New Movies

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm a big fan of the original Pirates of the Caribbean movies, which were really fun swashbuckling pirate movies. I'm kind of excited for the 4th one, even if Gore Verbinski isn't returning to direct. The trailer looks pretty fun.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi161323033/
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy have apparently signed on to play Catwoman and Bane in the upcoming Batman sequel The Dark Knight Rises. That's fairly exciting. Catwoman was excellently done already, but the only big-screen portrayal of Bane was the pathetic one in Batman and Robin. I mean, they reduced the criminal genius who literally broke Batman to an ape-man who couldn't utter a word.
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Black Swan was amazing. It's certainly not for everyone, especially with its flimsy plot. But it's the kind of artsy-fartsy dribble I love. And, hey, it managed to frighten the boys next to me who only came for the girl/girl sex scene. The whole film is rather terrifying. Even I, a jaded horror fanatic, had to cover my eyes at some parts.

To top it all off, Portman's really at her best.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:41 pm

I took a look at the new Scream 4 trailer which caught my eye on the IMDb homepage, and it looks pretty darn good! I saw the first one a while back and really enjoyed it, but I haven't seen the sequels yet.
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 am

Is there a release date yet?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:46 pm

April 14. Tony and I are going to see it. I DOES look pretty good. And, unlike the Saw movies, I can usually stomach slasher films like this... so it'll be fun :) I love the fact that the original cast is back.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Horror movies isn't my thing so I'll definatly stay away from it.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:38 pm

I haven't been looking forward to a movie this much in a long time. It really does look good. Here's hoping for Gale to come out alive again; she's always been my favorite.

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am

Mine too :P

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 pm

It's a bit late, but I saw The Lovely Bones at long last. What a train wreck. I thought the book, when I read it, was pretty weird, and I didn't enjoy it all that much. But, I thought to myself, if anyone can make a good movie out of it, it's Peter Jackson. Boy, was I ever wrong.

The movie is downright disturbingly creepy. Stanley Tucci is excellent as the villain, and the child actress playing Susie (Saoirse Ronan) is rather good, Actually, the acting is strong overall, with those two standing out. The good stuff ends there.

This is a creepy story about a girl who gets raped and murdered, and spends her time in a CGI wonderland having fun with all the other victims her killer has got to. Because... well, why not? And heck, you can reincarnate yourself to get a kiss from your crush from back when you were alive! No, no, don't bother pointing out who your killer was or tell your family to move on or anything. Just go for the kiss. (At least it's just a kiss here.)

Overall, the movie is incredibly disturbing, and its message is apparently that Susie Salmon's rape and murder makes her a happier person. What the--
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:55 pm

In anticipation of Scream 4, I've started watching the original trilogy. A while back, I saw Scream for the first time and loved it. I just finished watching Scream 2, which is just as fun as the original: sly, witty, often very funny, and an effective scary movie as well.

There's actually a lot to like in this movie. Scream mocked horror movies, Scream 2 takes a particular jab at horror movie sequels. It makes some good points. Death scenes, for instance, Randy points out, are always much more elaborate. There simply must be more blood. Scream 2 delivers on that front. Boy, I thought the first movie got bloody. But this one manages to outdo it. (The murder of Randy, for instance. The shot where all the stab wounds are blood are shown was somewhat disturbing.)

The great thing about the original Scream was that it was an excellent whodunnit while being a good satire and scary movie. I latched onto the killer's identity right away (by that I mean one of them), but through a touch of mad genius, my suspicions were suddenly redirected just before the denouement. It was excellently done and actually fair-- you can figure it out if you try to put the pieces of the puzzle together. Scream 2 again functions as a whodunnit, but with one major difference- it doesn't play fair. I actually figured out everything this time, but that was more or less a lucky guess, I suppose. (I even guessed the second killer's real identity, based on the moment Randy got attacked, right after he bad-mouthed Billy. I suddenly said to myself, "It's Mother!") The denouement was actually quite funny in a lot of ways, but the lack of fairness is my only problem with the movie.

