Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:27 am

EDIT.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I hate my "major" professor. She wants something that is topical to be put in chronological order because it would make more sense. :x :roll: She is one of those that changes her mind and penalizes you for not figuring this out.

Mr. Sterling Silver
Private Eye

Post by Mr. Sterling Silver » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:12 am

Backstage foolishness:

I was in rehearsal for a production of "Amadeus." The director and the two actors playing Mozart and Salieri were no longer on speaking terms, so the director had taken to communicating with the whole cast entirely by Post-It Notes. On opening night, literally two seconds before I was going to go onto the stage, I got a note from him that said, "Nothing you're doing is working."

Fine time to tell me. I was so furious that I just shut down. I walked onto the stage and recited my lines. I didn't act. I didn't try to act. I just went on, said what I was supposed to, and went off.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:58 pm

I would have done the same thing!

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Today was the dress rehearsal of our production. In the scene that I'm in (we were divided into groups and each group got a scene) I basically talk to one person. That person didn't show for their call (even though she was there when the director called us) and I was onstage saying my lines to myself... arguing with the air. Thank God it was just a dress rehearsal.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:34 pm

The following trope is the motto my drama teacher and the student council swear by:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... lwaysWrong
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:18 pm

The situation in drama has FINALLY been resolved: After spring break, I will be taking Phys Ed instead of drama. Getting hit in the face with a vollyball repeatedly is paradise compared to listening to someone say all musicals, including Sweeney Todd , are cheesy. Yes, my drama teacher had the nerve to say that about musicals. And one person in my class did say Sweeney Todd is cheesy and everyone agreed.
You might say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but this is the type of crap I've had to put up with five days a week (sick days and in-services not included) for the past month. Every bad thing that happens is my fault. If my group ignores me, my teacher never says it's because they are unmotivated, nor does she try to get them to work with me. Instead, it's always MY fault for being negative and "hurting their feelings" by giving them advice on how to IMPROVE their acting, NOT by telling them what bad actors they are. When I try to explain where I'm coming from, she says, "Then don't look at it as drama class; look at it as learning-to-get-along class." Yes, those were her exact words.
ANYTHING would've made me march down to the counsellor's office to change courses at that point. Even if it was a comment on my hair, I would've gone.
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 pm

Ooh, I'm sorry, JanePoirot. That's terrible.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm

SWEENEY TODD IS NOT CHEESEY!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Feel the wrath of-------

Image :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:34 pm

Have you spoken to your drama teacher in private about the problem? Have you spoken to the headmaster (presuming your in school)? Maybe you should try and explain your feelings without the rest of the arrogant class making up excuses for their own lazy behaviour. It seems a shame to miss out on such a great subject. Either that, or get your parents/guardians to file a complaint and get the b***h sacked.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm trying to convince my musical theater teacher to do Sweeney Todd! She said that if we do, it will be in a year or so and she said that I'd be either Anthony or Toby :D

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

Post by Niteshade007 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't know, Jane Poirot, it sounds kind of like you're taking the class a little too seriously. If no one else is giving harsh advice, it's kind of cold for you to do it to your classmates. I understand constructive criticism, as a creative writing major I have to deal with it all the time. But considering that this is high school, I doubt your classmates are seriously thinking about a career in acting. Getting along with people you don't like is something that would be more useful than an actual drama class, even though it is the extracurricular you chose.

As far as the comment about the musicals go, I don't see what's so bad about that. I've had differing opinions with teachers before. No one is going to like everything you like.

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 pm

Wow. Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions. I have TRIED speaking with my teacher in private, but it doesn't really help. I haven't spoken to the 'principal' (as is said over here), but I have spoken to the counsellor and she is on my side and trying to make the situation better (in fact, whenever I ask how her talk with the teacher went, I somehow get the feeling she's giving me a watered down version of what REALLY went down).
And yes, Niteshade, I have heard that before from my mother. In fact, my parents thought I was just having a hard time adjusting to having a new teacher (I had a different--and much better--one last year), until they talked to her in the parent teacher interviews. They back me up on my decision to take Phys Ed, and so does the counsellor, so in the mean time, I will tough it out until spring break and start anew with Phys Ed, which I am assured will help me with my acting skills in terms of body movement.
And while people are entitled to have different tastes, the way she said it sort of implied she didn't take it too seriously, as though she didn't think it was an art form, when in fact, it IS an art form. It may not be an art form that appeals to everybody, but it DOES involve needing the ability to act, sing, AND dance which is a LOT of hard work. It's kind of like sports--I am not a sports fanatic, but that doesn't mean athletes don't work just as hard as actors do (physically, at least), or that it's any less serious than acting.
And I am glad to see someone else does not think Sweeney Todd is cheesy. :)

