Academy Awards

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:23 pm

It's tonight? Darn, I have to work until 11:00, I guess I'll miss most of it.

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:37 pm

its not like you'll actually miss anything

anything really important they play on the news until wednesday
"We must find that woman!"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:02 pm

The best part is watching Joan Rivers rip on people's outfits beforehand!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:04 pm

shes not dead yet?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:11 pm

She's only 73.

boddysattorney
Gumshoe

Post by boddysattorney » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:00 pm

minus plastic surgery and face lifts she actually rounds off to 41

cluegirl104
"I NEED to watch the movie again!!"

Post by cluegirl104 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:53 pm

hey my great gramma is 83 and she looks like she is 50!!
but i do agree, joan rivers ripping on the outfits,...completely worth all the other bore!!
tonight is chinese food and a game of rummy!!
i will completely loose but thats okay!
i tried to get my gramma to try another round of clue but it isn't happening,..she finds it too confusing!
Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless b!tch

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:04 am

I'm soooo happy! THERE WAS FINALLY AN UPSET IN THE OSCARS! After years of boring predictions coming true, finally, CRASH beat out BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN! I'm so happy! I LOVED Crash! It was so good. I'm grinning from ear to ear right now! And I'm very happy for Reese Witherspoon and George Clooney, they are two of my favorite actors in Hollywood.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:24 am

:D :D
didn't watch,...did i miss anything?!?!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:41 am

There have been plenty of oscar upsets in movie history... but the sad thing is that there is a lot of talk of academy members refusing to even screen Brokeback Mountain. That throws a terrible light on the whole system, in my opinion. It's flawed.

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:35 am

some people are clueless and narrow minded,...it's sad but true!

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:35 pm

i just find it stupid in the first place, who cares who wins 'best actor' or 'best motion picture' it's all a load of bull. Queen Latifa was all "us younger peoples knows whats hip, we gonna be votin for whats coo an' hip jus like the people with kids vote fo what thei kids wan em to"

Academy Awards is a waste of time and money, why the bleedin heck do we waste money for it? I mean there are millions of starving people out there and we pay money for those rich retards to eat caviar, drink champaign, and have a gay ol' time; while an old black woman in her 80s walks around town in ragged clothes and shopping bags full of junk in hopes of recycling it for enough money for a decent meal.

You think the Academy Awards are flawed? When did you figure this out, anything coming from america is flawed, Our entire government is ran by incompitent fools. Our rights are stepped on and we say its alright because they have the right to invade our privacy. They say we're being unconstitutional for not letting them, THEY are the ones that arent being constitutional. We have the right to overthrow and replace the government if it doesnt do as the people think it should, well wake up people! The government is flawed, we're all total idiots for letting them do half the crap they do. Why arent we doing anything about them? Why doesnt anyone stand up with those of us that try to make a stand? Feh, you should know by now if the government is going to spend its money on helping "third world countries" when its own citizens aren't even in great condition that there is something wrong with our government
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

ClueBoy12
Informant

Post by ClueBoy12 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:45 pm

NTD Mouse wrote:i just find it stupid in the first place, who cares who wins 'best actor' or 'best motion picture' it's all a load of bull. Queen Latifa was all "us younger peoples knows whats hip, we gonna be votin for whats coo an' hip jus like the people with kids vote fo what thei kids wan em to"

Academy Awards is a waste of time and money, why the bleedin heck do we waste money for it? I mean there are millions of starving people out there and we pay money for those rich retards to eat caviar, drink champaign, and have a gay ol' time; while an old black woman in her 80s walks around town in ragged clothes and shopping bags full of junk in hopes of recycling it for enough money for a decent meal.

You think the Academy Awards are flawed? When did you figure this out, anything coming from america is flawed, Our entire government is ran by incompitent fools. Our rights are stepped on and we say its alright because they have the right to invade our privacy. They say we're being unconstitutional for not letting them, THEY are the ones that arent being constitutional. We have the right to overthrow and replace the government if it doesnt do as the people think it should, well wake up people! The government is flawed, we're all total idiots for letting them do half the crap they do. Why arent we doing anything about them? Why doesnt anyone stand up with those of us that try to make a stand? Feh, you should know by now if the government is going to spend its money on helping "third world countries" when its own citizens aren't even in great condition that there is something wrong with our government
OK, first of all, since when do "we" pay for the Oscars, last time I checked, the general population of America doesn't go out and buy caviar for the stars....

Queen Latifah is a wonderful singer and actress and there is absolutely no need to insult her by insinuating she talks in uneducated slang.

