The Art of Murder's Parade of Homes II

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

The Art of Murder's Parade of Homes II

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm

I know this was done before by another member (Jay Beeskow, I think), but it's been a few years and seeing Michael's pictures of his apartment got me thinking we should do it again. Also, I'm trying to find a sublease for my apartment for the summer, so if any of you are looking to summer in beautiful and not humid at all Tallahassee, please, PM me. (Kidding, of course). Also, sorry about the poor picture quality. I don't have a legit camera and to take these with my digital video camera.

This is my living room. I got the couch from a thrift store and the loveseat from a garage sale. Since they're hideous, I got slipcovers for them and now they match...sort of. Different shapes, as my parents pointed out, but whatever. I'm in college. I can have couches that don't actually go together. Also, wouldn't recommend slip covers. They are such a pain to fix all the time.

These had a lot more DVDs on them, but I'm only here for about 6 more weeks, so I've already started packing up.

This is the dining room. This room is all my roommate. She bought the table. I think I've eaten there maybe a dozen times in the two years I've lived here.

The posters are mine though.

Our teeny tiny kitchen. We both can't be in there at the same time. Not a lot of room.

My bathroom. She has one in her bedroom, but mine is right outside my room.

My bedroom. Very plain, I'll admit. I never really found a way to decorate it that I loved. I just wanted something different from the rest of the apartment. Also, I hate painting, although that probably would have helped dramatically. It's very white and dull.

And you can see some pictures of me in that big collage. And by some I mean to say that I am in every one.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:52 pm

I LOVE snooping around other peoples pads. it's neat to see how other people live.

I like all your wall art, Niteshade. I'm a big fan of them myself, though it took Tum a long time to warm up to not having stark walls. But a fuzzy toilet seat cover, Niteshade? Really?!?

As I pointed out in my remodel thread, my pics are here: http://www.66RomaineAve.com My apartment is over 100 years old, so it's crappy and small, but it's so easy to get into NYC where I work from here. Also, notice you can't see any of my Clue collection... Our study room used to have the entire back wall displaying most everything. And my hall was lined with shelves. But it was much too cluttered. Can't have that when selling...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Here are some neighbourhood hot-spots...

Our homestead. That sign embedded in the garden signifies that the garden is a native habitat garden that encourages Canadian wildlife.

Jane St.

(What were once) Gates to the Church.

Humbercrest Church. I sing in the choir there.

I've also worked...

here:

and here:

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 am

Michael wrote:I LOVE snooping around other peoples pads. it's neat to see how other people live.

I like all your wall art, Niteshade. I'm a big fan of them myself, though it took Tum a long time to warm up to not having stark walls. But a fuzzy toilet seat cover, Niteshade? Really?!?

As I pointed out in my remodel thread, my pics are here: http://www.66RomaineAve.com My apartment is over 100 years old, so it's crappy and small, but it's so easy to get into NYC where I work from here. Also, notice you can't see any of my Clue collection... Our study room used to have the entire back wall displaying most everything. And my hall was lined with shelves. But it was much too cluttered. Can't have that when selling...
Thanks! And yeah, I have a fuzzy toilet seat cover. I am unashamed lol. Actually, my first on-campus apartment didn't have one and my bathroom felt so naked without it. It just felt stark and cold. No idea why it made such a difference to me. They're tacky, but whatever. Everyone I know has them, so I'm okay with it.

I forgot to point out my favorite things too. In the second picture there is a movie theater chair that I got for free. I think it's pretty much the coolest thing anyone could have in their living room. I love it. And I love the poster above it, although it needs a better frame. Also in the second dining room picture you can see an old fashioned gumball machine (empty, unfortunately) next to the front door. I love that thing as well. And again, free.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:06 pm

First day on the market and we had three showings already and one near full-price offer. I'm hoping for multiple bidders.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:03 pm

I love talking about houses. More people need to post!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but Tum and I are looking to buy a house in the Atlanta area.

The first house we bid on had multiple bidders and we didn't end up getting it. It's a shame, because that was at the beginning of our search and I didn't realize how hard it would be to find a good house. We were only outbid by $25k and now I would have gladly paid more than that. This house was a definite fixer upper but had an amazing view of a lake and a pool.

http://www.redfin.com/GA/Marietta/3300- ... e/25281475

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm

The next house we made an offer on is supremely ugly and a bit small with little to no usable yard, but it's well within our price range. We'd expect to renovate the exterior with an addition to hopefully pretty it up. But this would cost we think about an extra 100k (and the house would still be in our price range):

The house is set back far from the road - unfortunately on a very steep lot - and overlooks a very wide creek that looks like a river. It's beautiful.

This is the view from the creek itself. There are decks off the house that look onto it, but the wooded area behind the house needs a bit of clearing for a really good view. Image

We lowballed the offer because it's been on the market for over 5 months. The owner countered and right now, we're deciding if we want to back out or continue negotiations.
Last edited by Michael on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:31 pm

And the house I REALLY want is a HUGE contemporary. The pictures here just don't do it justice: I fell in love with it the moment I saw it: http://www.movoto.com/real-estate/homes ... 842105.htm

There is a japanese water garden with cascading waterfalls and streams that cover the front, 1 side and back yards. It was amazing.

But the house is about 75k more than anything else in the neighborhood. Our realtor is expecting a price reduction. Unfortunately, we need to buy by April 30th to take advantage of the tax credit and we can't wait too long to see if they lower their price. And the owners are in no hurry to sell.

Home buying sucks.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Some nice homes. The view of the last one from the backyard makes it seem enormous. Contemporary style homes aren't really my thing, though. Having never bought a home, I can't really give any helpful advice. I know my roommate and her fiance are looking at homes back where we're from. They bid on some house that had a pink toilet and bathtub (yeck) that she was dying to have but were outbid. She wanted it because of the pink bathroom. Personally, if you choose a house based on the color of the tub, maybe you aren't ready to marry and buy a house, but maybe I'm being too judgemental.

