"Nadia Van der Merwe in Colour"

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

"Nadia Van der Merwe in Colour"

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat May 22, 2010 5:47 pm

I can't make a topic every time I have a new art piece done, so I've decided to open up one big topic. Here you can see my pastel drawing series, focusing on Nadia van der Merwe, a gorgeous South African model for whom I have a soft spot - not that I have a crush on her or anything! but. This series is, like I say, probably the result of a cross between boredom, a pinch of madness, and a state of over-abundant testosterone (a good or bad thing?).

Click the thumbnails to see the actual works!

---

Nadia Van der Merwe was the cover girl for the May 2007 issue of the PC Format magazine. She said on her blog that she was honoured to be on the cover of such a well known publication. Anyway I composed a transcription of it, and this was the result.

Annotations:
  • 1. The letters 'PCF Image' were the actual colours of the logo in that issue; I just put it there for fun.
    2. That gold smudge across her head was meant to be a jewelled headband - but I made a bit of a mess when I coloured it. However...
    3. The light streak down the right side of her hair refers to same place of the lighting in the actual photoshoot.
    4. It's a little smudged on a few edges, but it looks better in a few places.
    5. The paper's a little grey since, if I put it in the scanner as normal, it'd be too bright to look proper.
---

Nadia was one of the twelve girls appearing in a pull-out calendar in association with Divestyle Magazine and Cressi, suppliers of professional diving equipment to South Africa and custom-made wetsuits. So here she is again, alluring as ever - or the closest I'll get to that.

Annotations:
  • 1. It came out a bit grainy, I didn't realise til then that's how my scanner does it.
    2. I haven't completely managed to make the colour look seamless... but.
    3. I'm not sure about how the face turned out... I wasn't really going for such a 'weirded-out' expression.
    4. It's smudged beyond the actual scene - but it suffices.
---

This is a transcription of one of a line of photographs taken by freelance photographer Seagram Pearce.

Annotations:
  • 1. The face finished up a little funny.
    2. Apart from that it seems to be an improvement.
    3. The light streak on her right refers to the lighting in the actual photoshoot.
---

A shot of her in some lingerie this time.

Annotations:
  • 1. It's a little smudged - I didn't realise I made that mistake til it was too late.
    2. Not sure what that little thing on the bottom left is, but I put it there since it was in the photo.
    3. That's not sand she's lying on; it's supposed to be some fur, but I guess I didn't sketch that well enough.
---

From the business card for the FHM Homegrown Honey 2008 competition.

Annotations:
  • 1. I dunno.. I mean, I don't think she can look less like Nadia if I tried..
    2. The lines around her was there on the photo on the card.
---

This time, I've finally got it right! It is from some editorial, but I don't know which one, really. So I just put 'Editorial' as the title. Anyway, this one is one of the most accurate I've made so far, with only a few small mistakes.

Annotations:
  • 1. That smudge at the bottom, it's because occasionally, one of my pastels scrapes and leaves a nasty mark there, so I had to cover it up the best I could.
    2. I'm not sure if she's lying against a wall or the ground, but anyway it shouldn't be so yellow really.. but it suffices.
---

A previously unpublished piece. It's a transcription of one of the desktop wallpapers you get from the website.

Annotations:
  • 1. I'm pleased about the shading!
    2. It came out a bit grainy; that's why I didn't publish it before. I didn't realise til I did the Cressi piece that it's how my scanner does it and I don't know how to change it.
    3. The sky's a bit of a scribble! Ooops!
---

On a final note, if this is too racy for TAOM, feel free to lock or delete. I'm not sure if it is, but it's not my call.
Last edited by WarnerPlum on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat May 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Well, well. You have a talent Mr. Big Artiste!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:16 am

Kinda stalker-ish to focus on some obscure model. But far better artwork than I can do :lol:

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun May 23, 2010 7:13 am

Nah, I do other people as well too. Come to that, I might have to open up another topic for the rest of them...! But hey - some other of her fans might appreciate it...!
~ Blackmail!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun May 23, 2010 11:48 am

This time, I've finally got it right!

It is from some editorial, but I don't know which one, really. So I just put 'Editorial' as the title. Anyway, this one is one of the most accurate I've made so far, with only a few small mistakes.

Annotations:
  • 1. That smudge at the bottom, it's because occasionally, one of my pastels scrapes and leaves a nasty mark there, so I had to cover it up the best I could.
    2. I'm not sure if she's lying against a wall or the ground, but anyway it shouldn't be so yellow really.. but it suffices.
~ Blackmail!