Who hates other drivers?

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Who hates other drivers?

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:54 pm

Ooh... I do! I do!!

There must be some toxin (along with the usual) that turns the normal average Joe into the mindless New Jersey Driver. Ugh, I hate them. I hate them all.

I used to get such enjoyment out of driving... but since I've moved to Jersey it's more like just something that must be endured.

Why, oh why can't people understand the rules of the road? Why are turn signals a foreign concept to them? What's so hard about slow drivers needing to stay to the right and fast drivers need to pass on the left? And why can't people just get off their god-damned cellphones?

Someone actually had the nerve to give us the finger today. They were holding up a line of cars by driving slow in the left lane. There was room for him to get over into the right lane, but not enough room for anybody to pass on the right. We flashed our lights once to say, "hey idiot, get the ***** out the way". I felt this was reasonable assuming maybe he didn't notice us behind him. But instead of getting over, he gave us the finger. Finally, when we were able to get around him, of course, he decides to speed up. But haha, the loser in his junky Corolla or whatever was no match for our FX45 and we soon left them in our dust. i of course, gave him the finger as we sped away. hehe. Driving in Jersey brings out the worst in me as well. Granted, I'm not a saint when it comes to being behind the wheel, but I don't impede traffic. The whole ugly incident could have been avoided if the dumb driver would thought to himself... "gee... maybe driving slow in the passing lane ISN'T the best option..."

Do you have any rants you'd like to share?
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Heheh

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm

Michael,

I couldn't agree with you more about bad drivers. There really ought to be some sort of monitoring agency who tracks all driving decisions. Infrequent mishaps of a purely benign sort (taking the wrong fork in the highway and sliding quickly over the painted median without hitting anyone or cutting anyone off) would be overlooked. On the other hand, if this were a habit, or if there is a consistent failure to signal, or a penchant for running lights or taking up two lanes were to develop, a device gets installed in the car which, when it detects another similar error, takes over piloting the vehicle for a moment and gut-punches the driver with something very blunt and heavy steel. Hopefully, this clown recovers in time to resume piloting the vehicle when the auto-pilot kicks off, but in any case, he'll learn to do better, or else he'll rupture a spleen, in which case, at least he's off the road.

Um. Joke.

I just get really frustrated with these people, too. My boyfriend seems to attract them. People will feel the need to teach him how to drive -- they'll start out behind him, pull into the next lane, speed up and pass him only to pull back into his lane in front of him and slow down. If he should try to get into the next lane to get around them, they speed up to keep him out. No doubt this is not an unusual story, except that it happens to him all the time.

Once he was driving through a small town late at night on his way through to go home. At a traffic circle, he sees a small red car with a girl and guy in the front seats (don't remember which is the driver). It's just sitting there at the entrance to the traffic circle, with nobody coming into it, so he honks. The occupants turn their heads, and the driver gets nudged and starts off down the road. Mitch happens to need to take the same road, so he follows them.

Apparently, he's able to see that the front-seat passenger keeps looking around to see him, and then leans in and says something to the driver. Towards the bottom of the hill, the red car does a brake-check. Now, brake-checks are fairly stupid as it is, usually, slowing way down just because you think your perspective is more important than that of the driver behind you -- but worse still this idiot stops dead.

Now Mitch, being the good driver that he is, is able to stop in time -- with plenty of distance between his front fender and the red car. The guy behind him -- not so fortunate. This guy has just finished re-outfitting an expensive project car, and he's unable to stop in time and his car sits just low enough the back of Mitch's work van crumples quite a lot of the guy's front end and crushes the engine block -- in such a way that the back of the van has hardly a ding on it, after.

This happens outside a gas station, so when the attendants see the guy in the car behind Mitch get out and start yelling and cussing Mitch out, they call the police. The guy is calmed down, in time, and when the police conduct their interviews, the red car's driver doesn't try for any excuse -- says flat out, "We thought he was following too close and brake-checked him."

Brake-checking is not a right in this state, and I should have thought that causing so violent and disruptive and needless a maneuver would be illegal, but apparently not. No tickets were issued, and the insurance companies are holding the guy responsible who hit Mitch, because since he was the only person to rear-end anyone, he must have been following too close, so he's at fault -- even though he's also the only one to get hurt by the accident.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Oooh, those people who "breakcheck" as you call it (I've never heard that term before) are so stupid. But they CAN be held liable. I remember reading about a road rage incident where one car sped up in front of another and slammed their breaks. The car behind him swerved to avoid them and ran off the road and hit another car. People were killed. And the idiot who slammed on his breaks was charged with murder.

People go crazy behind the wheel!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Yes

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 pm

Indeed! Some friends of ours from another state said that in their home state the driver in this case would have been charged with Vehicular Manslaughter -- even though nobody was actually injured, the inherent responsibility in operating a car would have left them open to criminal charges.

