Writer's Discussion

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Wouldn't the killer target the victims carefully? I'd stay stick with the names; if the killer has an obsession, it's far less likely he'll just toss it in the wind.

On another note, my creativity has recently gone wild, as in I am getting too many Clue-esque ideas.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I did work it out, staying with the names. Though, the killer does eventually give up on order.

(After the third death, the fourth victim should be a man named Claudio. The detective recieves a letter threatening his nephew, Claudio. However, as the detective is occupied with protecting him, he learns that meanwhile, a young girl named Daria has been killed, although she should've been the sixth victim.)
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:49 am

Another way to deviate from the order would be a la "A.B.C. Murders"- the killer MEANS to kill X but accidentally kills Y instead.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:01 am

I've stopped getting reviews, fanfiction and original stories. I know I shouldn't write for reviews. I know I should write for the sake of self-expression. Maybe I've just been spoiled, but it's frustrating when an author slaves away at something for the world to see, takes all that time to research how this and that works, goes to great lengths to make sure the characters are in character, and then no one bothers to say anything useful.
What makes me even angrier is that in some stories, when I DO get reviews, instead of in-depth reviews that say "this is what I like" or "this is what I don't like", they just say, "Great chapter! Update soon!" :evil:
So now, I come to you, on my hands and knees: How many of you would like to see an original, non-fanfiction story featuring an obnoxious teenage protagonist growing and maturing as a person?
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:02 am

A deal? I'll read & review your newest if you do likewise for mine?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Sure, but keep in mind I'm a procrastinator.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 am

The hardest part of writing a locked-room mystery (indeed, any mystery), are the CIRCUMSTANCES of the murder, I'd say. You have to figure out what seemed to happen, and exactly happened at the same time. It's probably the most difficult part.
~Ellery Queen

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:52 am

Well I an interesting mystery going for a while (that I'll spoil) it was a book I wrote several months back about an engagement party at a mansion.

The most important scene was:

Miss Lutrell enters the Drawing Room to see her fiancé pour a glass of champagne.

“Celebrating?� she asks

“Always…� he says taking a gulp. He hands it to her.

She sips it and begins kissing him.

“Did I mention Stuart wishes to speak to you again?� William Whyte asks

“Why bother…� Kayna says, “He’s only after this…� she points to her necklace

“Tell him off… you’re a strong woman.� William says

Kayna smiles, “Fine!�

Then later:

The Library is still a dark and warm room… except now there is one thing cold about it… Kayna Lutrell lays motionless on the floor… a syringe in her neck… her necklace is gone…

spoiler in case anyone really wants me to post the book * In the end the fiancé poisoned her drink and took an antidote so that it seemed as if the syringe did the job only because the angry ex-lover and negotiator Stuart would look like the killer when his syringe landed in her skin. By the time the story ends two others die one by stabbed, the other by clawing their thoat at the top of the stairs, causing them to fall.

So that took about five minutes to come up with that confusing murder. We don't find out til near the end that there was not enough poison in the syringe to have killed her.

Anyway, that is my most recent non-clue writing

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Does anyone else on here have a particular character they love to torture the most, conciously or subconciously? Because after discovering the Buttmonkey trope (the character who is either always the butt of the demeaning joke in a comedy, or the star of the put-them-through-h*ll storyline in a drama, or somewhere between the two in a dramedy), and going through my fanfics, it would seem that I subconciously hate Vera judging by the crap I put her through. I don't even MEAN to make bad things happen to her; it just happens to make for a good story!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 am

The one area I'm having difficulty in writing-wise is description. I know I shouldn't go overboard, but I don't want to leave it strictly to the reader's imagination either. Any tips?

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 am

I'm writing a modern adaptation of Macbeth, centered in a sport-obsessed college campus. Macbeth, of course, if a football player hellbent on becoming team captain. (Bear in mind if you're captain, you might as well be God.) Thus, three sisters, psychic Chem majors prone to mixing strange brews in the lab decide to have some fun after having a prophetic dream about Macbeth's rise and downfall. After all, they don't want to warn anybody...they'd happily let all those "jocks" drop dead.

It's kind of a parody of teen movies with Macbeth serving as its backbone. The first chapter's on fanfiction if anybody wants to read it. I warn you. It's cheesy.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 am

Sure, just up the link. :)

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I won't be on the internet much in a few days, so I'm trying to update my stories as quickly as possible before I leave. I have also decided to place some stories in the "fridge"--meaning that I copy and paste these stories in a Microsoft Word document and then delete it off the site. I only do this under two circumstances:
1) I have not updated the story in a long time and I do not feel committed enough to get back to it
2) The story's not turning out as good as I had hoped and I would like to work on it

Also, I hope you got my review, PeachFreak. :wink:

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks. Got it.

Love your stories, especially the Ten Little Tiptons.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Read my works of art, have you? :wink: You can PM me more thoughts on my various stories, if you like.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:23 am

While on vacation, I took a load of journals with me to sketch out basic ideas for future stories I may have (ORIGINAL stories too, at that! :D ). However, I have read them over, and they made me realize something: I have deep-rooted psychological issues with my father.
To clear it up: Roughly 95% of my original characters have a "father issue", ie, their dad left their mom while pregnant due to sheer irresponsibility, dad was married to another woman but stayed in touch with kids via letters, parents just plain divorced etc. (LOTS more examples than that, but I chose the most basic examples off the top of my head) At the time, I just saw more drama potential in it, but now I'm beginning to think I have unresolved issues with my own father, that I somehow think subconciously he abandoned me with his job. Or am I just reading too much into it?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:58 pm

I need to conclude my current fanfics, but I'm having more ideas for my original stories than for my fanfics. I guess this is a good thing as it's a sign my writing skills are on their way to full maturity (I don't think they're completley mature, though), yet I can't stand the idea of leaving my other stories unfinished. I took a bit of a break from writing for the web while on vacation, so I don't know if my brain is still in 'vacation mode' or if I'm just losing interest.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm gonna give writting a stab, not sure weather to do Spy thriller or murder mystery. I've got some books to help me out.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 am

Murder mystery, definately. The only problem I find is to not make them too cliche.