Our Kitchen Remodel

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Our Kitchen Remodel

Post by Michael » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:24 pm

Day One: Friday, November 11, 2006

Are you sick yet of hearing about our home remodeling yet?! It's been 8 months and we haven't even finished the bathroom (but we're oh so close!).

We've been talking about redoing the kitchen for quite some time, but thought we'd get started after the bathroom. But today while we were at Home Depot - that god forsaken *beep* hole pit of despair - looking for some audio/visual plugs for the bathroom which of course they had but not enough, we found that they did have the 18"x18" Travertine we used on our bathroom walls on clearance. We had talked about using this on the floor of the kitchen too because it looks so nice and is easy to use, but now it seemed like a no-brainer. The tiles were marked down from $7.15 each to $4.78. Yay, bargain! So we snatched up six boxes (fearing that the weight of any more would kill our car) and will hopefully go back for more tomorrow.

I guess this officially begins out Kitchen Remodel countdown.

Our kitchen is a disaster as it is a makeshift workroom for our bathroom remodel, but I'll try to clean it up a bit to take some "before" pictures soon. Keep watching!
Last edited by Michael on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:06 am

you sure keep busy!!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Day Three: Sunday, November 12, 2006

Well, we were out shopping today and ran across a sale. We weren't planning to buy anything, but couldn't pass up the bargains! Unfortunately, in one fell swoop, we spent more on these six items than our entire bathroom remodel! In all, we supposably saved $1800 or so. Gotta keep telling ourselves that... saved lots of money... saved lots of money...

Hopefully, we haven't gone too high end that we'll lose money when we sell.

We started with the refrigerator. We considered buying a floor sample that had a few scratches and dents for a $1400 discount, but ended up going with a brand new stainless steel one instead:

Then we bought the same brand range:

And matching microwave to mount above it:

Then a ridiculously expensive dishwasher. But I particularly like the sleek front that isn't cluttered with knobs or buttons. We're debating returning this and getting a two drawer dishwasher:

And a stackable washer and dryer. This is something we don't have right now, and it will be interesting to see how we are able to incorporate it into the design of our new kitchen. We've got ideas, of course, but nothing definite. It'll have to go inside a closet we're probably going to build:

And lastly, we got a rebate form with one of our purchases for $20 back on a garbage disposal. This is something else that we've talked about for a long time, so it was time to throw it in the cart as well:

It feels good to have the major appliances out of the way. The only stinging things we have left to purchase are the cabinets and... (groan) counter tops. We're still debating the benefits of granite, but I don't think we'll ever recoup that cost! On the other hand, who wants nice appliances with crappy counters. Ugh... decisions decisions...

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:37 am

Day Eight: Friday, November 17, 2006

BEFORE PHOTOS:

I'm almost too embarrassed to even show these pictures, but I thought that unlike the bathroom remodel, we'd take more photographs of the before shots to better show the changes.

So this is the sink side. Plain and boring. The cheap-*** cabinets were installed in all of the units when they converted the building into condos way back when. Way Way back when. Or so we assume because we've seen a couple people getting rid of them during their own remodels. Lucky people... they probably used contractors. As you know we are do-it-yourselfers.

You can see that we use the top of the cabinets for storage which drives me nuts. In our remodel, we plan to have an extra row of cabinets that go up to the ceiling in order to hide this junk.

The far side of the counter is where we plan on building a little closet to house our washer and dryer we're installing. Hopefully it won't make it look too closed in or cramped.

Opposite the sink is the stove and refrigerator. I can't wait to get rid of this refrigerator in favor of a side-by-side. This one is just toooo small. There's never enough room for all of our food.

I do like to eat...

Also, of course... more junk crammed in every nook and cranny.

IS IT SO FREAKIN HARD TO CENTER A WINDOW?! WHO PLANNED THIS PLACE?! This window drives me insane. Why couldn't it be equi-distant between the cabinetry? You can see, also, that the countertop on the right overlaps part of the window. UGH! If we could move the window, we would. But I don't think the building would like that very much. Instead, we're going to probably make a shallower cabinet there to not overlap the window.

The nice thing about the window, though, is that it lets in a lot of light throughout the day. And if you look outside and across the small courtyard, it looks right into the neighbor's bathroom shower window.... hehehe

Our fan above the stove vents absolutely nowhere. That's the reason for the fan in the window. We're thinking of drilling a vent. Again, I don't think the building is going to like it... so we're not going to ask. I wonder when they'll notice.

A close up of the floor tile. There must have been a blue light special. Four cents a tile. Maybe less.

The floor is going to be replaced with travertine. We just haven't decided if we're going to do the radiant floor heating yet or not.

And from the floor, we move on to the ceiling. Ugly ceiling tiles and florescent bulbs are getting replaced with sheetrock and recessed lighting.

A close-up of the stove and microwave. There's nothing really wrong with it, but nothing really right either. So it must go.

A close-up of the dishwasher. Gee, I should have cleaned it I guess before immortalizing it in my before photos.

The sink. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah. Not sure what the new one will look like yet. We haven't much discussed it. But we're going to install a garbage disposal. We were going to install a filtered water dispenser, but since the new fridge is going to have a filter, we're going to pass on that. As for the fridge, you'll notice it's going to be on the other side of the room. That's going to make it fun to run the water line...

The kitchen table. (Also the dining room table because the dining room is now a den). It's a little too large for a kitchen of this size probably. We've only ever eaten on it once or twice. It's mostly just a workstation/extra counter space/dumping ground.

The picture on the wall is going to be replaced with a flat panel tv, 'cause we sure don't have enough tvs in this place!

In place of the shelves at the end of the room, we're putting in real cabinets with real doors to hide the real crap.

The other side of the room has a phone jack even though we don't use land lines. There's also the picture in the kitchen entry way that I've been meaning to hang for, oh, about a year now.

A view from the doorway. You can imagine the shelves replaced with cabinets and the table much smaller. We'll also be putting in hanging pendant lighting over the new table.

The kitchen door. It's invisible right now, but when we're finished, you'll be able to see it! We're putting in a nice french door. Tum has super human smelling ability and it drives him crazy when cooking smells permeate the rest of the house. He says it gets in everything everywhere and lasts for days. I never notice.

And a view into the kitchen from the hall. I wanted to have a focal point opposite the door, but the way things are working out right now, the extra wide refrigerator might be halfway into the space directly across from the door. This is something we're definitely going to have to work out.

And that's it for now. It's not really it, of course. I know a few dozen issues that are going to cause us major headaches. But I wanted to keep this optimistic. Let's see how long that lasts. Anybody care to make a wager?
Last edited by Michael on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:22 am

I give it until you have to get the refrigerator in there, and once it finally fits in there, then rerouting the water...have fun with that one!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:25 am

There's nothing hard about routing a refrigerator water supply line. We do it in my offices all the time. (Believe it or not, my job is to coordinate such things).

And the cabinetry is all getting changed. Custom made to fit around our new appliances.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:20 pm

Oh, it seems like something that would confuse me, but I'm not really a do it yourself kind of guy.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:49 am

neither am i!! :D :lol: :D :lol:

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue May 22, 2007 8:59 am

Day Eight - Through Day One Hundred and Ninety Four: Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Looking back at those before shots all those days ago, I can't help but think that the kitchen didn't look THAT bad... In fact, compared to the virtual war zone our place looks like now, it looks like paradise!

I took some pictures of little work we did between the last post and now, but never got around to uploading them. And now, I've completely lost them. So here are some shots from this weekend:

We tore out most of the drop ceiling except for the crucial pieces holding the light fixtures up. Well, sort of. We had a little accident with one. Did you know that when you tilt a florescent light fixtures, the cover and bulbs fall out and shatter on the floor causing bits of glass to embed in your feet for months afterwards? Neither did I.

We also put some 2x4 framing around the perimeter of the wall where the new sheet-rock ceiling will go. We're not putting it in until later because we need to frame out a little closet in the corner.

We also tore out the top of the window frame. Of course, the window is not level. OF COURSE... So we had to decide if we want the ceiling to be actually level which might make the window look off or if we want the ceiling slightly off level so the window looks right, but the cabinets might look off. We ended up opting to make the window off because we're hoping to hide it... Unlike the trashed kitchen that I'm unabashedly posting pictures of...

We yanked out the cabinets. The appliances are gone too. But where did they go? That's right... our living room! But it's okay. There's a path one can shimmy through to get from room to room. As long as your limber... I'm not.

The other side. I miss the table. It made a nice work surface. Did you know, in the five years we've lived there, I've only eaten at that table maybe three or four times?

Another shot from the door. I guess I was getting camera-happy, it's been so long!

Finally some tile goes down. It started off VERY quickly thanks to the fact the tiles are 18x18 and we didn't have to cut nearly every one (like the bathroom). This whole section took about two hours including cutting of the travertine with a very very dull blade. We only broke one tile (the dark one on the right), but it will be beneath cabinets anyway, so who gives a #$%&. But you can see the difference in tile quality. We argued for a while whether or not to rip up the old tile or lay the new tile on top. Tum won. We laid it over the tile. It actually helped things a lot. We already had lines to keep the tiles straight. And, unlike the bathroom, the surface is flat so the tiles edges are all pretty even.

Yup, that saw blade was just too dull, so we made our second trip of the day to Lowe's. Well, that's the official reason. Unofficially, we ran out of tile. Thankfully they still sell it. So we finished up the room (mostly). There's still the edge of the doorway to tile because we need to figure out the threshold. And also a couple triangular tiles against the walls are missing because we were low on tiles are were trying (in vain) to make it without that dreaded trip back to the hardware store. They will be covered by the cabinets, but I'd like to fill them in anyway now that we have extra. Heck, who cares if it takes more time. What's another couple months? Years? This project will never end anyway.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Tue May 22, 2007 1:21 pm

I thought you were making a model of the Cluedo kitchen!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue May 22, 2007 2:27 pm

Well, the tile looks really nice. This summer my house is going to be like that. We've already redone the kitchen and living room, but now my parents want new floors. This is on top of the edition and the pool and outdoor kitchen we are putting in. Should be fun to be living here this summer.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue May 22, 2007 7:35 pm

A cluedo kitchen would be cool!

Niteshade, your house sounds cool. You should post some pictures of your own!

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:11 am

oohh..clue kitchen! that would be fun (but then you'd have to go all the way and have the entire clue mansion!) :D

Brian
Hawkshaw

Post by Brian » Wed May 23, 2007 1:28 pm

I'd love a model of the whole mansion! It would be cool! :lol:

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:47 am

i had thought about making a "doll house" version but no time on my hands at the present! the thought just might have to wait!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Fri May 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Brian wrote:I'd love a model of the whole mansion! It would be cool! :lol:
Sombody on here made one once... who was it? Cluedokid??

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:11 pm

i think it was cluedokid!!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sat May 26, 2007 6:46 pm

It was me! With the cardboard, glue and scissors! In the Dining Room!

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Sat May 26, 2007 11:35 pm

Cardboard, glue, and scissors in the dining room? How inappropriate. That sort of thing should be done in a study.

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Sun May 27, 2007 2:06 am

And nobody died. What is this? Clue Junior? Clue mysteries? What would Mrs. Meadow-Brook say?