Writer's Discussion

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cacums
Ringer

Writer's Discussion

Post by cacums » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 am

This is where writers, authors, or simply mini mystery writers can explain their favorite parts about writing, ask for advice, explain how to resolve writer's block, what makes them satisfied with their own work, or things they hate to write about but need to in order to write good books, stories, mysteries, ETC...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOME TCA (The Clue Account) STEPS AND HATES

1. I for one hate writing what happens before someone dies! You can only have a suspect come up to them and shout "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" so many times. I think the motives should be built up halfway through the season...

2. The actually murder can really suck me into the episode and I can sit and write two or three episodes at a time (which I sometimes do and wait a couple days before posting a chapter I've already written)

3. The investigation is always my favorite part of the murder... but only in the beginning stages. Interrogation can reveal a lot but the way to reveal it is another thing. Red Herrings? Not so good with... I try to get everyone and everything involved someway or another... Investigating crime scenes seems a little tough. If you point out that a red scarf is in the corner or a lip stick smudge is on the desk, readers are going to 'notice' it... unlike movies where you have to use your visual observation and try and remember what you saw.

4. Catching the killer or killers is always either too much fun, or not exciting enough. It's hard to make an exciting capture and still try not to loose any cast members... If a gunshot goes off and hits someone it should be someone we care about... probably a main character. This means one out of two things. 1) The will die and be out of the series. 2) They will be in the hospital long enough that they are no longer main characters or have been replaced by someone of greater personality...

5. Planing for the next season should be done in the season the event will take place... I always seem end the investigation too early (even though I've only written a couple season, I've written in the past...) I really think the killer should be caught in the last or second to last episode of that certain season....

6. Planning out season in the future can be challenging but somewhat difficult. Normally finding a way to incorporate people so that they live until necessary to die; someone like **Detective Pine*** Introduced in the 4th Episode, died in the 32nd Episode... or did he...
Last edited by cacums on Wed May 13, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:01 pm

I love to write, but the one thing that gets me everytime is the opening paragraph. :|

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:04 pm

How so?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:07 pm

Well, one of my home teacher's says that the opening paragraph of a story needs to be really interesting, in order for the reader to want to continue on reading. Like just yesterday for instance, I started a new fan-fiction about Halloween, and I was rather disappointed by the outcome of the first chapter. Not just the opening, but mainly the whole block. I still published it on the web, though. I'm kind of a perfectionist. :P

I really want to be a full-time writer when I'm old enough, but I think it's going to be a little difficult. Nethertheless, I shall not give up one of my dreams. :)
Last edited by Adam106 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:12 pm

I want to do writing in some form when I'm older- journalism, books, speechwriting etc. It's always been my dream, and I'm top of my class in English.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:22 pm

Here's a solution mini-story I did on a thread that died down. I'd love to hear your input on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Conservatory was a beautiful room, filled with mezmorising flowers and exotic plants that produced a sweet-smelling aroma that oozed throughout the whole classy place. The plant pots stood boldy, as leaves brushed against the mild air that smoothed itself in through the single open window.

Doctor Black sat impatiently on a double-seated wicker bench, shaking his leg, agitated. Where was she? She said to meet him here at 10:00pm sharp. He furiously lifted up his black sleeve, to reveal his expensive watch that was strapped against his somewhat hairy arm. 10: 07pm. Where on Earth was that stupid girl? Stupid, yet, horrendously beautiful. Oh, God, was she beautiful. She was like the Greek sirens, her voice as seductive and delicious as their's. Her gorgeous, pretty face was almost unreal. Miss Scarlett! Black was getting slightly aroused just thinking about her.

He mildly smiled as she finally entered through the glass paned single door. She smiled back as she slowly closed it. She flicked her thick black locks of hair, seductively. The woman slowly walked up to him in her glamarous cheongsam. Her ruby red heels click-clacked against the cold stone floor as she edged nearer.

