Current Thoughts

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators:Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I just saw Robin Williams' latest stand-up show, and it's hilarious. I particularly loved his summing up of U.S. politics since Clinton...
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:26 am

What's the house building like in Sims 3?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 am

It upsets me that all we're hearing about when it comes to the earthquake in Haiti is: "This many UN workers dead" "So-and-so many Canadians missing", etc. Not a word about the Haitians themselves.
~Ellery Queen

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:22 am

go_leafs_nation wrote:It upsets me that all we're hearing about when it comes to the earthquake in Haiti is: "This many UN workers dead" "So-and-so many Canadians missing", etc. Not a word about the Haitians themselves.
Not being mean or anything, but does anyone acturally care about the situration in Haiti. The main thing is that the situration isn't happening in our own countries.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Oh. My. God. Do you have any idea just how selfish that sounds? People are actually fighting for their own lives in Haiti! Around two hundred thousand people actually died and many of them had relatives who would actually care. People had their homes destroyed. Everything was taken away from them. Imagine how you would feel if it were your country struck by a horrible disaster and other people said, "Who cares, it isn't our country so there's no need for us to be concerned, we'll just let them fight for the last scrap of fresh meat because their problems are insignificant to ours; we'll only care once a large-scale disaster strikes us".
The main thing is that even though it isn't our country that's in danger, their country has it off even worse, and they need more people with compassion, and less people who take the luck they have for granted.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 pm

go_leafs_nation wrote: It upsets me that all we're hearing about when it comes to the earthquake in Haiti is: "This many UN workers dead" "So-and-so many Canadians missing", etc. Not a word about the Haitians themselves.
Agreed. UN workers and Canadian tourists aren't the only people who matter; what about the people who actually live there?
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:39 pm

Black wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:It upsets me that all we're hearing about when it comes to the earthquake in Haiti is: "This many UN workers dead" "So-and-so many Canadians missing", etc. Not a word about the Haitians themselves.
Not being mean or anything, but does anyone acturally care about the situration in Haiti. The main thing is that the situration isn't happening in our own countries.

Actually Black you may have hit a good point. Isn't that the attitude that is secretly true in this kind of situation? Yes, we all say "That's horrible" when we read it in the news, but it's so far removed that it barely leaves a prick in our own lives. Very little will give a hoot until an earthquake hits us as well.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 pm

On the other hand, the USA has also been through quite a few earthquakes (more recently, in California). Earthquakes are much rarer in Canada, but they have happened.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 am

No I don't just mean country either. I mean where you live. The earthquake is happening to you, taking everything and everyone you love, crushed to bloody pulp. Then you deal with the "what now?".

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Goodbye, math! Hopefully, if I passed my exam, I'll never have to look at another math textbook ever again! 8)

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:24 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:Hopefully, if I passed my exam, I'll never have to look at another math textbook ever again! 8)
Not unless you have any kids.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Funny, Black. :roll:

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 pm

oh.... I forgot.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Geesh, people really seem to be ganging up on Black lately. He doesn't seem any more annoying than usual. Why all the hate?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Nothing annoyed me more than usual, just the random absurdity of his previous comment.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Know what's weird? Recently, I've been imagining new characters for one of my stories as anime characters--in anime style, I mean. It's...odd.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Yeah, that is kinda weird.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Yay. Nothing's more exciting than a six-hour long titration.
~Ellery Queen

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 pm

That sounds filthy, go_leafs.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Only if the phenolphthalein gets on you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titration
~Ellery Queen