New Movies

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:29 am

I don't think that's true. He did do Flubber, which I believe was a few years after Aladdin.

And I don't think the movie looks very good, but it's also not marketed towards my age group, so go figure.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:33 am

Oh, true. As far as I'm concerned, though, that movie never happened. You know a movie's in trouble when the only interesting character is a computer...
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:04 pm

Well, Ebert's review of Old Dogs was scathing to say the least. At least A Christmas Carol is out... I'd like to see that soon.
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 am

I definitely reccomend A Christmas Carol. I really, really loved it.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:12 am

go_leafs_nation wrote:Well, Ebert's review of Old Dogs was scathing to say the least. At least A Christmas Carol is out... I'd like to see that soon.
My parents saw it and they claimed it was great, but they often exaggerate.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:43 am

cacums wrote:My parents saw it and they claimed it was great, but they often exaggerate.
I think all parents do that. Like, when ever I play cluedo with them,they always accuss in a french/belguim accent.

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:01 am

Then again, go_leafs, go into it with an open mind. Don't expect a complete, flawless masterpiece otherwise it'll never live up to it's hype when you finally do see it. I often find that with movies.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I don't expect masterpieces when sitting down to Robin Williams' comedies, but if you read his review, it's kind of clear it's classic "modern Disney" humour.
Another clue: "funny moments" repeated in case we missed them. Example: Robin Williams test-drives a buckled-on, back-mounted device that allows him to fly. It loses power, and he drops into a pond. Wow, that was funny! Wait! Here it is again! Same drop, new angle! Twice as funny! Oh, no! A third drop! Ohmigod! Wait -- wait -- a fourth time? Usher, quick! Bring me oxygen!
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:04 am

Jane Poirot wrote:One movie I really want to see when it comes out is Alice in Wonderland .
I'm going to see it tonight in 3D. I can't wait. Visually, it looks amazing. It should be...interesting. :)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:29 am

I really want to see it but my friend cancelled on me.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:05 am

I refuse to, mainly because of the Mad Hatter's apperance. And Wonderland looks hideously out of place- a computer-animated movie's setting with real-life actors? No thanks. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum look like two boulders who decided one day to get up and walk around. All we need now is a queen with a head the size of Mount Everest. Wait, we have that too.

Tim Burton's a great artist, but I think he bit off more than he can chew this time around. Danny Elfman's music in the trailer sounds great, though.

I finally got the DVD of World's Greatest Dad. It's not a tears-streaming-down-your-face comedy, but it's very good, and the coincidence of its planned release just at the time of Michael Jackson's death makes it more hilarious. The main character is an @sshole if there ever was one, with no redeeming qualities whatsoever (disturbingly played by Daryl Sabara), but when his dad (Robin Williams) makes his accidental death (which happens in an equally disturbing way) look like suicide, he becomes a cult symbol at his school. Everyone's complete about-face where he is involved makes for some very sardonic comedy. (Was Michael Jackson nearly as revered by the media before his death as he was after dying? I saw an old episode of This Hour Has 22 Minutes, where a news item involved a boy falling into a machine with a crane where you fish for prizes. The newscaster then declared that Michael Jackson had already spent $50 trying to win him.)
~Ellery Queen

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Me and my friends just got back from Alice in Wonderland. I didn't read the book so I really don't know what exactly was suppose to happen, but when characters start saying "She doesn't remember her first time here!" its like, wtf, was there an original version with this cast that we missed? All in all it was farely good, I may have enjoyed the ending scene if I didn't have to go to the bathroom so badly...

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 pm

I know the feeling; I sometimes drink too much soda while watching a movie. What else is good about it?
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:03 pm

The graphics were fairly decent, the rest of the movie seemed kinda dragged out and pointless.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:25 pm

cacums wrote:Me and my friends just got back from Alice in Wonderland. I didn't read the book so I really don't know what exactly was suppose to happen, but when characters start saying "She doesn't remember her first time here!" its like, wtf, was there an original version with this cast that we missed? All in all it was farely good, I may have enjoyed the ending scene if I didn't have to go to the bathroom so badly...
The movie appears to be more of an adaptation of Through the Looking Glass, the sequel to Wonderland. So, yes, she was there already. The problem is the misleading title.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 am

(SLIGHT SPOILERS BELOW) - NOTHING MAJOR.

I didn't like it very much. It was fairly routine stuff. She's the 'chosen one' and must slay the Jabberwocky to free Wonderland from the Red Queen. That's it. I felt as though I'd seen it all before. The original novel is mainly just a metaphor for madness and Burton's attempt at giving it more logic seemed to diminish the original charm. It was pretty good...until Johnny Depp showed up. Helena Bonham Carter was far superior in this. Hathaway wasn't bad either. On a positive note, Danny Elfman's score was truly FANTASTIC! Easily the best part of the movie. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0FieYfiM4

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Very nice!!!! All I hope from Elfman and more!
But if this movie actually makes sense, instead of the delightful nonsense of the book, I won't be headed to the theatre any time soon.
~Ellery Queen

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:52 pm

It's like a sequel to Through the Looking Glass. An Alice in Wonderland 3, if you will.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Alice in Burtonland, perhaps? :lol:
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 am

Not really a movie, but Brent Butt's (creator of Corner Gas) new show, Hiccups, premiered in Canada two weeks ago, and it's a solid half hour of entertainment.

And the show following, Dan for Mayor, had scenes filmed in my town of Kitchener, apparently.
~Ellery Queen