94%
Twilight
6%

Total votes: 17

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Harry Potter or Twilight?

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:06 am

I know not everyone on here is a fan of Harry Potter or Twilight and even think they're both overhyped, but for those who are, which one, in your opinion, is better?
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:13 am

I've yet to see a Twilight Clue game.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:38 am

Harry Potter.

Though I'm not a particular fan of either series, Harry Potter didn't make me gag. (No offence to Twilight fans)
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:41 pm

HARRY POTTER ALL THE WAY

Twilight suck whale balls :lol:
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Meh, neither.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Of the two, Harry Potter is the lesser of two evils. I'm not a fan of either, but if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one or the other, I'd burn Twilight and read that.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:08 pm

So far, the score is Harry Potter: 4, Twilight: 0. :D
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:39 am

What else did you expect Jane Poirot? :)

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:38 pm

I find it ironic that just about everyone on this site hates Twilight.
~Ellery Queen

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 pm

Why?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Well, since most people are overhyped over it, but then us Clue fans... 8)
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Here's a nice little Twilight review I found on facebook:
I've been a determined hater of the Twilight series for awhile now. Mostly because of the slightly demented fans I've come across. I finally decided to give it a chance and read it a few days ago, during Hurricane Ike of all times. The beginning was tolerable. It isn't until Bella and Edward fall in love that the book descends into sheer idiocy. Bella repeats over and over and over again how gorgeous Edward is, how he looks like a statue of Adonis, how his skin is like marble, even what color his eyes are until I wanted to scream in frustration. Bella herself is the most annoying thing of all though, even more annoying than poor writing or bad plotting. This girl could drive a saint into a murderous rage. The girl screams Mary Sue as bad as any character I have ever seen in published fiction. She moves to a new town and everyone promptly falls in love with her. All the boys want to date her and all the girls, with two notable exceptions, want to be her friend. The two exceptions, Lauren(a minor, minor, minor character) and Rosalie Cullen, dislike Bella, not because the girl is sheer Mary Sue evil, but because they're jealous. Yes, that's right. An impossibly beautiful, immortal, superpowered vampire is jealous of a clumsy girl with freakishly low self-esteem and zero positive personality traits. But back to Bella's Mary-Sueness. Edward Cullen has been a vampire for over one hundred years. Out of all the women he's met, not one has captured his heart until Bella, seemingly in the blink of an eye. Also, Edward can read everyone's mind, yet Bella is impervious to his power and an explanation is never given. *checks another item off the Mary Sue Detection List* Then we're constantly reminded in the early chapters that Bella has read all the school books, was an honors student, yada yada yada. So it's clear the girl is a Mary Sue. But then there's the way she behaves towards Edward. Essentially the book's message seems to be that women should be totally obsessed with their man and be totally helpless without him. Bella is like the ultimate damsel in distress. She tells us over and over again that she can't live without Edward. She constantly relies on him to save her, never making an effort to help herself. I could go on, but it's just sickening. The really sad thing is the Cullens are actually pretty cool. But when Bella comes into contact with them, they do stupid things. A good example is Alice letting Bella call her mother's house when they're fleeing James, the evil vampire. It never occurred to Alice that James just might find Bella's old address and go visit? How could anyone be that dumb? Answer, Bella sucked every ounce of intelligence out of her. And when Bella isn't making the vampires ridiculous, Meyer herself is. I can handle stripping away the usual vampiric weaknesses, since a lot of them are just weird and random, but making them sparkle in the sunlight instead of exploding in a cloud of ash? That's just stupid. The last problem I have with the book is the attitude that Bella displays toward her fellow humans. Almost every human character in the stories is derided, sometimes subtly, sometimes blatantly. Count up the amount of times Bella compares a human to a dog or makes some other snide remark. Ccompare that to negative things she says about the vampires. About the only thing I can think of is the time she says James is average looking. Oh, the horror, the horror! Bella sounds almost like a Death Eater, sneering at Muggles and worshiping pure bloods.
So long story short, don't read Twilight unless you can laugh at it.
~Ellery Queen

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:19 pm

Sounds like Ms. Mango's kind of book.

If my game wasn't set in 1992, she'd be reading this in a heartbeat.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Silly me. Here I was thinking that Mary Sues could only be found in amateur fanfiction. How I was wrong... :evil:

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Silly me. Here I was thinking that Mary Sues could only be found in amateur fanfiction. How I was wrong... :evil:

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:28 pm

And speaking of Mary Sues, I stumbled across this House fanfic that has to be one of (if not the) worst fanfics ever written. Not only does it contain a Mary Sue, it also manages to insult gays, blacks, Jews, working mothers, and tall people. Even though I do not watch House , this is still an example of just how horrible a fanfic can be (the ultimate example is My Immortal but I get the feeling that the author who wrote that was really a troll; I think this author may have been serious ).
Here are the links to the three parts (complete with commentary, also called MSTing, where someone copies and pastes a fanfic and inserts their personal comments, so the stuff in bold is not part of the fic):

http://community.livejournal.com/house_mst/66319.html

http://community.livejournal.com/house_mst/67150.html

http://community.livejournal.com/house_mst/67451.html

PS In the last chapter, the author makes Stephanie Meyer look like a College Professor in biology.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Edward can't read Bella's mind because she doesn't have one :mrgreen:
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:30 pm

Hmm, who voted Twilight?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 pm

I logged in here earlier and my friend voted, using my user... he said that he wanted to vote in it even though he's not a member so... technically I did, but really I didn't... I hope that makes sense :wink:

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Not me, LORD NO!!!! I hate it on principle.