Movie Scenes That Traumatized You *May Contain Spoilers*

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Movie Scenes That Traumatized You *May Contain Spoilers*

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Are there any movie scenes from your childhood that really traumatized or disturbed you as a child and still have lingering effects?

I was watching Cloak and Dagger yesterday and there was this part where the friendly old woman pulls off her glove to reveal that she's missing two fingers (which reveals that she's the bad guy). Something about that deformed hand really messed with my head and the memories all came flooding back to me.

I have so many more (like almost any scene from IT), but what are some of yours?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:35 pm

Oh yes... def.

When I was about 6 or 7, I saw "Predator." I am to this day afraid of the dark because of that movie. That scene where the alien walks right by the main character, and you realize that his armor is cloaked to reflect the jungle... OMG.

I make Tony watch me as I get to my car when I leave his house for that reason... it really messed with me.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:52 pm

There were definitely scenes that scared me as a kid (almost any scene at Professor *beep*-Eyes' Carnival in We're Back!: A Dinosaur's Story or the scene where Belle's father gets lost in the woods in Beauty and the Beast instantly come to mind), but I can't think of any that have had lasting effects.

However, my brother can't watch Chucky movies. He watched the first one when it came out, and at the time he had a My Buddy doll, which Chucky looks remarkably similar to (it had to be intentional). So after that, he didn't play with the My Buddy doll anymore, and he certainly didn't watch any more of the movies.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Nightmare on Elm Street. My older cousin thought it would be brilliant to show that to a four year old.

The part when the blonde girl is sleeping and she's being dragged across the ceiling by Freddy Kreugar. Still fresh in my mind. I was afraid to go to sleep for months.

Then there was Creepshow 2. During "The Raft" when the girl decides to star swirling her finger around in the water and the slime thing eats her. I was afraid of the bathtub after that.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Psycho's infamous shower scene had quite the profound effect on me. I was terrified of showers after going to the Hitchcock show at Universal Studios.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:29 am

*SPOILERS*

Psycho also traumatized me, but it wasn't the shower scene. It was the scene at the end when Mother's skeleton is revealed. I still cannot watch the scene unless I'm fully prepared for it. Even then, I still get the shivers.

(I also saw the remake, and the mummy in that was nowhere near as scary. It was comical in fact!)

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 am

Those Nightmare on Elm Street movies really did a number on me too. Especially the one where the teen gets pulled through a bed...

And just about the entire Poltergeist movie. The creepy clown doll... the kid's braces... the dead bodies in the pool...

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 am

Poltergeist didn't scare me at all really, although the first time I watched it was this summer. I bought Nightmare on Elm Street, but to be honest I'm still a little too afraid to watch it. I'll get around to it.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 am

Edit
Last edited by cacums on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:15 am

Well, there aren't really many movies that affect me now. It's all about when you were younger...

I did think, though, that No Country for Old Men bothered me. (Spoilers). The bad guy was just so evil and merciless. The scene where he killed the wife was just so sad.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 am

The only movie that I recently saw that had a profound effect on me was the anime "Grave of the Fireflies,".

It was about World War II in Japan.

It was so sad, that it made me depressed for weeks. I mean, the whole movie revolves around a teenage boy and his four year old sister. Then they just die of malnutrition after their mother dies in an air raid and their father dies when his ship sinks.

But yes, Nightmare on Elm Street was the worse. Always that one scene, when her she's sleeping with her boyfriend and then her body starts being flung around, although nobody's doing it.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:24 pm

That title reminded me of Lord of the Flies. When they killed the poor fat kid... very ruthless.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Jaws. I dearly love the four films, but I also know them far too well. So even today, I still have difficulty with my own shower/bathtub because of it. Mind you, I never miss my daily shower. It's too important to me. But it also requires a radio on and a book in my hands so I don't think about it.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Yeah, the movies I watch now obviously don't bother me as much, although I only saw part of the movie Striking Distance and ended up having a nightmare that had similar elements. I wouldn't say I was traumatized by the movie, though.

After seeing Basic Instinct, however, I will never be able to be tied up. That opening scene really bothers me.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:48 am

I am actually afraid of the barber's after The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

*SPOILERS*

Meat Pies, Straight razors, trap doors, singing while he carves my throat open. :shock:

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:11 pm

Hellraiser-the entire movie killed me! :roll:
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:45 pm

Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. I saw that seven months ago and I still shudder whenever I see a flock of birds flying in the sky, or perched on a tree.
Last edited by Jane Poirot on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:16 pm

I love the Birds! Such an awesome movie.

Murder me QUICK!
Spy

Post by Murder me QUICK! » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:31 am

Films that had disturbed me when I was a kid:

- Cocoon (Lighthearted movie I know, but they take their (fake) skins off!!!)

- Aliens (That used to make me freak out every time my stomach grumbled in case something nasty was inside.)

- The Fly (The Vincent Price version. I always turned my head away from the screen once the cloth on the scientists head is removed)

- Pinoccio (Not the Disney version, but an old straight to video version where Pinoccio was a real boy who was cursed by a mad toymaker to become a puppet. The transformation scene was scary!!!!)

- Raiders of the Lost Ark (That scene where the *beep* finally open the box...)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:36 am

Murder me QUICK! wrote: - Raiders of the Lost Ark (That scene where the *beep* finally open the box...)

That is a coincidence! I watch that movie last night. the first time that scared me but in the second Indiana Jones movie, The Temple of Doom, I watch, but am always stunned when that priest with draws the heart :shock: :shock: