Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 am

Alice in Burtonland. That was killer.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:45 pm

'Alice in Burtonland' describes the movie well. I was finally pursuaded to watch it by a bunch of my friends, and it was better than I expected, but not by much. The biggest surprise for me were Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, who looked hideous in the glimpses you get in the trailer, but who look far more pleasantly sillier in the actual film. Still, the film is filled with grotesque, Burntonesque touches, like a moat which Alice must step on human heads to cross. Wonderland looks hideous in some places, and really nice at others. It's weird to describe.

Johnny Depp... Sheesh, I hated his Hatter, especially with all the idiotic 'bonding' moments between him and Alice (who actually was very charming and sweet in the role). His constant repetition of the raven/writing desk riddle got to be absurd. It was a treat the first time, a bore the second, and so forth... Then he did a ridiculous dance at the end, and he broke into a weird Scottish accent when teed off.

Danny Elfman's music was great. The plot was predictable to the umpteenth degree. There were absolutely no surprises, and I was shocked at its predictability. There were, however, some nice references to the original work, and the Cheshire Cat was epic. I loved him!

So the movie was better than I expected, but not by very much. There was a very nice perhaps minute-long montage of the original Alice's adventures in Wonderland, and it was a great, unexpected treat. It was lovely, undoubtedly my favourite bit. If Burton had opted to adapt the novel, it might've turned out better. As it is, he bit off more than he could chew, and the result is a confused movie which is watchable, yet very predictable. It's more of a political commentary than a playful poke at how logical the world likes to be. Its strong cast (minus Johnny Depp) and excellent music steal the show.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 am

go_leafs_nation wrote:and he broke into a weird Scottish accent when teed off.
Ugh, I know what you mean.
go_leafs_nation wrote:Danny Elfman's music was great.
One of the best factors of the film. Just listening to it gives me the goosebumps.
go_leafs_nation wrote:There were, however, some nice references to the original work,
After re-reading the original books again, I noticed lots of little things that they featured in the film. For example, in Through the Looking Glass, Tweedledee and Tweedledum are scared off by a giant cloud that looks like a bird. In the film, they are both attacked and taken by the Jub Jub Bird.
go_leafs_nation wrote:and the Cheshire Cat was epic. I loved him!
Agreed. Stephen Fry was PERFECT.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:55 am

As far as "Burtonland" goes, I thought this video might be amusing to you guys. I especially like the part about Danny Elfman's music. And the costumes are funny.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1929453

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:17 am

Matt Damon's Green Zone is a very good thriller about events that you can easily believe might happen in real life. I won't bother debating whether its arguments about the Iraq war are right or wrong (I don't want to start a great big political debate), and it will probably draw fire for its portrayal of events. Yet it's a very good, very effective thriller.

Most noticeable is its use of the MTV-generation direction that I've grown to hate so much, yet it didn't bother me in the least- I barely noticed it, really, perhaps because the story drew me in completely. Unlike (say) Quantum of Solace (whose direction I hate), the cutting is just long enough so you can figure out what's going on- where everyone is in relation to each other, what shots are fired at whom, etc. The camera gets very shaky, but you can follow the action very easily.

But above all, it's a great, engaging story with some great acting. I used to hate Matt Damon (not sure why), but after a string of great performances, my opinion of him rose and rose- I think he's one of the most entertaining actors out there today. The music that was chosen for Green Zone is also very effective.
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:46 pm

So I'm unbelievably late in commenting on this, but they are remaking The Karate Kid.... WHAT? Well, the trailer doesn't look that bad, and while Jackie Chan is no Pat Morita, I think he might do a good job. Still, why is it being remade? Why???
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:54 pm

A better question would be why are any movies getting remade? Fair enough, films have been remade since the day the film industry began, but now there seems to be more of them than ever before. Is Hollywood that badly out of ideas?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:36 am

Is anyone else excited for Toy Story 3?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:46 am

No

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 am

Looks pretty good!
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:08 pm

I get a little teary-eyed by the beginning of the trailer. :cry:
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:07 pm

I will definitely see it. Kinda sad it doesn't seem to have Bo Peep in it. Also, I always imagined Andy and myself were pretty close in age. We seemed to be at least when the movies came out. However I'm graduating college and my sister (who is four years younger and seemed closer to Andy's sister's age at the time), is going into college. The preview looks funny though.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Finally I get around to seeing Up, and my goodness, it was beautiful!
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:08 am

Yeah, Up was great.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 am

The Oscars this year were so boring I didn't even bother catching up on who won, but it apparently won for Best Score (certainly deserved it) and was nominated for Best Picture (which, with ten nominees, isn't as big a deal, but still).
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Has anyone seen the new A Nightmare on Elm Street remake yet? I'm hesistant over it. The reviews are awfully bad. Then again, I'm not really surprised. Nightmare just doesn't work without Robert Englund.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun May 02, 2010 4:11 pm

I was supposed to see it today, but I had to change plans. I hope to get to the theater as soon as possible, though.

I'm looking to it with an open mind. Katie Cassidy may either save it or butcher it, at the extremes. She seems to curse horror movies.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:12 pm

I'll try to see Toy Story 3 tomorrow evening.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:18 pm

I haven't been to the theaters lately. My mom went to see Sex and the City 2 but I wasn't fond of the first movie so I didn't bother going.

You know what I'd like to see? Will and Grace the movie. They turned Sex and the City into a movie, why shouldn't they do the same for W&G?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Jane Poirot wrote:I'll try to see Toy Story 3 tomorrow evening.
It's gotten such good reviews. I'd like to see it as well!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?