Play: The Slasher Game- Pumpkinface

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Play: The Slasher Game- Pumpkinface

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 pm

I've decided to try this as a bit of a test. It's an adapted version of "Slasher-The Final Cut" - a card name which pokes fun at the psycho killer horror genre. The game's great for roleplaying and supports 3-6 victims/ suspects. Plus, it has a bit of a skewed whodunnit element. So any takers? Rules will follow.

You and five of your friends have been invited for a totally rad weekend at the house of your pal, Jamie Lee Strode. Jamie's the richest kid you know, so it'll be a great weekend. However....Jamie soon goes missing and a deranged killer known as Pumpkinface begins to prowl the house. Could it be Jamie....or one of your friends....or even you?

The Killer

The "Innocent" Victims

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

The Board

"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:19 am

Sounds pretty interesting, but I'd rather see the rules before I make a commitment.
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:30 am

CMustardwPipeinLibrary wrote:Sounds pretty interesting, but I'd rather see the rules before I make a commitment.
Me too...

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:42 am

And me. Hey, isn't that Joey that fellow from 'The Outsiders'?!!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:52 am

Well if no one is picking yet, I'll start.

My hairdresser's name is Donna, so I'll be her.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:45 am

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Really love the killer.

I'll take Debbie. She looks like the bitch of the group and I always love the bitches in slashers lol.
Last edited by Adam106 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:48 am

edit

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:47 am

TheBilliardRoom wrote:
CMustardwPipeinLibrary wrote:Sounds pretty interesting, but I'd rather see the rules before I make a commitment.
Me too...
Actually, since I'll end up wanting to play regardless of the rules, I might as well choose a character now. I'll take Chuck. :)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:37 am

Richie is cute! I guess I'll take him.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:09 pm

When you’re running through a dark cellar, with a psychotic killer trying to drive a knife into you….do you ever get the feeling you’re in a movie? That’s because you probably are.

Casting and Location

Each player will choose one of the six victims (silly, horrny teenager) to represent them. Every victim will begin the game in one of the five rooms inside the house. The Slasher will begin the game outside.

Each player will be dealt seven cards with which to alter the plotline, and a random playing order will be chosen. The game is afoot.

On Your Turn

Your turn is divided into three parts:
1. The Action Phase
2. The Plot-Twist Phase
3. The Card Replacement Phase

The Action Phase

During the Action Phase, the active player may play a scene card, discard up to two cards from his hand, or pass. Scene cards establish the main event of the plot that will follow. A player may not discard and play a scene card during the same action phase.

Scene cards are always played on a target. Permissible targets (Slasher, Victim, or Player) or noted on the card. Player cards, in some cases, may not appear to be any different than a Victim card. They target the Victim a certain player is controlling. However, they may also target actual players. Further distinction will be made later.

Scene cards can be altered during the Plot-Twist Phase.

The Plot-Twist Phase

Plot-Twists can modify the current event in some manner. Whenever a scene card is played, a plot-twist phase immediately follows. In reverse order, each person is given the opportunity to play a Plot-Twist, ending the round with the player of the original scene card. No cards take effect until the end of the round.

When playing a plot-twist, you may have to announce whom you’re playing it on.With the exception of a few specially marked cards, a player may only play one plot-twist per round.

Certain cards may “Negate� or “Stop� other cards. If a card is negated, it is discarded. If it is stopped, the person who played takes it back into his hand.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Card Replacement Phase

During this phase, the active player restores his hand. If he played a scene card, he may draw up to two cards. If he passed or discarded, he may draw up to three cards. A player must always have seven cards and may not draw more.

Players who have lost a turn due to a card effect may not draw any cards.

Card Play

Movement- A victim or Slasher moves from one room to another. Movement can occur from a non-primary effect of a card (See “Drawn In� below) or from a room card. Victims or Slashers will move to the listed room. However, the Slasher may also move out of the listed room to a room of the player’s choice. He may not move Outside.

A player may only play movement cards on his own victim or on a NON-PLAYER SLASHER.

If the Slasher is under a player’s control, only he may move him with room cards.

Outside and Escape- The deck has one “escape� card, allowing the selected target to move outside. The player has escaped the madness of the mansion…for now. While Outside, a victim cannot be targeted by scene or plot twist cards. However, at this point and only at this point, all players may target the victim with room cards in order to get him back into the house. At no other time may you move a victim that is not yours with a room card.

Combat- Combat occurs between Victims and the Slasher. Victims may not attack one another. Combat occurs through “Attack� cards, labeled with a weapon. The Weapons are merely for role-playing sake, as each Attack card delivers one hit.

Victims MAY NOT attack the Slasher until they know who he is. An unidentified Slasher is invulnerable. The identity of the slasher may change several times throughout the game, and may not be truly known until the final heart-racing climax.

