Our Kitchen Remodel

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:14 am

Day Two Hundred and Thirty Nine: Friday, July 6, 2007

Well, a few days off of work with the Fourth of July Holiday and all and we managed to make some progress!

First, we ripped out the doorframe and wall that lead into the kitchen. A smooth wall leading into the kitchen will really open the place up.

But that's assuming we can ever get the wall smooth. This side won't be too hard.

But this side has about a half inch difference that we're hoping to cover up with some clever plaster work.

We finished laying the tile and grouted. It looks pretty good. :)

Notice the threshold of the bathroom next door (as well as the bathroom walls) match the floor.

We installed a connection to the washer and dryer. You can't see it, but we re-worked the sink and dishwasher pipes as well as adding a connection for the refrigerator's ice maker and water dispenser. Ignore the ugly paint work... We'll fix that later.

And we assembled the base for the kitchen sink. You can see the brown color the cabinets will be. They also match the cabinets in the bathroom. Now THAT'S clever planning...

Next, we're going to tackle building a closet for the washer and dryer. Maybe at this rate I'll update again in a few months...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 pm

Well... keeping with my last statement, it's been a couple months so I'm updating. I have a few new pictures which I'll post soon.

But the news is that my parents are finally coming to visit me in New York over Thanksgiving, so we've got to whip this place in shape.

We got an estimate to have windows installed throughout the apartment (8 in total). Labor alone will be $3600.00. I have a feeling we might attempt this as another DIY project...

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Day God Knows What: Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I know... I can't believe it's not done yet either.

I'd almost given up on posting progress photos, but the people at work keep bugging me daily. I think it's becoming the joke of the office.

So here goes:

That doorway to the kitchen is long gone and the wall is finally patched and primed. You'd almost never know there was a wall there. (Just don't look at the other side which we haven't touched yet.)

The first thing you'll notice on the wall are switches. And switches... and switches. I'm not sure I really remember what they're all for. One turns on the main lights on a dimmer. One turns on the ceiling fan and adjusts the speed. One turns on the fan lights on a dimmer. One controls the display cabinet lights and one controls the under counter lights. I think there's one to control the neighbor's garage door like in that commercial, but I'm not 100% positive.

The aforementioned ceiling fan. It's pretty cool and modern looking. The lights are aimable anywhere in the room which is really helpful. Our terrible miscalculations, however, mean that the above refrigerator cabinet door hits the fan by about 1 milimeter when fully opened. UGH!

The sink side. Note that we've built a wall to hide the washer/dryer - which WILL actually fit inside. We just haven't gotten to the door part yet. You'll note on the wall we've also installed a switch for a garbage disposal. I'm looking forward to having one of those again. We also moved around a bunch of outlets. The first of the recessed lights are in as well.

The window. DON'T LOOK at it. We're still figuring it out.

The stove side. Stupid me... I left a light on the counter (or where we hope to one day have a counter...) so the shot is all washed out.

The Clark Kent cabinet next to the stove...

Turns into an ironing board. How cool is that? Well, it's cool if you don't really have any other place for an ironing board besides the living room.

The cabinet on the other side has a nifty false front that hides drawers. It makes me smile. :)

Note how we are making this cabinet area set in by the window so that counter top (don't even get me started on how much Ikea screwed my Thanksgiving timeline up by ignoring my order for a week...) will not block the window. Talk about smart thinking! (Just don't look at the window minus a frame.)

The refrigerator and display cabinet area is my favorite. The display cabinets on the right will have glass doors with lights inside. There will be a counter top on the lower cabinets to act as a sort of side-board since our eating area will be very very small.

And it will go here. Beneath the wall mounted TV. We're still trying to decide if it's out of scale for the room. My magic 8 ball says all signs point to yes.

Well... we've actually been working very hard to get this place in shape for Thanksgiving and my parents' visit. Cross your fingers!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Michael wrote:

The Clark Kent cabinet next to the stove...

Turns into an ironing board. How cool is that? Well, it's cool if you don't really have any other place for an ironing board besides the living room.

When it's done, be sure to pull a "Col. Mustard" and open the the cabinet so that the ironing board bangs your head as you go "Ougglfff!" :lol:

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:01 pm

DAY 1,226 - Sunday, March 21, 2010

For those of you who remember this thread, you probably think I just stopped updating this thread and we finished long ago. WRONG! With some baseboard painting, we finally finished this remodel today. Progress has been slow and almost steady to the finish line. Actually, the only think I would have like to do that we didn't is cut some more aluminum for the wall beneath the display cabinets. But that's going to have to be a potential project for the new owners.

We've listed the place for sale today. Pictures: http://www.66RomaineAve.com

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

It's a beautiful apartment. I remember some of the bathroom remodeling from awhile ago. It really does look like very nice apartment, and you guys have such great decorating skills. I love all the pictures in your house. Good luck finding a buyer!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks. We live for all those HGTV shows about how to stage and sell your house - all 900 variations on that theme. Hopefully it will have paid off.

Tum
Accomplice

Post by Tum » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:13 am

The site is no longer active, but here are the pictures.

66 Romaine Ave