Top 10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage Is Wrong.

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:55 pm

I meant about the first post.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:09 am

When I first read this, I was deeply hurt and offended, until about midway through. Then I realized it was nothing but a parody.

Depboy
Missing Person

Post by Depboy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:15 am

If you didn't get that this was a joke after reading number 7, then I dunno what to tell you.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:17 am

I thought the first one made it pretty clear it was a joke. If not that, the second one definitely.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:37 am

At first, I thought it was serious, but then I reread it and got the joke.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:42 pm

The title worried me at first...until I actually got around to reading the list. :lol:
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Re: Top 10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage Is Wrong.

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:41 pm

Here are the ones that would hit my arguments for gay marriage on the nail (of course, it's legal in Canada, but the fact that some states in the US still live in the 'wholesome' 1950's worries me):
CluedoKid wrote: 2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:41 pm

Try Idaho. This state is still trying to pretend that it's cowboy land. Ridiculous.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:22 am

So it still can be Brokeback Mountain.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:58 pm

First of all, I'm Catholic, and I don't agree with the idea of gay marriage. I have nothing whatsoever against gay people though.

Second of all, Black, I find it inconceivable that you can't get the joke. It's called sarcasm.

Third of all, this is rather hilarious. :lol:
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:51 pm

No comment

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Besides, Black, why would I want to make 'Brokeback mountain' come true? Doesn't one of them get killed in a bigotry attack? No thank you.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:26 am

I didn't say that (haven't even seen the dam(n) thing) My point was that not all cowboys are gun slingers, knife throwers, drunks.

I was just making a point (even though it was S***)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:02 pm

go_leafs_nation wrote: First of all, I'm Catholic, and I don't agree with the idea of gay marriage. I have nothing whatsoever against gay people though.
First of all, do not take this as a personal attack or flame; you strike me as a nice guy and you are certainley no Emily Brent, but there just appears to be something contradictory about that statement. You have nothing against gay people, but don't agree with gay marriage. Care to elaborate?

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:you strike me as a nice guy and you are certainley no Emily Brent
Is that a phrase anyone uses ever? Is it even a reference your average person would get?

I do agree though, I find it hard for someone to say that they have no problem with gays, but don't think they should be allowed to get married. It's like saying you have no problem with black people, but don't think they should have the same rights as white people.

Having gone to a Catholic high school, I heard a lot of that from my religion teachers. They emphasized that it was okay to be gay, just as long as you didn't act on it. Of course, this leads to some problems. If you are gay, you can never be with someone you love, because that love is "wrong" apparently in the eyes of the Lord. Also, if you are gay and Catholic, you can't...ahem...give yourself a hand...because that is also deemed wrong. So basically, you're fucked. And not in the good way.

But apparently that makes them "tolerant."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm

What I mean by that is, I have nothing against gay people for being who they are. I don't agree with the idea of it though.

Perhaps the one thing I have against gay marriage is the use of the word "marriage". I'm sorry, I guess I'm old-fashioned, but to me, marriage is the union between a man and a woman (it's more than just that, but I'll avoid religious ranting here). Call it anything else, and I'll be O.K. with it being in our Constitution.
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Here in the UK, we have Civil Partnerships. Do you agree with those?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Sure. It's the possibility of forever altering the definition of the term "marriage" that gets me worried.
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:33 pm

Catholic Catechism wrote:"Men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies . . . must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."
~Ellery Queen

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 pm

I would argue that denying them the same rights as other people would fall under "unjust discrimination," but that's just me.