Books

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 am

For all those who haven't seen the David Suchet version of MOTOE (an abysmal failure, IMO), I made a five-second version of the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Md3j3eG ... r_embedded
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

MajorHoy
Slueth

Re:

Post by MajorHoy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:41 am

Zoo977 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 pm
Has anyone here ever read any of the donut shop murder mysteries? I just finished Killer Crullers, and it was really one of the best mysteries I've read. I don't know if it was because of the apple cider doughnut recipe or because of the mystery itself, but either way, I loved the book.
I'm not really into the "cozy mystery" genre for myself, but I have been borrowing quite a few of them from local libraries for my Mom to read. (I tend to get her ones with cats/other animals for her, like the "Cat in the Stacks" series by Miranda James <a pseudonym for Dean James>, but she's also read other food-related series like "Hannah Swensen Mystery" series by Joanne Fluke <Joanne Fischmann> and the "Hayley Powell Food and *beep* Mystery" series by Lee Hollis <Rick Copp and his sister Holly Simason>.)
My tastes these days are little more towards hard-boiled mysteries (Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Ross Macdonald); the 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain <Evan Hunter, though he was born Salvatore Lombino>; and some of the older mystery series like Philo Vance, Ellery Queen, Mr. & Mrs. North, etc.

MajorHoy
Slueth

Re: Re:

Post by MajorHoy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:44 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:41 am
Zoo977 wrote:
Has anyone here ever read any of the donut shop murder mysteries? I just finished Killer Crullers, and it was really one of the best mysteries I've read. I don't know if it was because of the apple cider doughnut recipe or because of the mystery itself, but either way, I loved the book.
I'm not really into the "cozy mystery" genre for myself, but I have been borrowing quite a few of them from local libraries for my Mom to read. (I tend to get her ones with cats/other animals for her, like the "Cat in the Stacks" series by Miranda James <a pseudonym for Dean James>, but she's also read other food-related series like "Hannah Swensen Mystery" series by Joanne Fluke <Joanne Fischmann> and the "Hayley Powell Food and **** Mystery" series by Lee Hollis <Rick Copp and his sister Holly Simason>.)
My tastes these days are little more towards hard-boiled mysteries (Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Ross Macdonald); the 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain <Evan Hunter, though he was born Salvatore Lombino>; and some of the older mystery series like Philo Vance, Ellery Queen, Mr. & Mrs. North, etc.
That should have been "Hayley Powell Food and C-o-c-k-tails Mystery" series, but because of the way this system works, . . .

= sigh! =

coinilius
Junior Detective

Post by coinilius » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:02 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:44 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:41 am
Zoo977 wrote:
I'm not really into the "cozy mystery" genre for myself, but I have been borrowing quite a few of them from local libraries for my Mom to read. (I tend to get her ones with cats/other animals for her, like the "Cat in the Stacks" series by Miranda James <a pseudonym for Dean James>, but she's also read other food-related series like "Hannah Swensen Mystery" series by Joanne Fluke <Joanne Fischmann> and the "Hayley Powell Food and **** Mystery" series by Lee Hollis <Rick Copp and his sister Holly Simason>.)
That should have been "Hayley Powell Food and C-o-c-k-tails Mystery" series, but because of the way this system works, . . .

= sigh! =
Darn, my imagination was running wild with what that **** could have been :lol:

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:33 am

coinilius wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:02 am
MajorHoy wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:44 pm

= sigh! =
Darn, my imagination was running wild with what that **** could have been :lol:
As mentioned in another thread, this system is quite bizarre since it censors words that are really quite harmless just because part of the word may be questionable, yet the system doesn't censor user names (like those of some SPAMMERS) that definitely sound questionable! :roll:

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Re: Books

Post by cluedoking123 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:35 pm

I don't know if anyone has brought this book up yet, but y'all gotta read The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm

Just finished a murder she wrote novel, and well. We can add it to the list of things ALMOST named TheArtOfMurder that aren't worth experiencing, the former two being a crappy metal band and a crappy metal album

Image Image

Three times now I've been let down by things tangential to this website :U
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

MajorHoy
Slueth

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Zoo977 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:18 pm

Just finished a murder she wrote novel, and well. We can add it to the list of things ALMOST named TheArtOfMurder that aren't worth experiencing, the former two being a crappy metal band and a crappy metal album

Image Image

Three times now I've been let down by things tangential to this website :U
Well, my Mom's been reading the Murder She Wrote books, including that one, and seems to enjoy them.

Metal music I don't think she would have any tolerance for.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:35 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:53 pm
Well, my Mom's been reading the Murder She Wrote books, including that one, and seems to enjoy them.

Metal music I don't think she would have any tolerance for.
I have to admit, while I don't like them critically, they are a bit of a guilty pleasure.

The prose feels amateur and characters are flat, yet the few I've read have had interesting scenarios. I've enjoyed the read, but I wouldn't recommend them.
Last edited by Zoo977 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!