As it is, I wonder if the poor guy whose car was wrecked wouldn't have a good case for civil court.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:53 pm

i just got my a** riden by some nasty lookin guy in a pick up truck on the way from work!
then he had the nerve to give me the bird and honk at me!
i was not a happy camper!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Well, I have one story of real road rage... Some from me... some from another driver. it was at the mall parking garage during that wonderful time right before the holidays. Now, here in Jersey, you usually have to circle (literally for a long long time) before finding a parking spot. Anyway, we were at an intersection where two lanes merge into one to go up the ramp. WELL, don't you hate those people that refuse to alternate!! One car from this side... one car from that side... It's not a hard concept.

Anyway, as to be expected, some guy inches really close to the car in front of him so that we can't alternate. WELL, Tum does NOT stand for that. He'd rather have the car hit him than give in. So we kept inching up as well. Perhaps the fact that we were driving a BMW and he was in a junk mobile scared him into backing off before he hit us. So, of course, I gave him the finger! As I said before, Jersey driving gets the better of me. Well, the guy totally freaks out. You can see him screaming something in his car. So he starts tailgating us. Okay, now we did bad here... Stomped hard on the breaks. He almost hits us... but doesn't back off. So we do it again... Finally when we turn the corner, he speeds around us (about hitting another car) and screeches to a halt in front of us, jumps out of his car and runs back to us hitting our car and trying to open the door! Ooooh, I wish I had pepperspray. But the idiot parked right past another intersection, so we simply turned and sped off. There was mall security on the next level, but, no surprise, they were useless and didn't want to do anything. I wanted to have the man arrested! Hehehe.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:08 pm

you know what that reminds me of?!
when i was little and someone was *beep* my dad of he'd make me and my brothers give them the finger!
he'd shout out finger kids and there we'd go,...little kids with our middle fingers out the window!
so bad!!

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 am

i just hate drivers period
"We must find that woman!"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:43 pm

cluegirl104 wrote:you know what that reminds me of?!
when i was little and someone was ******* my dad of he'd make me and my brothers give them the finger!
he'd shout out finger kids and there we'd go,...little kids with our middle fingers out the window!
so bad!!
LOL! That's the funniest thing I've read in a while!!

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:43 pm

thanks,....my dad is a nut like that!
he would do similiar stuff like that especially watching football!
if the vikings didn't win (which is often) he'd have us all cussing and throwing pillows at the t.v!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:54 pm

OHhhhh! I also love flipping off random people in their cars.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:56 pm

that is wrong!
now done lecturing :D :D :D

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Another fun thing is when your at a red light stare at the person in the car next to you. See how long it takes for them to notice and keep staring!

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:00 pm

been there,..done that!
ever done the same thing at a shopping mall!?
that was a project of ours in school,..it was a riot!

PrinceAzure33
Diplomatically Immune

Post by PrinceAzure33 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Me too, if I'm feeling michevious, I'll flip off randomly and I always stare at people and when they look at me, I'm like, What the *beep* you looking at you freak?! face. :lol:
Oh, it's England. Croquet on the lawn, tea in silver teapots, sherry before dinner. One simply has to maintain one's standards!

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:55 pm

in a class in high school we were studying conditioning so one of our projects was to go to a mall and stare at people anything and report what happened!
this one lady was all dressed up,..heels and all and i stared at her no grin or anything! she walked away staring at me the whole time and got a security gaurd!
i about died laughing as she stood there telling him i stared at her and it scared her!

Tum
Accomplice

Post by Tum » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:11 pm

I like how Michael steals all my good car stories.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:13 pm

Okay... i have a ten minute walk between the train station I use and my home. I had a function after work, so I didn't come home until close to 10pm - well after dark. I saw, not one, but TWO different vehicles (one a semi truck!) that had their headlights off. BOTH vehicles were driven by people on their cellphones. UNBELIEVABLE. No, that's not true. It's too believable. People who talk on their cell phones and think they can drive appropriately are sooo wrong. They should be put in jail. How many people have been killed by such stupid idiots?!

Tum
Accomplice

Post by Tum » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:20 pm

There was one time when we were going into the Holland Tunnel, someone in a big SUV kept inching into our lane. He could have kept in his lane but wanted over for some reason. No signal, not alternating with other cars. He gave us nasty looks and thought that since we were driving a small BMW we would get out of his way. I did not yield since he was the one coming into my path.

Our side view mirror ended up scraping / scratching a 4 ft long scratch down the side of his car. No damage to our car.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:19 pm

i almost got forced to ram into a light post on monday (not only the day of our really bad snow storm but also my tooth shattering) i really thought we weren't going to make it! some stupid person kept inching towords us and swerving and just playing driving like they were drunk! it was awful!!!!