Best actor, best movie, their great awards to show people that their work is appreciated. Movies impact our lives, and its only right to let all these wonderful people who make this wonders come together know that their work is appreciated.

As for the government, I stay out of politics, but it sounds like someones an anarchist or something over there....chill out, and start a debate thread or something if you have government issues to rant about.

As for Michael's post, I didn't see Broke-back Mt., I haven't seen it, I'm waiting for it to come out on video, but I do think it wasn't right that some did not screen BBM.

And at that, i bring my long post to an end.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Well, don't hold back, there, NTD!

Back on topic, though... I was rooting for Dolly Parton to win the song category. I can live with the fact that she didn't win, but I was SHOCKED when those rappers won it. I mean, really, what was the academy thinking?!

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:00 pm

I know, rap is not nearly as talented as actual singing, plus, I love Dolly Parton :wink:

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:19 pm

I found an interesting article on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11700333/

An excerpt:

Oscar misfire: ‘Crash’ and burn
The Academy takes yet another step toward irrelevance with its latest pick:

Talk about ruining a perfect evening.

Jon Stewart was funny, George Clooney was sharp, Salma Hayek looked to-freakin’-die-for, Philip Seymour Hoffman won in humble-but-lovable fashion and Ang Lee, the director of one of the best movies of the year, became the first non-Caucasian to win the Academy Award for best director.

Then Jack Nicholson, presenting the best picture winner, ruined everything. He didn’t say “Brokeback Mountain�; he actually said…“Crash.�

No, he didn’t. Did he? He did.

My god.

This is the worst best picture winner since “The Greatest Show on Earth� in 1952. It may be worse than that. “Greatest Show� was a dull, bloated romance set against the backdrop of a three-ring circus but at least it didn’t pretend to be important. “Crash� thinks it’s important. “Crash� thinks it’s saying something bold about racism in America.

But what is it saying?

That we all bear some form of racism. That we all “stereotype� other races. That, when pressured, racist sentiments spill out of us as easily as escaped air.

Here’s my take. Yes, we all bear some form of racism — that’s obvious. Yes, we all “stereotype� other races in some fashion — that’s obvious. (Particularly obvious in the Los Angeles of “Crash,� where so many characters are stereotypes.) But, no, we don’t easily give voice to our racist sentiments. And that’s why “Crash� rings so false.

So why did it win?

There are rumors that older Academy members shied away from even viewing “Brokeback Mountain� for the usual homophobic reasons. Lionsgate also pushed “Crash� on Academy voters; it handed out a record number of DVDs and advertised heavily. I don’t know which explanation bothers me more. All I know is I feel sick. It feels like the ’72 Olympic basketball finals, when the Russians cheated and won; it feels like the ’85 World Series when a blown call in game six tilted the balance towards the Royals. It feels like the good guys wuz robbed.

The Academy, he said afterwards, “is not a serious body of voters who vote rationally. If they’re influenced by a DVD sales pitch, they’re not worth my time.�

Are they worth anyone’s time? Once again, they showed themselves susceptible to something other than a legitimate search for “the best.� Once again, marketing appears to have won. The Academy is 78 years old and acting every bit of it, and last night they took another doddering step towards irrelevancy.

Niteshade007

Post by Niteshade007 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:43 pm

Well, in defense of "Crash", if you actually know people who are police officers, they do react almost instantly to race. I speak from experience, as my grandparents and their friends are all cops. Also, I liked that each character had a really bad side and a really good side. Matt Dillon's character especially. He was shown to be such a racist jerk, but even the most hated people in the world have at least one person that they love. In Dillon's case, it was his father. No one is entirely evil. Each of the essentially bad characters was given a chance to redeem themselves, and each, in turn, did. If they started off as an essentially good character, like Ryan Phillippe or Don Cheadle did, then by the end of the film they had given up that goodness. But that's just my take on it. I can't say it was better than Brokeback Mountain because I haven't seen it. I do find it hard to believe that people wouldn't watch a movie, and I do question the validity of that.

NTD Mouse
Slueth

Post by NTD Mouse » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:48 pm

what really ticked me off was that my favorite radio station made fun of Mr. Ang Lee this morning by saying

"Even though he didn't win best director (or film which ever he didnt win) I think it's safe to say he could of won the award for most bitter"

then they had a fake phone call from him which was from Mr. "Angry"
<.<;
;>.>

*hides crowbar*

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:52 pm

I guess that was in ref. to best film. He did win best director.

I know it was only a joke, but I could understand why he would be upset. The movie really was robbed!

cluegirl104

Post by cluegirl104 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:48 pm

boy,..i missed out!!