go_leafs At the Movies (CLUE- p. 16)

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:20 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

http://blog.reelloop.com/news/paramount ... er-island/
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:33 am

God in Heaven!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:34 pm

It looks rubbish.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:36 pm

I disagree. Martin Scorsese is an amazing director, and since his involvement with Gangs of New York, Leonardo DiCaprio has evolved into one of the finest actors in Hollywood. The story sounds fantastic, and is not a horror, but more of a thriller, a genre that I love when done well.plus, Max von Sydow and Ben Kingsley co-star. What could go wrong?
~Ellery Queen

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:32 pm

It's never a good sign though when a movie gets pushed back. And it was pushed back to February, another bad sign.

Generally, Oscar-type movies come out in the fall early winter, before the year ends. Anything to come out in January or February is generally things that the studio knows are no good and just wants to get them out. It's the worst time for the box office. I hate to say it, but maybe Scorcese made a dud with this one. I know that the trailer doesn't particularly thrill me. This push back seems to confirm that.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:35 pm

While that possibility hasn't escaped me, it's possible that it was done purely for business reasons, or it hasn't yet been completed or something. Either way, I have Inglorious Basterds to look forward to!
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:23 am

I guess I must be the only person I know who thinks The Time Traveler's Wife sounds silly and cheesy.
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:25 pm

I agree. I suppose it's all nice and sweet, but, I find it oddly creepy that he met her when she was a young child and he was an adult.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:20 pm

Anyhow, if anyone is wondering why Shutter Island is such an important movie to me, it's because it may be the first time I will see a Scorsese in the theatre. I was still unaware of his existance at the time of The Departed's theatrical release (and wouldn't have been able to go either way because of the rating), but I recently became more aware of directors and their roles in their movies, and Scorsese is now one of the directors I admire most.

Anyhow, I sat down and reviewed Inglourious Basterds. It's not my best review, but I don't want to spoil anything. I recommend not trying to find anything out about it. Stay away from Roger Ebert's review in particular, until you've seen the movie at least.
Inglourious Basterds (2009)
Starring: Brad Pitt, Mélanie Laurent, Christoph Waltz, Eli Roth
Directed by Quentin Tarantino

Quentin Tarantino has proven to be one of the most inventive and resourceful directors in modern-day Hollywood. Inglourious Basterds may very well be his best film to date, the only other challenger worth noting being Pulp Fiction. This film is divided into chapters (an interesting move), and a character seen at the beginning and end (but largely absent in the middle) brings the story full circle.
The very opening scene already brings in a sense of tension. It takes place at a farmhouse, where Col. Hans Landa interrogates a man whom he suspects is hiding Jews. Christoph Waltz definitely deserves an Oscar nomination for his superb performance as Landa. He creates a superb villain unlike any I’ve ever seen.
The only distracting thing in this film may be Brad Pitt’s accent. It is an over-exaggeration of a Southern accent, and his voice just sounds strange.
I’m not about to spoil Inglourious Basterds. But I will say this: it delivers a darkly funny punch. One moment, for instance, where Brad Pitt attempts to pass himself off as Italian, is extremely hilarious.
One last detail: this film is practically entirely in French or German. There’s really little English in it. That’s what adds to the film’s authenticity. Some movies can get distracting when the characters are Germans, but speak English. The use of English is always explained nicely here. I’m particularly glad that, thanks to my extensive education in bilingual cereal packaging, I understood the French (and the subtext in it, i.e. the implied meanings or gutter slang) without having to resort to the subtitles (a good thing, since I sat near front row). This made my enjoyment of the film even more complete.
For those wondering why the title is misspelled, it is, according to Tarantino, “the Tarantino way of spelling it�. Another explanation: a shot is shown that suggests Brad Pitt’s character is barely literate, and spells it that way.
There are two things I’m not about to forget easily about this film, and they have to do with film technique. The first: the music. Tarantino doesn’t play a bunch of Bach and Chopin to accompany this film. The music is effective. At times, however, it abruptly cut off. I usually hate this technique, but it somehow worked in this film. In a scene near the end, the music is sharply cut off, only to restart when a shot plays, similar to the one that started the music in the first place. It was an ingenious move, which I loved. The one other thing? It’s a shot near the end of a ghostly-looking face, and it is so effectively creepy, that it will probably haunt me in my nightmares.
The Verdict: This film is poorly named; it once more proves that the man behind the camera, Quentin Tarantino, is a “glorious b@stard�. It’s a film I highly recommend. It’s purely enjoyable, and one of the best films of the year so far. Tarantino has not lost his touch (despite the disappointing Grindhouse). It may surprise some of you that I am rating this a great movie at this early date, but that is precisely what it is.
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:14 pm

go_leafs_nation wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

http://blog.reelloop.com/news/paramount ... er-island/
The article seems to have changed. Now, it says that the move is purely for financial reasons, as Paramount's 2010 films generally lack in hype (The Lovely Bones, for instance, a twisted novel if there ever was one). Moving it to February "will help keep the studio doors open until its massive tent-pole, Iron Man 2, is released."
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:36 pm

I recall reading The Lovely Bones a few years ago. A very disturbing novel, but well-written nonetheless (however, I wish the b@stard of the novel got a better comeuppance). I'm curious as to how it's going to be adapted into a film.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Yeah, it'll be extremely difficult. But if Peter Jackson can remake King Kong and improve on it, I'm certain he can adapt the novel. Stanley Tucci is Mr. Harvey-- that will be interesting. I barely recognized him in the trailer (only the final minute of it held any interest for me, though).

However, that scene where Susie switched place with her friend... that was twisted.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 pm

I know, I was like WTF? :shock:
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:08 am

For those of you who have no clue what we're talking about, here is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyNYxGZonI

With all due respect to whoever thought of the trailer, I was bored to death until the final minute. Why keep Stanley Tucci offscreen? It won't be any secret who kills the girl. You see it happen. Then why try to make it into a mystery for the first little bit?
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:50 pm

I guess this can count as a review:

http://uk.agathachristie.com/forum/have ... t-express/

Basically, in that post on the AC site, I sum up the failure that is Alfred Molina's Murder on the Orient Express.
And to make this more "official":
The Verdict: Epic Failure.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Know what's funny? I just finished reading that on the AC site! :lol: Talk about Deja Vu!
Oh my...that does sound horrible. You have to finish, though, just because I'm curious as to how bad the rest of the movie could be.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Trust me, the ending is... bad doesn't describe it well enough. I've seen it, I just can't force myself to take sarcastic notes while watching it again.
~Ellery Queen

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Ouch. Sounds like the computer version of And Then There Were None was better than that. (I've played it, and I thought the ending, though ruined by the whole Gabrielle Steele plot twist, was pretty creative. At the very least, it brought up another way for Wargrave's part of the rhyme to be completed appropriately. Beyond that... blah.

Also, they cut it down from twelve murderers to nine? Well, that kills the "trial by jury" comparison. Maybe if they were doing the U.S. Supreme Court, it could work, but that's too much of a stretch.

On a final note, anyone here played the version of Evil Under the Sun? I haven't, so I can't say much about it.
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:30 am

I've played it, and although the game itself is rather fun, it has too many technical difficulties. It keeps freezing up.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Grr, YES. That was why I quit; I got tired of having to re-play it AGAIN. :evil: