New Movies

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:01 am

I just got back from seeing it (there was a late showing after my grad dinner, and my "date" was due to turn back into a "pumpkin" at ten, and the dance party was beginning at around that time, so...yeah). I figured that if my date had to leave before the dancing, I didn't want to go home and cry about how I had "nothing to do" on prom night, so I had suggested to my parents that as soon as the dinner was over, I could change out of my dress and we could go see Toy Story 3 . Am I ever glad I did! :D It lives up to its hype, and it actually left me in tears by the end.
Be warned, though: It is not a kid's movie. It is a Disney movie. To give a better explanation without spoilers...think back to the early Disney films before the rise of PC-BS, like "Bambi" or "Dumbo".
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:04 am

Oh wow I so can't wait to see it now! :D

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:10 pm

Because it was a late showing, there were no families with kids; the people in the audience were teenagers who looked as though they were old enough to have seen the first two Toy Story movies when they came out as children.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 pm

It doesn't come out til 19th July here. :(

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 pm

It was really good. So sad though. I cried, I'll admit. Pixar movies have a way of getting to me.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 pm

I actually saw it last week, and I loved it. My mom insisted on buying me a Lotso bear from the Disney store the next day.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:19 am

I think I'll wait a few more weeks. I really hate seeing movies when there's a huge crowd.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

tyob123
Gumshoe

Post by tyob123 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm standing in the toy story toys aisle in Target ( not caring how stupid i look ) almost buying a woody doll. lol toy story 1 came out when i was around 4 then 7 for number two it holds a place in my heart lol
Flames on the side of my face!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 am

A bunch of Polish people all decided at random to go and see Toy Story 3 today, so I decided to go with them after all. I ended up seeing it in 3D, and boy, was it a treat! I generally dislike 3D, which, when I've seen it, is often overused and too distracting (such as Johnny Depp constantly throwing stuff at you in Alice in Wonderland- it was nauseating enough in 2D), but here, it is neither. The 3D effects (which have evolved amazingly since I last sat through a 3D movie) were really wisely used- the visuals were really nice and effective. But the film is above all entertaining. It's delightfully funny, sweet, suspenseful, and so on. It's a rare third installment that actually works. As someone who was just a (little) kid when the original Toy Story came out (I remember it was also the first VHS tape I ever got, for Christmas), it was really nice to see it all come full circle. A very enjoyable film!

The Twilight fans were shrieking their heads off when we exited though- Eclipse was due to start in a half hour. The theatre was packed with Twitards as far as the eye could see... The horror... the horror...
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:27 am

Now this looks absolutely disgraceful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-xT5fQrS4

I have no objections whatsover about making a mockery of Twilight but...HOW COULD THEY SHOOT ALICE?!?!?!?!

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:38 am

This is from the same team that brought us the hilarious Disaster Movie and Epic Movie. :roll:
Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer are a disgrace to movies of any kind everywhere. What they do is this: six months beforehand, they watch the trailers to movies that are going to be popular, dress up in the costumes from those movies, and hire actors from MadTV (like Ike Barinholtz and Crista Flanagan) and Carmen Elektra (who's probably there to take her shirt off). There is no scriptwriting process or anything remotely similar to one- their movies are entire crap from beginning to end.
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:50 am

Lol don't even bother with the real trailer. It's even worse. :lol:

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Inception is one of the most amazing films I've ever seen. And it wasn't even a horror movie.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:14 pm

I honestly think Inception is the 2001: A Space Odyssey for the next generation. Ten years down the road, it might be its own religion. It's a great, complex, original and (possibly most important) entertaining story, and really intelligent. ("How do I drop you without gravity?") So many questions spring up, and not just about that final scene (like some of Nolan's other movies- ending with a question mark instead of a period). So basically, it was all I hoped for and more. One of the very best movies I've ever seen.
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm so glad I saw it instead of The Last Exorcism, and I may go back and see it again. So far, there's only been two other movies that I've seen more than once in theaters. Though...last night when I got home from the show, I had one of the weirdest dreams ever. It really gets into your mind, huh?

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:25 am

Oh, certainly. It's as if the whole point of the movie is for Chris Nolan to perform inception himself on the audience.
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Anybody seen the new Resident Evil movie yet? I want to see it, but I didn't really like the last two. They just didn't have the same creepy vibe as the first one. They went a bit too sci-fi in my opinion.

I rented a couple movies this weekend
1) After Life - which was a really good Is-She? or Isn't-She? movie. It had a few parts that needed a bit of suspension of disbelief for the plot to be plausible, but overall was a pretty well crafted movie.
2) Diary of a Wimpy Kid - I wanted to watch a fun kids movie as a happy-feel-good sort of thing, but found that this movie wasn't that good at all. It did have a few laugh out loud moments, but the movie was very derivative and predictable. And the main character was sooo unlikeable. I didn't think he really earned his redemption in the end.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

The first Resident Evil movie did have its charm, but the others are really kind of awful.

However, I'm a fan of the games (Well, the first three at least), and naturally, it bugs me when source material is ignored or changed for no reason. For example, the movie version of Claire Redfield had nothing at all to do with her game counterpart. Her name was just slapped onto the character to remind everyone that these movies are based on a video game series.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:22 pm