Current Thoughts

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:59 pm

I've been practising the Supercoin game from Minute to Win It. No wonder no-one can get the $1,000,000! :|
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Has anyone seen Lord Caspen in the past couple of days?

I only ask because I find it odd that The Excelsior hasn't progressed any, since I've made my post(s) and I'm pretty sure I'm the one everybody was waiting on. That and Let's Play Clue 10, but PrinceAzure33 could help move that along too (though PrinceAzure33's admitted to being busy - on the other hand, it's been a couple of weeks for PrinceAzure33 as well...).
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I talked to him, and even gave him my drawing of the first murder(!). Although he acknowledged that he received it, he hasn't made any further action.

Perhaps I could post it, but it would probably be better to wait for him so that he can give further instruction.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:17 pm

My little brother has gone through a Star Wars craze of late, and finally my mother let him watch the movies. (I had to wait till I was 16!) He got through The Empire Strikes Back yesterday. There's something really beautiful and poetic about that movie- one could call it that elusive quality of greatness.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Opinions from an Oscar actress whom I wholeheartedly agree with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11420737

I back her ideas; slang memes are rotten!
~ Blackmail!

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:17 am

CMustardwPipeinLibrary wrote:Has anyone seen Lord Caspen in the past couple of days?

I only ask because I find it odd that The Excelsior hasn't progressed any, since I've made my post(s) and I'm pretty sure I'm the one everybody was waiting on. That and Let's Play Clue 10, but PrinceAzure33 could help move that along too (though PrinceAzure33's admitted to being busy - on the other hand, it's been a couple of weeks for PrinceAzure33 as well...).
Sorry! I lurk without signing in every now and then. When I do so, I don't read every thread, so it slipped my mind until now. I've posted the beginning of the conclusion to No Man's Island.

Stay tuned! :wink:

Though I'm anxious for The Excelsior to continue as well, from Cluedokid's Facebook, it appears as if Vienna Pryce is the first one to bite the dust. I'm curious on seeing how the first of many deaths will progress :twisted:
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad

Post by WarnerPlum » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:57 am

~ Blackmail!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 am

I trying to find a song that I heard but I don't know it's name or the singer.

It sounds french but it isn't. I don't think it has any lyrics.

Any Ideas?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Happy Birthday Cluedokid :)

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks! I'm 18 now!

I got some Sims game for my Mac, and played hockey with Dad afterward. It was great!

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:10 am

Happy Birthday Cluedokid.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:55 am

Happy birthday, CluedoKid! :)

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:35 am

Ooh, happy birthday CluedoKid!!
~ Blackmail!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:12 am

Happy Belated Birthday!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:51 pm

I watched Disney's adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow last night, and I realized just how stunning the segment is. The suspense is really something, as Ichabod Crane's ride back home is really unreasonably creepy, with even the croak of a bullfrog sounding like "Headless horseman... Headless horseman..." The chase sequence perfectly balances suspense with dark humour.

I read Irving's tale when I was 10 or 11, and it scared the bejeezus out of me for months. I haven't read it since. But while watching the Disney short, I suddenly realized that there was quite a probability that Ichabod's encounter with the Headless Horseman never took place, i.e. Brom Bones conceived a masterful plot to kill his rival for the fair Katrina. Here's how it worked (in the short at least- I'd have to reread the original tale to see how well this theory holds up):

Brom is not blind. He can see that Katrina, whom he has hoped to marry, has fallen for Ichabod's gentlemanly nature and quiet charm. This angers him, and he decides that he will get rid of his rival one way or another. At the party that night, it is Brom who tells the tale of the Headless Horseman. He does it very colourfully and craftily, and he knows that as silly as it will seem when everyone's at the party having a good time, the moment Ichabod begins his long trek back home, the tale will come back and play games with his mind. He awaits his rival on his horse, and when he approaches, he lets out a maniacal laugh and starts to chase him. Ichabod is so scared by this time, Brom has but to place his shoulders a little higher and sort of tuck his head under to simulate the appearance of the Headless Horseman. No one else is present- the entire chase sequence is a fantasy, dream-like: it is not what happened anymore, but what superstitious people imagine happened. The fact that Ichabod's hat was discovered with the remains of a shattered pumpkin is very suggestive in itself. The way I see it, Ichabod may have fallen off his horse, or Brom may have just clobbered him with the pumpkin while he was still on. Maybe this killed him, or maybe not- maybe Brom has to finish the job, while Ichabod's spooked horse gallops off. He then disposes of the body, perhaps by burying it, and when Ichabod is missing the next day, he has only to console Katrina and then manipulate his way to marriage.

It's one of my favourite Disney shorts, although it appeared with the Mr. Toad short originally in a feature film. It's really a beautiful cartoon, and unreasonably creepy.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:41 pm

I'd always suspected the Headless Horseman was actually Brom. Didn't stop the sequence from being any less scary for me at the age of five, though... :shock: Especially the flying flaming pumpkin...*shudder*

Part of me doesn't want to believe Ichabod truly died, though; maybe Brom's plan failed somehow (this is going on memory now, but I don't think a body was ever found). True, maybe he might have buried the body, but in those days there was no way to tell for certain if a person was dead or just in a coma. As a result, many comatose patients ended up getting buried alive and woke up inside their own coffin. :shock:

Back on topic: Maybe Brom thought he had killed Ichabod and buried him somewhere, and when Ichabod regained conciousness he escaped and left to another town, where he could live in secret to plot his revenge... :twisted:
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Hm... Not a bad way to open a locked-room/historical mystery....

The Mystery of the Headless Rider

Brom Bones is found decapitated in a locked and unfurnished room, which was under observation. No one else was seen coming in, yet someone not only entered the room, they took whatever weapon was used for the decapitation with them!

Stumbling onto the scene is distinguished amateur sleuth Reginald du Kink, who discovers threatening letters, apparently from from a schoolmaster who has been missing for well over a decade. He hears of a legend of a headless rider, rumoured to be haunting the local cemetary, and discovers the role the murdered man had played a decade ago in a murderous plot...

Is Ichabod Crane still alive and executing his revenge on the living? If so, who is he? Or is the Headless Horseman behind the mysterious happenings?
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:58 pm

And yes, it's an awful title, but It Walks By Night was already taken.
~Ellery Queen

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:46 am

Has anyone done their vote for the Crime, Thriller awards yet?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:47 pm

My physics prof threw a pumkin off the roof of the physics building today. To demonstrate projectile motion. And I suppose to keep everyone's interest up.

Still, I can't make heads or tails out of physics. It's a strange religion of its own- you don't need to understand any of the things behind it, but put your faith in the equations, and they will guide you to the answer.
~Ellery Queen