs. Pryce's death! And to think that it was murder...

This raised an interesting question, though: how did he not know of the investigation? He was privy in a lot of Mr. Pryce's dealings in multpile levels of secrecy, and yet Mr. Pryce did not trust him with this? He didn't know what to make of this. Did Mr. Pryce have some reason for keeping this from him? Did... did Mr. Pryce suspect him?

Regardless, why wasn't he getting up to see if Mr. Pryce was all right? That coughing at the end didn't seem like it was something to be ignored. And whatever Mr. Pryce's actions, he was Turnbull's employer. So Turnbull stood and, without a word, left after Mr. Pryce and Leverage.
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:37 pm

A thoroughly confused Colonel Northover finally took out the pieces of wool from his ears. What was wrong with Stanford? He seemed most upset, yes, most upset. Itching his beard, he asked, "What's going on? Is something the matter with Stanford?"

He saw Leverage and Turnbull speed after him, noticing the glitzy socialite (Patricia, was it?) going into hysterics with that foreign lover of her's.

"Deary me! What a palava!" He got up and took a drag from his flask, which in turn, was actually empty. He scoffed. "I may head over to the bar with you, Bethany. I could definitely use a drink!"

He began to walk halfway across the room. Maybe she can tell me what's gone off whilst were at it. Hmph.

[Cue Bethany or parlour guests]

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

DAY ONE ... Continued

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 pm

CMustardwPipeinLibrary wrote: Regardless, why wasn't he getting up to see if Mr. Pryce was all right? That coughing at the end didn't seem like it was something to be ignored. And whatever Mr. Pryce's actions, he was Turnbull's employer. So Turnbull stood and, without a word, left after Mr. Pryce and Leverage.
He caught up with the Pryces on the back porch, overlooking the lake. They were in the midst of some discussion.

"Why didn't you tell someone, Dad? I mean before tonight."

"Afraid for your image, Lev? Don't worry, I don't plan on going public. Yet."

Leverage started. "Public? Jesus, you're priceless. You just ... Did you ever think of Mom at all, before this? Before you had something to gain out of it?"

"Or maybe you have something to hide, Lev?"

Stanford Pryce wasn't looking at his son. He was leaning against the rail, looking over the surface of the lake, shutting his eyes to the sun.

But at this, Leverage could only laugh. "You're pathetic. Devil of Wall Street."

"Go away, Lev. Just go to your room, go to dinner, but leave me alone."

"This is just guilt. Over how you treated mom. How you ran your business. Riding roughshod over your business partners, like Uncle Mark --"

"Mark?" Stanford snorted. "That shows what you know about Mark Triplett."

"What do you mean? You used to say he was dangerous --"

"-- as a pistachio, yes. But I was wrong, Lev. Stay away from him. That's my only advice. Keep a healthy distance between him and you, and my daughter-in-law, and my grandkids. Now, leave me be."

Leverage stared at the old man, biting his lip. Out on the lake, a family hooted with laughter, good-natured shouts as their canoe capsized and spilled everyone into the water.

"Yeah," Lev said.

And he stalked back into the hotel, without a word to Turnbull.

[cue Turnbull and the Excelsior]

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:12 pm

"Drinks? Yes, drinks. This whole...thing, it's nightmarish," Cheryl moaned. She had started crying at some point and was wiping away the forming tears. "Everyone here loved Helen! At least I did...Why would anyone want to do something so...awful! It can't be true. It just can't! Vodka! I need vodka. Bethany!"

"Calm down, ma," Nan sighed. She too was clearly upset, but making quite the effort not to show it. "I'm going for a walk."

Vaughn was showing very little emotion at this point. He had been shaken, shaken to anger, but it had dulled. Now, he was simply numb.

"Do you mind if I come along, Miss Nan?" he piped in, startling himself in the process.

"I mind," Nan said flatly, walking toward the door. After asking around the staff to find where the three men had gone, she made her way to the back porch-brushing past Leverage with a glance. He'd probably try to bring her back to the group. Either way, she couldn't bear to confront him. So, she stood there in the hall.

(Cue Leverage, Stanford, Turnbull, Bethany, and others)

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

TIMELINE

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:50 pm

[OOC: Tomorrow morning, I think I'd like to move past dinner; I'll post a summary describing dinner in retrospect, and then guests will be free to move around and do what they like in the final hours of the day. I'll try to PM you each some suggestions on this. Then later, sometime on Sunday morning, we will get the end of Day One. I'll post again, this time to indicate the evening winding down in general, and I would like everyone to make a final post for each character. It will help the mystery aspect if those final posts split the characters up so that everyone is by him or herself for an hour or so ... :twisted: ]

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:36 pm

PeachFreak wrote: "Drinks? Yes, drinks. This whole...thing, it's nightmarish," Cheryl moaned. She had started crying at some point and was wiping away the forming tears. "Everyone here loved Helen! At least I did...Why would anyone want to do something so...awful! It can't be true. It just can't! Vodka! I need vodka. Bethany!"

"Calm down, ma," Nan sighed. She too was clearly upset, but making quite the effort not to show it. "I'm going for a walk."

Vaughn was showing very little emotion at this point. He had been shaken, shaken to anger, but it had dulled. Now, he was simply numb.

"Do you mind if I come along, Miss Nan?" he piped in, startling himself in the process.

"I mind," Nan said flatly, walking toward the door.

"Excuse us, folks," Vee said, and took a tottering Mark Triplett into the lobby. She found Lukas van der Merwe at his counter.

"A room, please. My father is Stanford Pryce and he probably had a room set aside for me already."

Lukas did not glance at his computer.

"Yes, Miss Pryce."

"Of course. How thoughtful. Um. Could you please get a bellman or someone to take Mr Triplett here to his room?"

"Oh ... er, yes, Miss, of course."

He summoned a large man in a blue jacket, who put a powerful arm around Mark. "Come with me, sir."

"And for you, Miss Pryce, we have Suite 413."

"Just give me the key."

[cue lobby and Excelsior]

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

DAY ONE ... Continued

Post by Lord Caspen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Meanwhile, a cadre of Stanford's guests, with Bethany leading Cheryl at the head of the pack, rode one of the elevators to the eleventh floor. The elevators had last been updated in the 1919 renovation, great gilded things staffed with chipper operators in black livery.

"Bar," said Bethany.

The lounge had leather booths and silk tablecloths and a lot of dark oak. The group settled into one of the booths nearest the bar.

"So, Cheryl," Beth said, without preamble, "you've got to tell me about Helen. You knew her, right? I only knew her for a few years. How did such a sweet person ever get with Stanford Pryce of all people?"

[cue Cheryl and any other guests who've joined them]

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:02 pm

Diane snickered.

"Yeah, I'd like to know too."

(Cue bar lounge)