"Sakura! Where have you been?" Black asked.

"The ladie's room. I had to look my best for you, Xavier," the sexy Asian woman responded.

"Darling, you look your best twenty-four hours a day."

"Ah, thank you, Xavier," she replied with false modesty. She knew that she was beautiful. She also knew how to use this to her cunning advantage.

She sat next to him, and wrapped one of her silky arms around his broad shoulders. Black shuddered with intense lust. She stroked his face with her dainty, manicured hands.

"I've been waiting for this moment all day," Black confessed.

"Really? So, have I."

Doctor Black couldn't take the sexual tension anymore. He leaned closer to her, puckering up his lips, preparing himself to taste her delicious strawberry lipstick. He was dissapointed, as she got herself up from the bench.

"Where are you going?" the Doctor asked, un-amused.

"I thought you liked to be teased," Scarlett replied in a sultry tone.

"Oh. Go on then."

"Close your eyes, first."

Doctor Black closed his eyes eagerly. Miss Scarlett slowly made her way around the back of the bench. She positioned herself to be straight behind Black. Perfect.

"What are you doing?" Black asked a little giddily, his eyes still naively closed.

"Shhh. It's a surpise."

Suddenly, Scarlett's hand made it's way down her velvety bra. Her hands touched something creepily cold. She smiled as she removed a grimy, yet heavy piece of a lead pipe. Her eyes narrowed as she raised the pipe in the air, directly above Black's head. She hesitated for a moment, before bringing it down, crashing it straight into his skull.

Black screamed in powerful pain. He fell off the bench, and onto the cold, hard floor. Miss Scarlett walked up to him and stared at him. He was dead. Blood pulsated out from his head and onto the ground. Miss Scarlett was breathing heavily. The deed was done. Her boss would be impressed. She might even get that promotion she was so longily after.

After a few more moments of looking at her dead victim, she quickly stuffed the lead pipe that she had deep into the mucky soil of a nearby pot. Then, as quietly and professionally as she could, she pushed in a block on the fountain with her designer heel. The stone made scraping sounds as something happened. A piece of a stone tile, slided to the left, revealing a small wooden door that went downwards.

She crept up to it, and tugged on to black handle. It opened. She was somewhat surprised that it wasn't super stiff. She took one last glance at Black's lifeless corpse, and made her way down the spooky steps, closing the trap door behind her.

Harlequin
Master Detective

Post by Harlequin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:07 pm

Hmmm... There are a couple of punctuation errors, but apart from that it is a good tense murder carrying-out.
A piece of a stone tile, slided to the left, revealing a small wooden door that went downwards.
Should be
A piece of a stone tile slid to the left revealing a small wooden door that went downwards.
yet heavy piece of a lead pipe
yet heavy piece of lead pipe
She might even get that promotion she was so longily after.
She might even get that promotion she was longing after.

Also, you don't need a comma before 'and'.

LOL, I'm a fusspot, but hey, you need to do the best you can if you need to get into newspapers/getting into the publisher's head- making them remember your book for all the good qualities.
'You should never trust strangers, Sammy. This is gonna be fun!'
~ Former Bounty Hunter, now Space Pirate Mistress Gandrayda, Proving Grounds, Urtragia, shortly before termination as a result of Phazon corruption.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:56 pm

Know what's really frustrating? You would think that after seventeen years of living in this world, I would learn how to spell 'definetly' without the help of spell check, but oh no; I keep getting a red underline under 'definetly' and am informed it's 'definitely'. Grr! :evil:
Also, something about writing that drives me crazy: I always (well, not always, but 95% of the time) come up with the ending and middle before the beginning. As a result, I have an absolutely brilliant middle and end, but get stuck when writing the beginning.
One thing that helps me with writer's block when stuck on a chapter is listening to classical music. There's something about it that gets the creative juices flowing.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:Know what's really frustrating? You would think that after seventeen years of living in this world, I would learn how to spell 'definetly' without the help of spell check, but oh no; I keep getting a red underline under 'definetly' and am informed it's 'definitely'.
Definitely is the sole word I always mess up on!! I always spell it "definately." GRR!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:21 pm

