Writer's Discussion

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:55 pm

And speaking of historical research...how soon after Hitler's suicide was it announced to the world?
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:21 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:Whenever I'm writing an ATTWN fanfic (I know the majority of you write Clue stories, but this should be somewhat relatable), the biggest difficulty in writing them is historical research. Obviously, I am not going to give Anthony Marston a cell phone or Vera Claythorne an IPod, but I obsess over the minor details, like whether Marston should wear a black tux or a white tux, and if a knee-length dress for Vera would be too 'provocative' for that time.
Unfortunately, the web does not always help (for that matter, Wikipedia does not always help, either). So I try to look in encyclopedias if I can, but they do not always offer first-hand accounts of these experiences, which, to me, is essential because while creating a good story, I also want to remain as historically accurate as possible so I am spared from merciless flames by history nuts.
Do the minor details matter all that much? To me, they do. Would buying more books on 1930's fashion/hospitals/whatever help that much?
I can relate... I never know if this character is allowed to have this hairstyle and still be fashionable according to the time, etc. I always search fashions of whatever period, for instance. And if I mention an electronic, or an invention, I always look into when and where it was used during that time, and if it even was. For instance, I was writing a short-story whodunit, and a church bell that required manual ringing was key in the solution. I looked into church towers for quite some time before continuing the story.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Do some aspiring writers on here worry if their characters will turn out to be Mary Sues or not, even if their characters are perfectly well-rounded and the author has no reason to worry? Whenever I get the urge to put an OC into my fanfics, I at least try to round them out, even if it's a stock character that only says hi, I try to give them a mini-bakcground. Even if there is nothing wrong with them that would guarentee the dreaded Mary Sue title, I still get worried that one day I will slip up and create a too-perfect character whom the reader cannot identify with on an emotional level.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:54 pm

Even though during hiatuses I feel like nothing is physically being accomplished... normally I accomplish more in my head.....

SpiralHeart
Suspect

Post by SpiralHeart » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 am

Most of the time I can't even get the storys in my head into one I can type up. Lately however I've been trying to write a clue fanfiction and i've run into my main problems i have always ran into and They are- 1) My lack of attention. When I get bored I just kind of leave it. 2)I become so parinoid about my characters turning into Mary-Sues or being out of character that I worry I mught make them one by handing out to many flaws. and 3) I can't really spell very well, and nor do I know Grammer. So if word calls it correct I often go with it till a friend points out it's wrong. Other then that my main issue is i get to caught up in thinkign about what comes next that I can't remember what was supposed to happen now.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 pm

EDIT BECAUSE OF POSSIBLE FUTURE INCONSISTENCY
Last edited by cacums on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 am

I often use the tarot to help me see new ideas and fresh insights. Then again, I also love to go wherever is most expected and do the opposite. Perhaps my style is too drastic and chaotic for most people's tastes.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:12 am

It's weird for me because I get some great ideas formed up in my head, but writing them down into a concrete format is hard. :P :?

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:59 am

Adam106 wrote:It's weird for me because I get some great ideas formed up in my head, but writing them down into a concrete format is hard. :P :?
Don't worry, that's a super-common thing.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 pm

********* Dammit, why does my version of Scarlet have to be such a sIut?! I hope I can fit her into some blackmailing scheme! :twisted: :twisted: ********

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Could anyone tell me up until when was divorce very uncommon and very frowned upon? I want to say the early 70s?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:28 pm

I'm not an expert on divorce, but I THINK around that time, because the 70's was when a lot of things that were once frowned upon became socially acceptable.

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm writing a book. It won't be published, and I don't want it to be, but I'm writing it.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:I'm not an expert on divorce, but I THINK around that time, because the 70's was when a lot of things that were once frowned upon became socially acceptable.
Thanks.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:36 am

It was in part because of the 70's feminist movement (although there have been feminist movements before) that divorce was changed to "No fault." Before that, it was a very bad thing because, firstly, St. Paul forbids it in the bible, as does Jesus, and secondly, because it gave men pretty much everything, including the kids. A woman could only choose to divorce if she were battered (which she had to prove) or if he were cheating on her, (which she also had to prove.)

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:37 am

I see. But annullement was fairly socially acceptable, wasn't it?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Gah! I have writer's block!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:28 pm

I know I shouldn't write JUST for reviews, but I sometimes get a bit down when no one reviews the newest chapter of my story and jump up and down with glee if I get at least a review. Is that so wrong?

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 pm

No, it's not wrong.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:54 pm

At least you get reviews. I don't think I've gotten one.