Dreams

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:25 pm

I have been dreaming about falling over with my luggage and being stuck in Frankfurt. And it's not like I could go back to Prague or go to Northern Greece and stay. I am just standing or rolling with all my luggage.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:45 pm

I had a strange dream the other night. I was driving in the rain when my tire blew and I skidded into some poles. It felt pretty real (up until the pole part), and I woke up pretty shaken. The next day when I went out to my car, the tire that I had blown in my dream was missing it's hubcap. I was pretty creeped out by this, but I drove home anyway. I was fine.

I also have recurring dreams where I'm running from someone, yet I can't lock any doors behind me. I keep trying, running into various rooms in a house, but I can't get the doors to close all the way or they just won't lock no matter how much I try to turn the latch.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Easy Answers

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:47 am

There is an easy answer to those, NiteShade.

First dream: probably, you were aware the hubcap was missing or loose, but didn't process it directly, while asleep, it all falls into place. There are likely metaphors and puns involved, too, and deeper issues, but this is the easy answer.

Second dream: the someone you are running from in your dream is some unde-rrecognized part of your own personality. You are anxious to keep from confronting this reality, and so keep trying to change the context -- moving into successive rooms. But none of these new contexts are complete; doubts about their integrity give room for this "other" you to keep its pursuit for recognition.

The problem with both these interpretations, well, there are two problems. One: they are both glancing. In the case of the first dream, as I say, there's probably a lot more at work, but only you would have the least clue what. In the case of the second, well, the solution is so vague in description it could fit nearly anything for anyone at almost any time in her life. You may as well fasten any one meaning to it as any other.

And two: you didn't actually ask for any, so my offering them is probably quite rude.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 am

No, actually I appreciate it. The hubcap thing I figured I must have saw earlier in the day and just didn't realize, so you and I are probably on the same page there. And I was nearly in a car accident a few days before, and I heard it would rain. I imagine all these things were at work when it came to me sleeping.

As for the door thing. It's interesting, although I honestly can't think of something that I'm running from in my personality. It's better than the explanation that my friend looked up in some dream book. It said that it meant I would never be with my true love. That's depressing.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Ah

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:20 am

Oh. I have a hard time believing in the concept of a "true love," if it's at all possible you're never going to meet that person. I mean, how would you ever know for sure if you'd found them, or if you were just feeling a bit euphoric? I mean, prophecies can be wrong or misunderstood -- so, maybe the prophecy is wrong because you feel so good about this person, or maybe it's just that you had a large amount of chocolate recently, or had some other strange nervous response ... How could you ever know which it was?

Then, suppose you unequivocally have found that person. I presume it's possible to mess up with them, and then there's a separation and you never meet them again. How do you differentiate between such a thing happening with your true love, and when it happens with anyone else?

It seems to me that if there's really such a thing as a true love, then almost nobody ever finds them, and yet a lot of people seem to manage some happiness with the people they do find, so I don't see any reason for that news to be depressing.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:21 pm

True. I'm not saying that it's necessarily is such a thing as true love, but the romantic in me would at least like to think that there is one person out there who is perfect for you. Of course, the chances of finding them are slim, I suppose. It's a big world. But I think it's a nice thought to think that out there, there is one person who is "the one."

As far as finding "the one" goes, like I said, it's probably slim. Most people I imagine change their idea of happiness at some point in their lives. They decide that "the one" may never come, and settle for something else. They're still happy, but perhaps this isn't how they expected life to turn out. Men settle for women who aren't as beautiful as they once imagined ending up with, women settle for men not as handsome as they hoped, each with personality flaws that they dreamed they never had to deal with, but in the end, those relationships that make it, do end up happy, I suppose. Just not what they once dreamed their lives would play out.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:23 pm

Personally, I believe in "true love". It's "true love at first sight" that I look at cynically.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Last night, I dreamed that, of all people, my parents and I took John McCain out for lunch! He even drove us to some Chinese restaurant! He was pretty nice, actually. He didn't even criticize any of Canada's policies.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Oooh

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:37 pm

JanePoirot,
Last night, I dreamed that, of all people, my parents and I took John McCain out for lunch! He even drove us to some Chinese restaurant! He was pretty nice, actually. He didn't even criticize any of Canada's policies.

Not one policy? My, what a charmer!

Colonel Gray Poopond
Forensics Expert

Post by Colonel Gray Poopond » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:02 pm

I once had a dream where a friend of mine was getting off a train.

I hadn't seen him in so long,and I wasn't really expecting him. I went up and hugged him.

Then I stood back and realized he was wearing a very elaborate jester costume.

And then I realized he was missing an arm.

I never have normal dreams...but that is okay.

(On a side note, this is my first post since the same day last year.)
All you need is love!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Welcome back :)

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:29 pm

Last night's dream gave me my cue to apply hand cream this morning: I dreamed I was a baby being held by her grandfather and I kept rubbing my face against his stubble...only to wake up and realize I was rubbing my face against the dry skin on my hands.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I had the dream about doors again, only this time it was a little different. This time, I was trapped inside, and everytime I tried to get away from "the bad guys," I guess, someone would be outside whatever door I tried to get through and push it closed. I would scream for help, and the police would come, but by the time I got to the next door it would happen all over again.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Okay, this one is kind of weird...I dreamed Vera Claythorne was running a restaurant with her mother, but then the entire staff came down with the flu (my former math teacher was part of the staff) and a bunch of snobs didn't like the janitor, so it was closed and Vera ran down to the docks and cried over it while sitting next to some Middle Eastern fisherman.
BUT, the dream had a M. Night Shyamalan twist to it...it was then revealed that it was really a story I was typing on my laptop! I was typing it on the beach and the laptop was on a surfboard (don't ask why) and just when I was about to conclude it, a tide came and the surfboard, with the laptop on it, floated away from me! And it was my turn to cry. :cry:

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:03 am

Last night, I had a dream where a strange purple fire would appear at random times and incinerate random buildings - not next to each other, either - just one random building at a time. No idea where that thought came from.
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:58 pm

This one was a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!

I dreamt that, like the Reinvention, they stopped selling the normal Clue movie and started selling a newer one (with only about 10 seconds of the original footage)!!!! Yvette was played by Miley Cyrus or Lindsay Lohan or someone and it was like a haunted house thriller!!!!

I'm afraid this is what is going to happen, folks.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 pm

fendue wrote: Yvette was played by Miley Cyrus
AAAAAAHHHH!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

fendue
Biometrics Examiner

Post by fendue » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:
fendue wrote: Yvette was played by Miley Cyrus
AAAAAAHHHH!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Exactly!

This is what she looked like:

Just more Miley Cyrus-ey.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:03 pm

I had a weird DOTN dream last night
**SPOILERS**

It was the scene at the end where Jacqui and Simon got to see each other one last time to do the murder/suicide thing, only they were in my parents' car and Simon was in a car seat and Simon said there was no need for them to die and asked Jacqui to marry him. The romance of the scene was completley destroyed when I discovered a bee crawling up my socks and I screamed "HELP! A BEE! AAAAHHH!"

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 pm

So...ahem...I have a question: If you dream about Sean and Jay from Degrassi, and Jesse from Gilmore Girls, approaching you asking you to marry them and you turn them all down and declare you're madly in love with your guy best friend, does that mean you're in love with said friend?