When I move out of here I'll be moving into another apartment (this time furnished), and I'll have a roommate in my room. Like a college freshman. Not really looking forward to that at 22. But I am excited about meeting new people and making new friends.

And yes, more people should post, I want to see more places.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Here is a better view of the front. The house is around 5000 square feet. It IS enormous. Quite a bit bigger than our 800 square foot condo!
Last edited by Michael on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Niteshade, why do you need a roommate in your room? Where are you planning to live and is it really that bad that you have to resort to sharing a room? I don't think I could handle that.

ETA: do you mean when you graduate and move out or while you're still in school?

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm living on Disney property. I actually started talking to my roommates and they seem pretty chill. The guy I'm sharing a room with seems really cool. Disney makes you share a room.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:45 pm

You're doing the college program? How did I miss that?! I was a CPer... At the Columbia Harbour House. I'm still good friends with a lot of my old co-workers - but none of my roommates. Didn't get along with any of them.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:49 am

I'm working Main Entrance Operations. I guess I didn't post it on here. I'm really looking forward to it. I talked to my roommates online tonight, and they all seem pretty cool.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:12 am

Good for you. I found that it really helped my job search as it always led to a conversation in the interview.

Things seemed to have changed, though, since I was there - geez... 10 years ago?! We didn't know our job positions or get paired up with roommates until we actually got there. It seems they've really improved the system.

What exactly does Main Entrance Operations do?

i assume you'll be living at Vista Way? I lived in unit 1701. Ground floor was good because of access to the washing machines and not having to trudge upstairs after a long day at work. Third floors, though, were nicer with vaulted ceilings and bigger windows - not that that matters much for a short term living arrangement. The units have two bathrooms - one in one of the bedrooms and one for the other two bedrooms to share. Hardly fair for 6 people.

From your pictures, I assume you like your living space neat and clean... 6 guys... small apartment... good luck with that!

The community was very close to downtown disney which was nice - though I guess downtown disney has really gone downhill since I was there. There was a cast shuttle. I wish I had brought a car with me, though. You'll be a lot more popular if you do... :)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 am

As confusing as it looks in this picture, we are not exactly on a corner lot. The road to the right of my house leads to my driveway and out next door neighbor's driveway. making the road a T shape with the top of the T being the driveways. The next neighborhood behind us can be see from that street (we have a privacy fence now). Don't have a decent picture of my backyard though but I drew a little sketch of it--

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:40 am

I like your curved front walkway. It looks so much nicer than the typical straight sidewalks.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Michael wrote:Good for you. I found that it really helped my job search as it always led to a conversation in the interview.

Things seemed to have changed, though, since I was there - geez... 10 years ago?! We didn't know our job positions or get paired up with roommates until we actually got there. It seems they've really improved the system.

What exactly does Main Entrance Operations do?

i assume you'll be living at Vista Way? I lived in unit 1701. Ground floor was good because of access to the washing machines and not having to trudge upstairs after a long day at work. Third floors, though, were nicer with vaulted ceilings and bigger windows - not that that matters much for a short term living arrangement. The units have two bathrooms - one in one of the bedrooms and one for the other two bedrooms to share. Hardly fair for 6 people.

From your pictures, I assume you like your living space neat and clean... 6 guys... small apartment... good luck with that!

The community was very close to downtown disney which was nice - though I guess downtown disney has really gone downhill since I was there. There was a cast shuttle. I wish I had brought a car with me, though. You'll be a lot more popular if you do... :)
Yeah, when they tell you you got the job, they also tell you what you'll be doing, but no specifics or where you'll be working. Main Entrance Operations handles parking, so I could either be in the ticket booth for parking lots (ugh), directing traffic in the parking lots (ugh), driving the tram, giving the tour on the tram, working the turnstyles (which I really hope to do for some reason, I guess because it's in an actual park), and selling tickets for their water parks and Pleasure Island.

And you sign up online to be matched with a roommate. They gave me the name and e-mail of this guy, and through talking with him I found out he wants to live with two other guys in a 4 bedroom apartment in Chatham Court or something, which is the "wellness" one for people under 21. I'm okay with this because even though I like to go out to a bar or something with friends, I rarely buy alcohol to have at home, because I'm much more of a social drinker.

And yeah, I like things clean. Kind of obsessive about it. But it's fine. I've had gross roommates before for longer periods of time, and I'm still really good friends with two of them, so I hope I can manage. And I have a car I'll bring. For some reason I HATE buses. Can't stand them.

But yeah, I'll have to keep you updated on how it goes. Like I said, I'm really looking forward to it. It doesn't start until May and I've already started to pack up my apartment.

And your home looks so nice, cacums. I love the front porch.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Niteshade007 wrote: But yeah, I'll have to keep you updated on how it goes. Like I said, I'm really looking forward to it. It doesn't start until May and I've already started to pack up my apartment.
Yeah... you BETTER not forget about us while you're down there. I need to live vicariously though you! I want to go back! (But then again, maybe I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses... Actually, I HATED working there. But I loved BEING there.)

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Well, after a long week of negotiations, we got the price down $50k and now are officially under contract on the Brookview house above.

Here is a walkthrough video we took on our second viewing. The day we visited, the owners were on vacation and all the water features weren't filled completely nor all working properly - which is a shame because it's what made me immediately fall in love with it the first time I saw it.

To orient you, the video starts at a 5 car parking pad left of the driveway entrance. (The owners apparently entertained a lot... At least according to our realtor shown in the video who happens to live next door.)

http://picasaweb.google.com/tunthatakas ... 5228038242