Books

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators:Michael, BBP, Tum

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:48 pm

And if they take 7 lives? What will compensate for the other 6?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I'm personally for capitol punishment.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:00 pm

By voicing your thoughts, you add fuel whether you like it or not.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:05 pm

True.

It wasn't long ago I had to write an essay for Citizenship about whether or not capitol punishment should be acceptable. At any rate, each case should be treated uniquely depending on the particular perpretrator. I find that a criminal dead, though still not morally justified, causes lesser problems than if he/she had a life sentence.

Okay, I'm done. I voiced my opinion and now no longer want to be in this debate. I've been in it one too many times already.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I think I may have mentioned it before, but one chapter of The Chamber says that the people who are opposed to the death penalty the most are the executioners themselves. It makes sense, in a way--they'd start out thinking they were doing the world a service, but being surrounded by death day in and day out can't be very pleasant.

Being a lawyer with a client on death row doesn't sound like fun, either; even the poor naive lawyer begins to crack under the pressure, especially after he digs up more on his grandfather's dirty past. It sounds like a job that would be VERY stressful.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm

I've just finished A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch. Outstanding novel, especially for a first timer. Definitely recommended to any member here, especially those who are fans of Cluedokid's newest creation.

Finch's Victorian gentleman and self proclaimed amateur detective Charles Lenox is a new favorite detective of mine, ranking up there with the likes of Hercule Poirot. His relationships with those close to him are amicable indeed. I really wouldn't want to give anything more anyway (I'm not too good at reviews anyways) but I would definitely tell everyone here to read this if you get the chance. You'll definitely thank me later.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:59 am

I'm reading Lord of the Flies at the moment...

"Sucks to your assmar!"
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 am

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Heh, the movie inspired me to read the original again.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:02 am

I've almost collected all the christie's.

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 pm

go_leafs_nation wrote:I'm reading Lord of the Flies at the moment...

"Sucks to your assmar!"
Me too, for school! My pleasure reading right now is The Picture of Dorian Gray though.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm reading it for school, too, but I already read it some time earlier- it's interesting, but I found the ending so darn depressing! The Picture of Dorian Grey is a great read, too.
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:16 am

I have discovered a true mystery-writing gem in Christianna Brand. Her specialty was the closed circle of suspects, and she really pulled it off brilliantly, like no one else! Her clueing is superb, and her characterisation is razor-sharp, as all of her characters are intensely likeable.

I'm currently reading her Green for Danger, where a patient dies under mysterious circumstances on an operating table. It seems like a pure, unforeseeable accident; after all, substituting the gases that were used as anesthetic was absolutely impossible. But when a nurse hysterically declares she knows who the murderer is and has proof, she turns up dead herself...
~Ellery Queen

raw
Suspect

Post by raw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am

go_leafs_nation wrote:I'm currently reading her Green for Danger, where a patient dies under mysterious circumstances on an operating table. It seems like a pure, unforeseeable accident; after all, substituting the gases that were used as anesthetic was absolutely impossible. But when a nurse hysterically declares she knows who the murderer is and has proof, she turns up dead herself...
have you seen the film version? i have.

raw
Suspect

Post by raw » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:33 am

somewhat reading tony parsons at the mo. his harry silver books.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

I finished reading 1984 last night. Very disturbing piece of dystopian literature, but d@mn good.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Agreed!
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 am

I also find that it was very slow in the beginning, but got easier to get into as it went into the second part. I think the main reason for that, though, was because it's a book I'm supposed to read for English. I liked it, but I would've enjoyed it better if I read it on my own time.
Right now, I'm in the mood for classic lit--and whenever classic lit is assigned, I want to read contemporary fiction, lol.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 pm

I just listened to an audiobook of Under the Dome by Stephen King. It was an AMAZING book. One of his best. It took about 35 hours to listen to it, but it was well worth it.

It's about a town suddenly enveloped in a mysterious unpenetrable glass-like dome. Several hours into it, I thought I knew what was going on, but I was wrong. The real plot is much more powerful and makes you really think about life. And, of course, nobody builds plot and characters like Stephen King.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:19 pm

I read this, all 1074 pages. Took me around 2 weeks or so. Great book although the ending wasn't too stellar.
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 pm

i loved the ending. I think it really brings everything full circle.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?