Anyone may make the slasher attack while he is a NON-PLAYER SLASHER. When he is player-controlled, only his controller may make him attack.

In order for an attack to work, the two parties must be in the same room. The Slasher may only attack a Victim in his room, and vice versa.

If a Victim receives four hits, he or she has been killed. If the Slasher receives five hits, he or she is dead and the movie ends.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Investigation- Of course, the hapless victims get the hit that a killer walks among them and investigate. The killer could be any of the six victims, or in certain circumstances, Jamie. At the start of the game, the Slasher is assumed to be Jamie, and thus a NON-PLAYER SLASHER.

To find out whodunit, Clues must be collected via cards. Clue Cards must be played on a target. Once a person has collected 3 clues, he is deemed to be Pumpkinface and that player assumes control of the Slasher. This will be expanded upon later.

Control of the slasher may switch from one player to another as victims acquire Clues. At any moment, the Victim with the most clues in excess of 3 controls the Slasher. If there is a tie, the Slasher reverts back to a NON-PLAYER SLASHER.

There are only 24 Clues in the house. If a stalemate situation occurs in which nobody can have more clues than any other, Jamie is deemed the Slasher. He plays like a NON-PLAYER SLASHER, but may be attacked as if he were player controlled.

Targets- There are three possible targets (Victim, Slasher, or Player). A card may be able to target more than one type of target. A “Victim� is any living victim. A “Slasher� may be a NON-PLAYER SLASHER or the player-slasher, with certain restrictions. A “Player� may be targeted at anyone.

Another Target- Some cards affect “Another Target.� This second target must be of the same type as the first. The card player designates the first target; that player then chooses who will be the second target. (may not be the original card player)

Drawn In- Cards with a black arrow on them draw characters into a room as a non-primary effect. This allows a tricky way of moving characters around the board.

If movement is stopped by a Plot-Twist such as “Locked Door,� then the main effect of the card does not apply either. The target must move, otherwise the card is null.

Delayed Play- These sneaky cards are marked with a red octagon. They may be held until the end of a Plot-Twist phase and then played.

Thus, a player may play more than 1 plot-twist that round, or even pass and then play a Delayed Play card at the end of the round.

Additional Card- If a card is marked by a red +, it may be played with additional card. For this game, it will only occur with “Bizarre Event.�

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Impossible Acts

Even Slasher flicks have some sense of reality. You may not make something impossible occur. Thus, an attacker may not be forced to attack himself. Likewise a “Brash Hero� card cannot be played on a Victim attacking the Slasher, as it would force poor Debbie to jump in front of her own attack.

Who is the Slasher?

Once a victim has 3 clues, the game shifts into Act 2.

A NON-PLAYER SLASHER has the following restrictions:

1. Anyone may move him via room cards.
2. Anyone may make him attack.
3. Nobody may attack the Slasher
4. “Dead� Players may continue to play scene cards on behalf of the Slasher. (Movement or Attacking)

A Player-controlled Slasher
1. Only the player controlling the Slasher may move him.
2. Only the player controlling the Slasher may make him attack.
3. The Slasher may now be attacked via Attack Cards.
4. If a victim has died, he or she may still use plot twists to help or hinder the Slasher.

Shifting between Acts

Once somebody has 3 clues, his victim token is removed from the board. He is presumed to be the Slasher. His player will control the Slasher and attempt to kill the others.

However, because Clue cards target “Players,� Clues may still be removed from the Slasher/Ex-Victim, and turn him back into a regular ol’ Victim. All damage the Slasher retains while player controlled remains. Victims keep the same number of damage when switching to Slasher and back again.

Clues may still be removed from and played on dead victims. Therefore, a “dead� victim may very well be the Slasher, and thus, faked their own death.

When You’re Dead

1. Play Plot Twists
2. Play scene cards that target “Players�
3. Play Movement and Attack cards for a NON-PLAYER SLASHER, including the scenario in which Jamie is the killer.
4. Discard cards in the action phase
5. Draw new Cards
6. If you get enough clues, you can return as the Slasher.

Ending the Game

The Slasher Wins: The Slasher wins by killing the final living Victim. If it is a NON-PLAYER SLASHER who kills everyone, nobody wins. However, with a few lucky plot twists, one can become the Slasher literally in the last second, and thus achieve victory.