Kristev
Crime Writer

Post by Kristev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 pm

I am not really a fan of Sweeny Todd, to be honest. But I know theatre is an art. And musicals are only cheesy if you let them be.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Can't resist throwing in my two cents, but I'll vanish after this post for a while:
I'm not a fan of musicals. Great concept on paper, yes. But oftentimes, actors stop acting when they sing, focusing on belting out the song, or singers can't act. And a lot of times, you get a director who messes things up (Joel Schumacher, anyone?). But I appreciate that people like them, and there are a few that I like myself. (Oliver! in particular. Sweeney Todd is good too.)
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:23 pm

What's ironic is that I am the only one who can't stand this teacher; all the other kids LOVE her because we play games most of the time and she only makes them do easy to moderate work. Everyone hated last year's teacher because she--gasp!--made them work.
Of course, she also teaches English, so that's probably part of the reason why she was so much better because she at least UNDERSTOOD what she was teaching, unlike this year's teacher, who gets the CONCEPT and that's it.

Snively
Snoop

Post by Snively » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:06 am

Jane Poirot wrote:The situation in drama has FINALLY been resolved: After spring break, I will be taking Phys Ed instead of drama. Getting hit in the face with a vollyball repeatedly is paradise compared to listening to someone say all musicals, including Sweeney Todd , are cheesy. Yes, my drama teacher had the nerve to say that about musicals. And one person in my class did say Sweeney Todd is cheesy and everyone agreed.
You might say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but this is the type of crap I've had to put up with five days a week (sick days and in-services not included) for the past month. Every bad thing that happens is my fault. If my group ignores me, my teacher never says it's because they are unmotivated, nor does she try to get them to work with me. Instead, it's always MY fault for being negative and "hurting their feelings" by giving them advice on how to IMPROVE their acting, NOT by telling them what bad actors they are. When I try to explain where I'm coming from, she says, "Then don't look at it as drama class; look at it as learning-to-get-along class." Yes, those were her exact words.
ANYTHING would've made me march down to the counsellor's office to change courses at that point. Even if it was a comment on my hair, I would've gone.
Oh my god, what a horrible horrible drama teacher...

Shes like the airhead one me and SprialHeart had in eight grade. She had to make parts for us in her play she wrote (it was horrible) because she thought me and her didn't act like the characters on her list.

Isn't that the point of acting? I wouldn't call myself a good actor, but I'm certainly not bad, and I know I can play the bad guy (she wouldn't let me because I was TOO nice)

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:46 am

My sister's drama teacher was evil. He hated her, and did his best to fail her whenever he possibly could.
~Ellery Queen

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:50 am

Know what it's like in the movies when other people constantly talk up another character about, for example, how 'brilliant' at writing they are, and then when you get a sneak peek of this 'brilliant' writing, it is absolutely God-awful? That was how it was; there were some TAs around looking after the 'special needs' kids and when I tried to bring the situation to their eyes, hoping to get SOME kind of in-class help, they'd go on and on about how she was a 'great' and 'wonderful' drama teacher and say I was wrong for being 'so negative'. The only person who believed me was the counsellor and she would do everything she could to help me cope or convince the drama teacher I'm not the emotionally unstable psycho she thinks I am. In fact, she herself said that if the principal talked to HER like that, she'd be furious and halfway out the door!
As for your sister's drama teacher, go leafs, please tell me SOMEONE helped her with THAT.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm afraid not. After parent-teacher night, my parents were finally convinced she wasn't using a classic excuse, but by then, it was too late to change courses. The drama teacher then got doubly mad at my sister because he had been really rude to my parents, who reported to the principal, who "warned" him. So he, on purpose, assigned her the hardest things he could find, with the worst partners.

The moral of the story:
Not all stories have a happy end.
~Ellery Queen