Not that I don't like it. Like I said, it's every bit as fun as the original, and there are genuinely scary moments. One particularly ingenious moment is the seemingly impossible escape from the cop car, which is a brilliant exercise in silent suspense.

There's also a movie-within-a-movie which plays a relatively big role. It's Stab, based on the events of the first movie, and it is a wildly funny satire of bad horror movies. Look at the wild exagerration of the bad effect when "Casey" gets stabbed. It's absolutely hilarious.

There's a lot of really funny stuff, actually, such as Gale's new cameraman who desperately wants to avoid the last one's fate. The highlight may very well be Roger L. Jackson as the voice of Ghostface. What is it about Jackson's voice? It's wonderful: sardonic, creepy, and effective. I don't know how he manages to do it, but whatever the secret is, it's brilliant.

I'm a bit surprised, though, that I was able to stomach much of the blood in this movie. I'm usually somewhat squeamish, especially where disturbing horror-movie deaths are involved (such as the garage one in the original Scream). Maybe I'm getting desensitized.

I think I might want to give horror movies more of a chance than I have in the past. I've seen a few really great ones recently, be it the wonderfully atmospheric Sleepy Hollow or the Scream movies. I know there's a few horror movie aficionados on the forum. Does anyone have any suggestions?
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:09 am

For the supernatural: The Others, though not technically a horror movie, is great. The Skeptic is not bad either. Though, the very best of the best when it comes to ghost flicks are easily The Haunting (1963) and The Legend of H3ll House. Maybe The Orphanage too. Those three are VERY highly recommended.

For 'zombies': Of course, the Dead films rank among the best, especially Night and Dawn. Though, REC is my favorite if you don't mind "Cloverfield-Cam."

For slashers: Alice, Sweet Alice is Brooke Shields' debut, and it manages to be more than just another gore flick. I highly recommend this one too. Then, there's Argento. But he tends to be very, very, very gory. And he doesn't care for plot too much. Also, the original April Fools Day still stands as a favorite "whodunnit."

For aliens: The Faculty is reminiscent of Scream, but with monsters instead of a murderer. Not really horror in the end, though, I guess.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 am

Thank you for the recommendations. It may take me a while, but sooner or later, I will get around to them.

I did end up seeing Scream 3. My reaction, unfortunately, isn't nearly as enthusiastic as that to Scream 2. It starts off fun enough, and has an interesting plot idea (which I thought would be the natural plot to use for Scream 2).

Unfortunately, it isn't nearly as good. The idea for "rules of a trilogy" is a desperate rehash of the second film. Basically, all the rules of the second movie apply, with a quick cameo to try and tell you "no, no, there's a NEW set of rules!" And while the second movie was somewhat unfair, this third installment flat-out cheats with the whodunnit aspect. There are no clues whatsoever, and there is a cheap cop-out to try and deflect your suspicions. (Ironically, this gives everything away, because everyone's death is shown but one person's, and thus, that person's death is an obvious fake.)

But there are some good touches. The "backstory" element reminded me of Rob Zombie's Hallowe'en 2 (I didn't suffer through the whole thing, but I've seen much of it) with its obvious attempts at artistry and symbolism. Perhaps that'll be a more obvious target in Scream 4. I dunno. A lot of the previous jokes are recycled, and it doesn't seem like a particularly necessary movie. But it's fun enough at times. Roger L. Jackson is terrific as the killer's voice. It's not as good a sequel as Scream 2, but I don't mind it too much. I could take it or leave it.
~Ellery Queen

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 am

When I saw this trailer for Your Highness, I thought it might be somewhat amusing. But then I saw the restricted trailer and was disappointed. The jokes I liked in the original trailer were a lot poorer, and the pointless profanity just wasn't funny... but it's like the filmmakers expected it to be.
~Ellery Queen

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:39 am

Scream 4 was great! It didn't surpass the original, but I can say that I enjoyed more than I enjoyed Scream 2 or Scream 3.

The new generation of victims generally put in good performances, and the
action and kills are up to a whole new level of intensity. Plus, the new guilty party is surprisingly effective.