A Victim Wins: A Victim wins by delivering the killing blow to the Slasher.
Alternatively, if a person is the sole living Victim in the house, he or she may use the
Escape card to flee. This also results in a victory, and leaves the door open for a sequel,
in which you will be killed in the first ten minutes. Congrats!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Sounds like a game I'd play! Can I play Joey?
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:05 pm

PeachFreak wrote:This also results in a victory, and leaves the door open for a sequel,
in which you will be killed in the first ten minutes. Congrats!
LMAO! :lol:

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Starring

Black as Donna
Adam106 as Debbie
TheBilliardRoom as Chuck
cacums as Richie
WarnerPlum as Joey
tyob123 as Tina

Tina is still open for a player. Otherwise, she will be killed in the "opening."
Last edited by PeachFreak on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyob123
Gumshoe

Post by tyob123 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:40 pm

ill be tina even tho im a guy
Flames on the side of my face!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:34 pm

Well, the two other girls are being portrayed by male members too. Anyway, another rule I feel I should clarify: Anyone may play plot twists on behalf of anyone at any point. Therefore, anyone can make the Slasher or another victim "Defend" or "Run Away" if they so choose. This includes a Player-Slasher

Anyway, this is the playing order:

Debbie
Chuck
Joey
Richie
Tina
Donna

I will begin dealing cards now, and then post the board for Debbie's first turn. However, I would like to give each person an oppurtunity to post an intro to further the story. The intro should go from the character's arrival up until Jamie's disappearance.

Debbie, please post your intro.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:41 am

A taxi casually braked infront of a large, rather impressive, house. Debbie jumped out of the taxi and slung her handbag over her shoulder. She gave the driver some money through his window and said "Thanks." The taxi drove off.

Debbie sighed. Well, here she was. At that strange Jamie Strode's house. To be perfectly honest, she never did like her. Jamie was too eccentric, too politically correct, for Debbie's rebellious liking. Still, this was an opportunity for a really fun party, with lots of booze, drugs and guys. She wasn't about to pass on something like that. She hoped that the incredibly hot Joey would be there. She had a strong craving for bad boys with attitude. Stroking her long, luscious brunette hair behind her ear, she marvelled at the surrounding woodland. Completely deserted. No chance for any cops or moaning oldies ruining the fun then.

Debbie walked up the house, her groovy heels crunching against the crisp Autumn leaves. She quickly scurried up the entrance steps, painted whole white, and rapped her manicured hands upon the door knocker.

It swiftly opened, and there stood Laurie, as pathetic as ever.

"Hi, gorgeous!" Debbie greeted with the biggest false smile imaginable.

"Hey!" Laurie replied.

The two shared and awkward hug.

"Thanks for inviting me to this thing, I'm so psyched," exclaimed Debbie.

"Oh, no problem. Say, you're the first to arrive, would you like to come and help set up a few last minute measures? I wanna make sure there's plenty of popcorn bowls in the living room."

Debbie protruded a cigarette from her handbag and a lit it, much to Laurie's surprise.

"You don't mind if I smoke in your house, do you?" she asked with a smirk before taking a deep drag.

"No. It's alright. I'm sure you're not going to be the only one."

Debbie immediately thought of Joey. "Oh, I bet. You want one?"

"No, thanks."

"Go on! Liven up a little. You'll never get laid with that kind of nerdy attitude." Debbie didn't know why she was helping this girl. She supposed she needed to offer something in return for an invitation to the weekend party.

"For your information, I've already done it."

"What? No way! Who was it? Eh, who was the lucky guy?"

"Sorry. I don't do and tell. But I will tell you that he's one of the guys staying over this weekend."

"Cool. Listen, do you mind if I go and put my stuff up into my room first? And then I'll help you with the last minute stuff."

"Sure. Choose any of the six guest rooms you want," Lauried smiled.

Debbie smiled back and then scooted off upstairs.

[Cue Chuck/TheBilliardRoom]

TheBilliardRoom
Detective

Post by TheBilliardRoom » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 am

Chuck had never seen Jamie’s house before. Now that he was standing in the front yard, staring up at the imposing mansion, he reflected that it looked like something out of a horror movie. A chilling metaphor, yes; but it was surely an appropriate one. Stark trees and angry grey clouds made a fitting backdrop to the house.

Autumn leaves scraped across the flagstone path as the brisk winds whipped across the ground. Chuck hurried towards the front door, almost tripping over more than once on the uneven tiles. Reaching the front door, he reached out to take the door knocker. It detached itself from the door and fell to the ground. He shrugged and pushed the door open, stepping into the front hall.

There was no one there. It was almost as if someone hated writing dialogue and had conveniently made the room temporarily empty... Chuck dismissed the disturbing thought as he ventured off in search of signs of inhabitancy.

The door slammed shut behind him. He quickly spun around, but the room was still deserted. Or so he thought...

A piece of paper fluttered to the floor in front of him.

"I had to leave for some last-minute things," he read aloud from the paper. "Make yourself at home, the guest rooms are upstairs. I'll be back soon. Jamie." He placed the note on a nearby table. "I hope they've got beer," he muttered to himself.

[Cue Joey/WarnerPlum]