For me it's "critisize"...
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 pm

What I love about writing is how natural it feels. It's always such a challenge, a puzzle, to try and solve the self-created problems a writer makes for themselves by having the plot escape you. It's fantastic. What I dislike so much is second-guessing myself, having to go back frequently and rewrite what I've established as official canon, luckily before any of it is in print. It's also tough for me that I can't fix my mistakes after they're published, so what's in print is frozen and I have to work within that frame. Then again, I'd rather be published than not, and I'm looking for a way to edit and publish my fourth one.

What I dislike is how many good ideas have actually been done by someone else. It's depressing, to think you're being edgy and original, and only later find out that you're not and have to make a change.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:21 am

As for the mysteries, the motives come easily, but the confrontations are... blah.
I just don't want to do the same confrontation style over and over again, if you know what I mean.
~Ellery Queen

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:48 am

I love to write and I've done it for as long as I can remember. The same problem happens everytime though; I just stop after a while for whatever reason and the bit I started is just left saved deep in my computer somewhere.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:44 am

go_leafs_nation wrote:As for the mysteries, the motives come easily, but the confrontations are... blah.
I just don't want to do the same confrontation style over and over again, if you know what I mean.
Amen! Here are eight I often use:
  • 1: Out front and say "I know what you did..."

2: Blackmail

3: Read from diary

4:
    Friend or family found out about the suspect's secret

5: The suspect raped the victim

6: The victim is bribing the suspect with counterfeit bills

7: Love (the strongest)

8: Victim ruins the suspect's life in the past or currently...

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:54 am

The one I used for my Paris episode involved the victim just being an annoying b@stard. I was getting tired of the "you-did-this" thing. (But I did include two strong "I-know-you-did-this" motives for the sake of plausibility...)
~Ellery Queen

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:57 am

A technique I find useful is to write small bios of my suspects before I begin writing... just to get to get into their mindset and be able to really invision them...

Stuff like...

Name:
(and so on...)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:41 am

MissScarletDidntDoIt wrote: I love to write and I've done it for as long as I can remember. The same problem happens everytime though; I just stop after a while for whatever reason and the bit I started is just left saved deep in my computer somewhere.
Ditto, I am SUCH a procrastinator.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 am

MissScarletDidntDoIt wrote:A technique I find useful is to write small bios of my suspects before I begin writing... just to get to get into their mindset and be able to really invision them...

Stuff like...

Name:
(and so on...)
I do that on Microsoft Excel for TCA.

I have columns labeled:

NAME
AFFAIRS
EPISODE APPEARANCE
EPISODE DEATH
RELATIONS
GENERAL SECRETS

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Whenever I'm writing an ATTWN fanfic (I know the majority of you write Clue stories, but this should be somewhat relatable), the biggest difficulty in writing them is historical research. Obviously, I am not going to give Anthony Marston a cell phone or Vera Claythorne an IPod, but I obsess over the minor details, like whether Marston should wear a black tux or a white tux, and if a knee-length dress for Vera would be too 'provocative' for that time.
Unfortunately, the web does not always help (for that matter, Wikipedia does not always help, either). So I try to look in encyclopedias if I can, but they do not always offer first-hand accounts of these experiences, which, to me, is essential because while creating a good story, I also want to remain as historically accurate as possible so I am spared from merciless flames by history nuts.
Do the minor details matter all that much? To me, they do. Would buying more books on 1930's fashion/hospitals/whatever help that much?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:One thing that helps me with writer's block when stuck on a chapter is listening to classical music. There's something about it that gets the creative juices flowing.
When worst comes to worst, any John Williams song helps out. (I wrote the "Paris" episode in its entirety after listening to the Raiders March.)
~Ellery Queen